• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Hello,

My sons Boy Scout Troop's adult leadership have decided to become Marksmanship Merit Badge councilors. One of the leaders also has enough land to build a .22 rimfire range so we will also need RO training. The Troop is in the Reisterstown area.

Boy Scouts of America only recognize NRA training so we need NRA training.

We want these boys to learn about firearm safety and marksmanship as both are a dying are in today's youth.

If you are an NRA trainer in the Reisterstown area please send me your contact information.

Thanks in advance,

JT

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    BSA does require NRA Instructors in the discipline being shot; rifle or shotgun. They also require an NRA trained RSO who needs to separate from the discipline instructor. The easiest way of satisfying this is to check the NRA website below and have a couple of parents become instructors. This is what we did several years ago. I picked up my Rifle Instructor, Shotgun Instructor, and RSO certifications by taking local NRA Instructor Courses. They were great classes and well worth taking, and it's a great way of promoting the future of shooting sports.

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    BSA does require NRA Instructors in the discipline being shot; rifle or shotgun. They also require an NRA trained RSO who needs to separate from the discipline instructor. The easiest way of satisfying this is to check the NRA website below and have a couple of parents become instructors. This is what we did several years ago. I picked up my Rifle Instructor, Shotgun Instructor, and RSO certifications by taking local NRA Instructor Courses. They were great classes and well worth taking, and it's a great way of promoting the future of shooting sports.

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/

Thank you. Your plan is exactly what we are trying to do. We need NRA training to get the same certifications and I was looking for a local instructor that we could host at a private range. We will travel if that is not possible.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    I've supported several Troops over the years at Camp Rodney and Camp Hensen. What Troop#?

At Camp Hensen (HSR), we've had instructor training for scouters. We'll have to look at our schedule and plan instructor courses.

Also, if you are looking for SS weekend, check the camp master schedule for HSR. Look for the Jensen crew weekend. When they run program it's in the morning and resumes after lunch. Some camps run program after lunch only.

If you want to get in touch with me, look at my profile. Phone number listed there.

Todd

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    NRA Rifle instructor class offered
    (minutes from Seaford)

Cost:
    $275 w/ BIT
    $200 w/o BIT (MUST have taken BIT within the last 2 years)
    BSA leader discount: $75

Includes training material, lodging, and meals

Date: BIT starts Friday, May, 10. Rifle starts Saturday May 11-12.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Check with your local council and ask for the contact for the shooting sports coordinator. You may have to go the BAC level.
    Also- some camps will help provide instructors, RSO's and equipment, Broadcreek, Rodney and Henson come to mind.
    As radnor pointed out, there are also BSA only/significant discount training conducted through out the year. Check the NRA website or BAC for more info. I took the rifle instructor at BCGF years ago. It was a BSA only training.
    You may also want to look into any liability with shooting on a non BSA owned or dedicated commercial ranges. I can't remember, but there may be rules about it. When you are on a scout owned range or facility, you as the certified RSO and instructor are covered under the insurance.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    Per BSA standards if you take your Troop shooting you must have a RSO and a certified instructor in the discipline you are shooting.

I supported Troops at all 3 camps listed. Been supporting T361 for YEARS now. Started at Broadcreek. Some at Rodney. Now mainly at Hensen.
    Our class will be listed on the NRA site soon.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    NRA Rifle instructor class offered
    (minutes from Seaford)

Cost:
    $275 w/ BIT
    $200 w/o BIT (MUST have taken BIT within the last 2 years)
    BSA leader discount: $75

Includes training material, lodging, and meals

Date: BIT starts Friday, May, 10. Rifle starts Saturday May 11-12.

It may be higher due to recent changes in Instructor pre-qualifications. I was planning on taking the Pistol Instructor course, but was informed that I had to take the actual Pistol Course prior to taking the instructor course. You used to be able to "test out" of taking the course by taking a written and practical test. Guess the NRA needed the money, and/or new instructors went off script.

It may have changed, but check for the most recent requirements for Instructor level courses.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom