• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Friend of mine owns the BAR portion of Frank's Den in Glen Burnie.
    Crain Hwy@Hospital drive.

Front bar, back bar and 3 tables like pictured. Sand and refinish.

PM me and I can get you in touch.

Attachments

• bar1.jpg
      bar1.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 466
    • bar2.jpg
      bar2.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 481
    • table.jpg
      table.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 463

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just an observation, the drop down back bar is veneer. Tread lightly.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Looks like about 150sf of surface. I’m not sure what someone would charge for refinishing, but depending on the scope of work and the color we could probably do granite or quartz for $7-9k.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like about 150sf of surface. I’m not sure what someone would charge for refinishing, but depending on the scope of work and the color we could probably do granite or quartz for $7-9k.

Frank's Den is one of the oldest dive bars in GB. Waaaay too fancy :)

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Someone who refinishes front doors or furniture could do that job easy.
    I could. It would be the type of job I would never take - alot of dust, so you have to move and cover everything, alot of smell,
    you have to work at night, most likely, no thanks.
    I like the product which is like 1/8" or more thick epoxy which they pour onto the bar.
    I can see the guy has (had) polyurethane on bar top and frankly, poly doesn't like water,
    being wiped down every night. Even 3 coats of Helmsman Spar Varnish won't last long .

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I see the main bar looks like a chopping block type af wood. It is clearly worn poly urethane type finish. Most of them bars they sand and pour the two part epoxy finish onto them. The table needs simply sanded and poly finished a few coats. Someone mentioned smell but most have very little smell these days. Most are water based and water clean up like paint now. I see them use the stuff on bowling alleys and wood gyms and courts in schools. They roll on a few coats. Has two options of finish with poly or two part epoxy stuff.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I see the main bar looks like a chopping block type af wood. It is clearly worn poly urethane type finish. Most of them bars they sand and pour the two part epoxy finish onto them. The table needs simply sanded and poly finished a few coats. Someone mentioned smell but most have very little smell these days. Most are water based and water clean up like paint now. I see them use the stuff on bowling alleys and wood gyms and courts in schools. They roll on a few coats. Has two options of finish with poly or two part epoxy stuff.

****The two part epoxy product, assuming a good brand and mixed properly, will last a heck of a lot longer then Poly on a bar top IME. As Marko mentioned, poly doesn't do that great with exposure to water and liquids like you would get on a bar top that is hopefully constantly wiped down.

It's not a big job, and modern product has little smell. I just had custom built ins made for a home and the fellow who did it used the epoxy on the butcher block top I had installed on the bottom shelf. It looks great and should last a long time.

The job above can be done in two sections if needed , so as to not require closing the entire bar area.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Why even bother? People are going to choose to go there or not regardless what the bar and tables look like.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Flynn Architecture does excellent refinishing work, they are our metal, stone, and wood maintenance company at work. I’m impressed by their before and afters. Give them a call

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why even bother? People are going to choose to go there or not regardless what the bar and tables look like.
    As oak takes on water for an extended period of time, it begins to smell like puke. No one wants to drink at a bar that smells like someone just Ralphed all over it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As oak takes on water for an extended period of time, it begins to smell like puke. No one wants to drink at a bar that smells like someone just Ralphed all over it.
    For the dive that it is, it's amazing how busy it stays.

I've never been a bar guy - it's just not my scene and I prefer to drink at home, which is why Frank's Den is my liquor store, but not really my bar. With that said, I've gone in a couple of times for beers with a friend when he needed to get out of the house.

Since it's a big wide bar, they should do like a Western Saloon and do the movie-style swinging doors for the summer months. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom