• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hagpound

Oct 5, 2014
    Hey guys I came across this while searching for bow hunting laws within Washington County, specifically hunting inside the city limits of Hagerstown, MD. Talking with DNR they didn't have any issue as long as regular hunting regulations are followed. They told me to check with the city to be safe. So after talking to HPD, a CPT sent me this code/link. https://www.ecode360.com/9907406

"It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, discharge or shoot a gun, firearm, air gun, blowgun, spring gun, gas-operated gun, blowpipe, slingshot, bean shooter or any other contrivance manufactured and calculated to throw, sling or discharge any shot or other missile within the City limits, and it shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer or a duly licensed person, to possess any such weapon upon the streets, alleys or other public ways of the City except while transporting such weapon from the place of purchase to his home or from his home to a point outside the City boundaries and returning."

I'm shocked by this as there are several areas inside the city limits that lie on the out skirts of town that have plenty of deer. I've been given permission to bow hunt one of these areas and would easily be 100 yards from any building/dwelling. However now that I know about this code I'm not sure it's worth the risk to hunt it.

I've reached out to a representative on the city counsel and he advised that they would have to have a majority vote to change the law. Which is unlikely just so one person can bow hunt. It's just amazing that you can actually own a good chunk of land within the city and then can't even shoot a bow on it. Heck you can't even shoot a sling shot. It's not like it's in the middle of the city on some public street.

Thoughts?

hagpound

Oct 5, 2014
    Thanks guys... I can only try. I just find it odd they have such a law but I guess I've never really looked into it before.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The ordinance was to keep the heathen children (that we were) in check with their BB guns in check.

If a hunting license exemption can be added to the ordinance, then the city gets to have the best of both worlds. Heathen children in check, and less deer assaults on automobiles.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    "It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, discharge or shoot a gun, firearm, air gun, blowgun, spring gun, gas-operated gun, blowpipe, slingshot, bean shooter or any other contrivance manufactured and calculated to throw, sling or discharge any shot or other missile within the City limits, and it shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer or a duly licensed person, to possess any such weapon upon the streets, alleys or other public ways of the City except while transporting such weapon from the place of purchase to his home or from his home to a point outside the City boundaries and returning."

IMO, I think the "other missile" might apply to an arrow, but it does seem weird they did not reference arrow since its probably more common than a bean shooter. ;)

hagpound

Oct 5, 2014
    IMO, I think the "other missile" might apply to an arrow, but it does seem weird they did not reference arrow since its probably more common than a bean shooter. ;)

my thought exactly. I have a contact that's contacted the Mayor. Even the Mayor thought bow hunting may fall under a different code. Guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom