• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    A new tower went up in Westminster by the Walmart and across the street from the new Point Breeze Credit Union.

Surveillance? Communications? Russians? Aliens?

tower.jpg tower 2.jpg

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    There were quite a few of these that looked similar throughout London. New technology?

Probably a zoning and land use issue. Sometimes the NIMBYs force the comm companies to make the towers 'look prettier', at times even requiring them to 'look like trees'.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    There are quite a few of these being put up around town. I thought they were for the new Ting network that has a contract with Westminster.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It appears to be omni-directional compared to the conventional antenna array like these:

Attachments

• stock-photo-telecommunications-equipment-directional-mobile-phone-antenna-dishes-wireless-commun.jpg
      stock-photo-telecommunications-equipment-directional-mobile-phone-antenna-dishes-wireless-commun.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 629

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It appears to be omni-directional compared to the conventional antenna array like these:

It's an architectural shroud around many small vertically lined up directional antennas. Microwave spectrum is so expensive that the cell carriers would not waste any of it with a omnidirectional antenna.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Those of you familar with Scott's Gunsmithing have probably noticed the tower across the street at Corkran Middle School masquerading as the school's sign.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    There's one dressed like a tree on the north side of 200. Sticks out like a sore....

Yeah, if you see some weird-ass tree, it's often not a tree.

I personally think a tubular tower with identical antennas lined up along the shaft looks least intrusive. Freestanding lattice towers with a crows nest on top and different carriers antenna farms spread along the top third are the ugliest.

Last edited:

empire550

Spoons made me fat
    Nov 1, 2011
    There is also a giant flag pole by the airport at the trucking place that is a tower.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They want to place a few of these "small towers" along the boardwalk in OC. I think that idea was scrapped.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I stopped as the crew was installing the one by Walmart. I asked. Excuse me, can you guys tell me what that thing is. Smart ass with a beard says "it's a pole" then I ask well what's the thing on the top he said "it's a topper". So I was like ok thanks Di**. And drove away.

Those things are all over now.

There are a few with out the topper. One next the chic fil. And the bank.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Looks like a new mini cell to me, they are usually used to help with coverage and capacity in a growing area to avoid having to build another full size macro cell site. You'll probably gonna notice them popping up all over. Eventually they're gonna put a lot of them in street light poles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom