• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Even if Trump bans them, I'm still hoping the court will rule on the whole issue of creating an impossible process to comply with a law.

thep1zzaman

May 3, 2018
    So, does the bump stock ban give binary trigger owners ground to now stand on? The ATF said they didn't have legal the authority to grant approval to MD bumpstock or binary trigger owners. Now that they are regulating bumpstocks, but not binary triggers is there new langauge we should try on our letters for binary triggers?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, does the bump stock ban give binary trigger owners ground to now stand on? The ATF said they didn't have legal the authority to grant approval to MD bumpstock or binary trigger owners. Now that they are regulating bumpstocks, but not binary triggers is there new langauge we should try on our letters for binary triggers?

The ATF has no more authority to "approve" an "application" for a binary trigger than it does for a bumpstock. They are simply not in the business of doing that. And the States are free to ban stuff not banned by the new ATF rule.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    He’s the most pro-2A President ever
    Everybody knows it.
    Other Presidents?
    Total 2A disasters. Believe me.
    Sorry, but he's -1 right now. And we still don't know how Gorsuch and Kavanaugh would rule, so he might be -3 or +1.

And we haven't heard anything about the Hearing Protection Act. There was "supposed" to be a vote before year-end (yeah, right). Why isn't Trump pushing that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Yes.

Yes, they are.

Yes. It came directly from Trump's mouth. Among his other anti-gun comments and actions (take the guns first, due process later, etc) was that he directed ATF to come up with a way to regulatorily ban bump stocks after the Vegas shooting.

No grain of salt needed - that article is factually correct. Things went down pretty much exactly like it says there. They couldn't pass a law to do it, the Vegas shooting happened, and Trump immediately ordered ATF to find a way to ban them, and told the NRA that "bump stocks are gone."

He is certainly not. He made the pro-2A noises during his campaign to grab votes, but he has no track record of ever being pro-2A before that, and has no track record of being pro-2A since he was elected. Remember, this is the guy who said "take the guns first, and due process later.... I like taking the guns early."

Yup. The guy is not our friend.

Heck, one of Trump's campaign promises was that he would undo Obama's ATF Rule 41f/p as soon as he took office. Here we are nearly 2 years after the date he took office and Rule 41f/p is still the law. I posted about this in the "Thoughts on Trump" page, but I understand if it was missed because I rarely ever go to that monstrosity anymore.

I missed this one. Talk about bad laws...

https://www.nfafa.org/atf41p.cfm

What is ATF Rule 41f?
    ATF Rule 41f is the final regulatory rule signed by the Obama administration on January 4, 2016 regarding the transfer and manufacture of weapons regulated by the National Firearms Act. The initial proposed rule (Rule 41p) proposed adding a new definition of a "responsible person" (RP) to the regulations and would have required all RPs in any entity used to purchase or manufacture NFA weapons to obtain the signature of their Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO signature) on the application, as well as submit fingerprints and photographs for review by ATF examiners.

Entities, such as trusts, LLCs and corporations, have become popular for acquiring NFA weapons because individuals experienced great difficulty in obtaining the CLEO signature in many areas of the country, if it was not outright impossible, and the use of an entity to acquire such weapons did not previously require the applicant to obtain the CLEO signature.

and ….
    In addition, use of a gun trust eliminates the need for a judicial probate process to transfer the weapons upon your death. When you consider that an attorney's retainer to do the most basic of probates may be $2,500 or more, this is a no-brainer.

Finally, a properly constructed gun trust is a comprehensive management system to instruct successors on how these weapons need to be handled, so that they know what restrictions are involved and don't get into trouble with these weapons.

I don't have a NFA item. and this simply sounds nefarious and abusive.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Sorry, but he's -1 right now. And we still don't know how Gorsuch and Kavanaugh would rule, so he might be -3 or +1.

And we haven't heard anything about the Hearing Protection Act. There was "supposed" to be a vote before year-end (yeah, right). Why isn't Trump pushing that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think Trump supports 2A about as far as Hogan does - which is to say: probably more than his Dem opponent, but still not very much.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I read this has been appealed in 4th Circuit.

Attachments

• Appellants Brief_FINAL.pdf
      989.7 KB · Views: 169

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just finished reading it. It should be a slam dunk to get this rolling again. IANAL The Horne part of the argument seems undeniable.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Just finished reading it. It should be a slam dunk to get this rolling again. IANAL The Horne part of the argument seems undeniable.

How did this law deny people the right to dispose of (sell where legal) or move the personal property out of state before it went in effect? There was an opportunity to mitigate loss, but some cases cited not so much so that oppurtunity, and you can be sure to read that is in the response. These cites are in other 2A cases, argued in other states. Maybe wait for the response before seeing a "slam dunk".

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Just finished reading that myself. Impressive. I can't even imagine what it costs to create this filing. Considering the research and compilation of this case law, it certainly is in the over 100K category. Looks like another donation to MSI will be made today.

Reading documents like this demonstrates that in order to maintain your rights as a citizen, you must support advocacy groups such as the NRA, GOA, MSI, etc. There is no way someone could d this solo.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    How did this law deny people the right to dispose of (sell where legal) or move the personal property out of state before it went in effect? There was an opportunity to mitigate loss, but some cases cited not so much so that oppurtunity, and you can be sure to read that is in the response. These cites are in other 2A cases, argued in other states. Maybe wait for the response before seeing a "slam dunk".

They state required me to mitigate my loss for thier law. That's a takings.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I'm a little more guarded in my opinion. Since the 4th has made some crazy ruling in the past, I'll give it a 50/50 chance. I'm also not sure how the court is going to take to the appeal of multiple matters. I am concerned that the appeal is too broad. IANOL, but it would seem that the appeal needs to be more directed towards one aspect of the law.

My question to the lawyer types would be, if the 4th finds merit in one of the concerns, but not everything included in the appeal, what does the court do in this type of instance? Do they have the ability to rule in favor of the government on some items and the plaintiff on the other items. Does the fact that they favor the plaintiff on one item warrant the entire appeal be in favor of the plaintiff?

Help out an old redneck trying to understand these flatlander's laws.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

The slam dunk I mentioned was in getting the case back into court. It was dismissed due to lack of standing, and no prior notification and provision was made for the plaintiffs to address that. That's a problem. There are other problems with how it was handled, but the main thing is that the court said the equivalent of "Goodbye, we're done here."

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    While I believe it is a slam dunk to get the case back into court and have oral arguments (as requested in the appeal), I too am guarded as to the outcome should the case be heard. I believe there are some really important legal concepts at play here that I expect the judiciary would like to define even better. The Horne and Loretto cases seem to be clearly applicable to SB707, but they've been misapplied by the district court. That's a place where I feel we have some hope.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    A well written appeal. How is the legal fund looking? Tax refund season is here and I might be able to kick in another donation.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    A well written appeal. How is the legal fund looking? Tax refund season is here and I might be able to kick in another donation.

The litigation fund desperately needs replenishment! Come on guys, this stuff is NOT cheap. If any of these bills currently before GA pass, we are going to need a lot more funds to litigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom