• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does anyone know anything about the "archery range" on Ft. Meade? Who is responsible for it, maintains, etc? I think it needs a little TLC and I could toss a few bucks toward some straw bales if I knew it would get used for that.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Does anyone know anything about the "archery range" on Ft. Meade? Who is responsible for it, maintains, etc? I think it needs a little TLC and I could toss a few bucks toward some straw bales if I knew it would get used for that.
    On Post or on the Patuxent Wildlife North Tract behind the ballfields on Rt.198?

On Post it would be the Morale Support Activity.

https://meade.armymwr.com/

North Tract is probably Meade Natural Heritage Association.

http://www.mnha.net/

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It's on post, South side of Rt 32. If you're familiar with the ranges you pass it. Kinda hidden with a make shift sign. I thought MWR might be involved, but the hand painted sign makes me wonder. Someone erected the shooting platform, cuts back the weeds, and sometimes puts up new straw bales. Maybe part of the Meade Gun Club??

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    It's on post, South side of Rt 32. If you're familiar with the ranges you pass it. Kinda hidden with a make shift sign. I thought MWR might be involved, but the hand painted sign makes me wonder. Someone erected the shooting platform, cuts back the weeds, and sometimes puts up new straw bales. Maybe part of the Meade Gun Club??
    If it's south of Rt.32 it's on Patuxent Wildlife property. The ranges are on thier property, and are leased back through the NSA police.

Most likely put up by Meade Natural Heritage Association.

The two clubs that have access to the ranges do so through NSA Police range control.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Yes, correct. I should have been more specific. I mainly want to know if anyone here uses it, and is it pay to play. It could use a little TLC.
    Access to the range area is extremely limited and access requirements were increased several years ago. This could very well be why it's in disrepair, access got too limited. My first thought would be The Meade Natural Heritage Association as they have qualification requirements to hunt there.

Something tells me the Military and NSA Police have little need for an archery range

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    South side of Rt32 has been "off post" since the 1990-ish BRAC.

The Ranges were deeded over to MD-DNR in that 1990ish timeframe mentioned above.
    There were 4 clubs grandfathered in to use of the range as part of the deal

Meade Rifle and Pistol Club.
    Meade Rod and Gun Club
    Maryland State Rifle and Pistol club
    Meade Natural Heritage Assoc.

only MRPC and MR&GC have dates on the range schedule for 2019.

MSR&P I think gave up when NSA police started vetting members and requiring everyone accessing the ranges to be identified in advance. This happened a couple of years ago. Prior to that the Rifle club had held Open state matches at FT Meade.

Neither DNR or NSAPD have any interest in maintaining public use of the ranges.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The Ranges were deeded over to MD-DNR in that 1990ish timeframe mentioned above.
    There were 4 clubs grandfathered in to use of the range as part of the deal

Meade Rifle and Pistol Club.
    Meade Rod and Gun Club
    Maryland State Rifle and Pistol club
    Meade Natural Heritage Assoc.

only MRPC and MR&GC have dates on the range schedule for 2019.

MSR&P I think gave up when NSA police started vetting members and requiring everyone accessing the ranges to be identified in advance. This happened a couple of years ago. Prior to that the Rifle club had held Open state matches at FT Meade.

Neither DNR or NSAPD have any interest in maintaining public use of the ranges.

Not MD DNR....US Dept. of Interior as the North Tract of Patuxent Wildlife Research Refuge.

The rest is right on.

NSA has a Memorandum of Agreement with Dept. of Interior for exclusive use of the ranges and the ball fields on Rt. 198. Dept. of Interior would cancel both if given the option, and have tried several times.

Last edited:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It's sorta makeshift, inconspicuous, but someone put up a hand painted sign. It is right across the street from the Ft. Meade pet care facility. On Magazine Rd. Before you get to the powerline or i believe some trash or recycle center.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    It's sorta makeshift, inconspicuous, but someone put up a hand painted sign. It is right across the street from the Ft. Meade pet care facility. On Magazine Rd. Before you get to the powerline or i believe some trash or recycle center.

That's interesting, that is actually located on Fort Meade property. There is a strip of land between Odenton and the Wildife Refuge (Ranges) that runs almost to the Railroad tracks that is still Fort Meade property. It was the old dump/landfill for Meade and wasn't turned over in the BRAC action. It was the proposed location for the replacement Golf Course, but the money for that was never approved.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you zoom in just under the word center. North of the power line you can see a trail and couple target stands.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
      IMG_0601.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 315

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads