• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I've been looking for a shotgun primarily for home defense and have narrowed it to a few possibilities.

Mossberg 500 security/field combo (18.5 and 28" barrels) in wood: $330 +tax at Dicks Sporting Goods special order.

Maverick 88 - 28" vent rib barrel $177 +tax at Walmart to which I could buy a 90015 barrel for @ $80, making that combo $177+$80= $257 + tax. (I really dislike walmart though)

IAC Hawk 982 - I haven't seen one of these in person, but I like the look of it and have read some positive things from people that have them. I think they are @ $240 +tax.

Is there anything I might be overlooking? I am keeping an eye out for used also. The Maverick seems like the best deal, but am a little concerned with walmart being involved. I half suspect they forced the manufacturer to skimp on something to get the price that low...

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Out of the three, I would choose the Mossberg 500 first. I have 2 of them, one in 12ga and another in 20ga and they have proven to be reliable and durable.

The Maverick is a barebones Mossberg 500, with some cosmetic differences, and a different location for the safety.

The IAC Hawk, if I recall, is a clone of the Remington 870. For less than the price of a new Hawk, you can get a fantastic used Remington 870.

Shop used. Most of the time, you can find a decent gun in decent shape for next to nothing. I paid $150 for my Remington 870 and $100 for my Ithaca 37.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Out of the three, I would choose the Mossberg 500 first. I have 2 of them, one in 12ga and another in 20ga and they have proven to be reliable and durable.
    Thanks, I did kind of feel like the Mossberg was the highest quality choice.
    The IAC Hawk, if I recall, is a clone of the Remington 870. For less than the price of a new Hawk, you can get a fantastic used Remington 870.

Shop used. Most of the time, you can find a decent gun in decent shape for next to nothing. I paid $150 for my Remington 870 and $100 for my Ithaca 37.
    I would love to buy used at prices like that, but I haven't had much luck. Where is the best place to look? I am checking the classifieds here. Ive been to a few gun stores, but didn't see many used shotguns.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Thanks, I did kind of feel like the Mossberg was the highest quality choice.

I would love to buy used at prices like that, but I haven't had much luck. Where is the best place to look? I am checking the classifieds here. Ive been to a few gun stores, but didn't see many used shotguns.

Depending on where you shop, you will either find the motherlode or zilch. I moved here to NC, where shotguns grow on trees :D

The Gun Shop in Essex always had a nice selection if used guns and there is always Northwestern Pawn in Baltimore.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    If you like the safety better on the Mossberg then I would not try to change your mind as far as buying it.

Truthfully what most folks who have a pump gun for HD do is keep the hammer down on an empty chamber with a tube full of ammo. In other words if you need the gun in a fight you would never touch the safety, and would only have to rack the gun to bring it into action.

If this method of storing your HD gun doesn't work for you, and the Mossberg is more up your ally, then good on ya.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    There is the Stoeger line of econobenelli's. Other than that the 870 has the capability for mag extensions for resident goose or HD. The 500 is good with the 18" barrel an 5rnds. I am a big fan of folding stocks for HD and adjustable stocks for seasonal wardrobe adjustments and young shooters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maverick is Mossberg parts assembled in Mexico. IAC is China knock off of 870 .

Buy used. Anytime your daily life brings you past a gunstore , or pawnshop , quickly stop in for a look. Under $200 common, under $150 hit or miss.

In addition to above choices , Win 1200/1300s are also excellent shotguns, selling for good prices used.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Who uses safeties anymore?

...In other words if you need the gun in a fight you would never touch the safety, and would only have to rack the gun to bring it into action.
    OK, I see what you mean, and I guess once you have your shotgun and drill with it a bit and become familiar, the safety probably becomes more natural to disengage or not used. I'll revisit the 870's

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Once you buy one shotgun you'll end up buying more....its a disease called SCATTERPOX

If you have a Dicks Sporting Good near buy...they sell Pardoners and sometimes I see Mavericks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Once you buy one shotgun you'll end up buying more....its a disease called SCATTERPOX

If you have a Dicks Sporting Good near buy...they sell Pardoners and sometimes I see Mavericks.

They have a Pardner Pump which is an 870 Copy with the extended mag tube for $240 last time I checked. Nice shotgun, especially for the price.

Jim

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    You can't beat the Mossberg's price/performance ratio. If you're focused primarily on Home Defense, you may want to entertain a Beretta 1200 FP or 1201 FP riot gun for around $400. Many are police trade-ins, which mean they have a rough exterior but were rarely fired. It's a semi auto Benelli with the Beretta name slapped on it. This is a very reliable inertia based action that is very easy to clean. Here's an example of one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221008189

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I got a great deal on my sons shotgun from Northwest Pawn - and it is particularly fun to take it outside and walk down Pennsylvania Ave with a shotgun wrapped up in newspaper- by the way,it still looks like a shotgun . They have a lot of long guns, look at their internet list before you go. Park nearby, its not a great 'hood.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Some pretty decent deals at that pawn shop on shotguns; saw some 1100s in the list for rather a lot less than retail. Since I'm also looking for a first cheaper shotgun for shooting sports and visit my parents in NW Baltimore a fair bit, I'll hijack the thread a bit and ask:
    1. Are there any special tricks to determining a shotgun's condition, or will my experience with rifles and handguns (both modern and C&R) keep me in reasonably good stead?
    2. How do I determine if a choke is removable or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom