• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Can someone remind me if two gun is Tac Optics or Unlimited equipment rules?

Take your pic. We do not really care about 2 gun as a division. It is just there for those who want to try 3 gun but don't have the shotgun equipment it takes to compete. Most 2 gun shooters become 3 gun shooters within a month or two.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Take your pic. We do not really care about 2 gun as a division. It is just there for those who want to try 3 gun but don't have the shotgun equipment it takes to compete. Most 2 gun shooters become 3 gun shooters within a month or two.
    Yeah, I'm really just doing it because my shotgun is over at MOA Precision getting the fancy pants treatment, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get my Saiga 12 tuned in time for use in Unlimited (which sucks, I forgot how much I love it).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I'm really just doing it because my shotgun is over at MOA Precision getting the fancy pants treatment, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get my Saiga 12 tuned in time for use in Unlimited (which sucks, I forgot how much I love it).

Bring your gear and borrow a shotgun. I can make that happen if you want it to.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I have a question and I hope that I don't get my head ripped off. I'm looking to get into Steel challenge matches. I've been doing a lot of research online on what gear I'll need. Could someone take a minute and let me know what I'll truly need without going over the top. Thank you for your time

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a question and I hope that I don't get my head ripped off. I'm looking to get into Steel challenge matches. I've been doing a lot of research online on what gear I'll need. Could someone take a minute and let me know what I'll truly need without going over the top. Thank you for your time

Assuming pistol?

1) A holster like a CompTac International or Blade Tech. It used to be that AGC did not allow leather or IWB holsters. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case anymore...but you wouldn't want one anyway.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NFS82P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZZYJMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2) Magazines. If they are MD mags (10rnds) I would say 5. For the "standard-ish" steel challenge stages, you'll have to shoot 5 targets in each of 5 strings. You can (and should) change mags between strings, but, in the interest of moving things along, they don't want you reloading mags at the shooting box. So unless you never miss, I would plan on 1 MD mag per string. If you have standard capacity mags of 15+, you could certainly get more than one string out of a mag.

3) PPE: ear protection and wrap around eyeprotection. I like to wear a hat, too.

4) at least 250 rnds (depending on how much you plan to miss). It's always nicer to take ammo home than have to beg for some there.

That's all you really NEED

5)you will want a mag carrier or two. Pockets work, and a lot of people start out that way...but you'll want a mag carrier
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6NDKND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5.5) I really like using a 2 piece competition belt. It's probably more important for 3 gun, but you can't beat the convenience of being able to take your gear on and off without messing with belt loops.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Assuming pistol?

1) A holster like a CompTac International or Blade Tech. It used to be that AGC did not allow leather or IWB holsters. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case anymore...but you wouldn't want one anyway.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NFS82P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZZYJMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2) Magazines. If they are MD mags (10rnds) I would say 5. For the "standard-ish" steel challenge stages, you'll have to shoot 5 targets in each of 5 strings. You can (and should) change mags between strings, but, in the interest of moving things along, they don't want you reloading mags at the shooting box. So unless you never miss, I would plan on 1 MD mag per string. If you have standard capacity mags of 15+, you could certainly get more than one string out of a mag.

3) PPE: ear protection and wrap around eyeprotection. I like to wear a hat, too.

4) at least 250 rnds (depending on how much you plan to miss). It's always nicer to take ammo home than have to beg for some there.

That's all you really NEED

5)you will want a mag carrier or two. Pockets work, and a lot of people start out that way...but you'll want a mag carrier
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6NDKND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5.5) I really like using a 2 piece competition belt. It's probably more important for 3 gun, but you can't beat the convenience of being able to take your gear on and off without messing with belt loops.

Yes sorry I'll be shooting 9mm Sig Sauer P320 . I have one 17 RD mag and one 21 RD mag.
    Do you need to release the mag after every string ? Or can I just re holster for the next string?
    Assuming I don't miss too bad I could get through the five strings with those two mags if I don't have t o drop the mag after each string.

Thank oyu very much for taking the time to help

Yes sorry I'll be shooting 9mm Sig Sauer P320 . I have one 17 RD mag and one 21 RD mag.
    Do you need to release the mag after every string ? Or can I just re holster for the next string?
    Assuming I don't miss too bad I could get through the five strings with those two mags if I don't have t o drop the mag after each string.

I would get at least 2 more magazines. I say "at least", because I suck and need four 15rd mags to complete the stages of madness.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

You do not need to drop your mag every string. You need 25 shots if you dont miss. Just need to pay attention to how many misses you have. 17 round mag can get your through 3 strings, but I would only count on 2. 21 can get you through 4 strings, but only count on 3. You have enough, but just barely. You dont really want to be swapping mags during the middle of a string if you can help it.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

No, just reholster between strings. One more mag would definitely offer some peace of mind.
    The big "stages of madness" at AGC sometimes require 25+ hits.

Don't let lack of mags be the only thing keeping you from coming out though. I'd bet someone might lend you one if you are friendly. Or, just "run what you brung" and see how it goes.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Yeah if you run a 320 I usually have a few spares in case one of mine craps out. Several people run the p320 so you can find a mag or two if that is a limiting factor.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The other piece of gear you will eventually want is some sort of magazine loader. The Lula's seem to be universally liked, but pricey. The ETS ones seem to be hit or miss (and an off the paper miss for me). Loading 200 or so rounds in a few hours is rough on the thumbs. Even one of the cheapies would probably help.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2136952670

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Do I need a "gun belt " or can I just run my holster like when I open carry ?
    Thank you all for all the help.
    Now I just need to find some Sunday matches

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Do I need a "gun belt " or can I just run my holster like when I open carry ?
    Thank you all for all the help.
    Now I just need to find some Sunday matches

Doesn't need to be a gun belt, you just want one fairly stiff and sized right so your holster stays put.

And practice drawing quickly smoothly and reholstering slowly.;)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yeah if you run a 320 I usually have a few spares in case one of mine craps out. Several people run the p320 so you can find a mag or two if that is a limiting factor.

Just let us know when you are signed up for a match and I'll let you borrow enough mags to get you through a match.

And even though these are competitions they are very newb friendly. People are willing to answer any questions that you have, offer advice on how to shoot a stage, etc...

And like Art3 said, a kydex holster is best but if you have a good quality leather holster bring it. I shot a match at Delta yesterday and the guy who came in third in our division shot a 1911 out of a leather holster, didn't seem to bother him.

Other than your safety gear a double mag holder is really the one essential piece of equipment, especially on the big stages where you WILL reload on the clock at least once. Watching people fumble for a mag in their gym shorts on those stages is painful.

If you're not signed up for this Sunday's match at AGC the next one will be the first Saturday in August. Delta Peachbottom Fish & Game just across the PA line also has a pretty well run match (missed you Katie and Art BTW) on the last Sunday of the month. Next month's match will be 7/26.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Biggest thing is just msg and gun retention. The stages of madness at AGC will have you moving. If the gun hits the ground it’s a DQ, the mags hitting the ground are done for that stage. Whatever belt you have that you can move and everything stays put is most important.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I signed up for the match this Sunday at AGC but I’m on the waitlist. I’m going to come anyway just to watch and get a feel for things. I drove up to Peachbottom Sunday but I got there late and everyone was already shooting so I didn’t want to bother anyone asking questions.

I signed up for the match this Sunday at AGC but I’m on the waitlist. I’m going to come anyway just to watch and get a feel for things. I drove up to Peachbottom Sunday but I got there late and everyone was already shooting so I didn’t want to bother anyone asking questions.

You're going to have a blast. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Don't feel like you are ever bothering people at these events. Most would be happy to help a new shooter get into the sport. The local events that I generally attend are full of the most kind, helpful and like-minded folks you will find anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom