• tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My son's first year of HS.
    He's been waiting three years to play football :(

Dude, that sucks.

My son was so excited to be in first grade this year. Combine that with the fact that both my wife and I work at independent schools that will *drum roll* be open because of massive enrollment increases and our lives just turned upside down.

The funniest thing in all of this is that we've gotten like 3 different text messages from friends after the announcement looking to band together and pay someone to "teach" the kids (keep tabs on them while they're doing online school work and fill in the gaps). Suddenly, all the libs I know are looking to Libertarian solutions to fix the problem.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I’m to the point where I feel like we need to fight for our kids.

I wrote in to the school board when they were taking comments, talking about how this type of decision would force people to send their kids to unlicensed daycare or other facilities that won't be nearly as safe and clean as MCPS facilities (try to stifle a laugh there folks) which would actually make the virus spread WORSE in our county and will definitely put more kids in danger than a hybrid schedule would.

I damn near guarantee you that the Teachers' Union told MCPS out of earshot of the public that they'd strike if they didn't delay opening. I'd likely put my entire retirement fund on that bet at this moment.

Our son did before-care for school-aged kids at Goddard, luckily that keeps us in the queue with them. Hoping they're looking at this as an opportunity to expand their programs so we can at least enroll him a couple days a week.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    **** THIS COUNTY:
    https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/...d-to-remain-closed-for-in-person-instruction/

My kids' school was taking EXTENSIVE precautions to prevent C19 transmission in-person, including full mask usage ALL DAY, 6ft social distancing, pods, and literally anything else you could think of. What data is she citing to show that schools cannot be safely operated under those circumstances? Just more evidence that this county is completely under the control of the MoCo teachers' union and they don't want non-union schools competing successfully against them.

We need to get out of this place. Texas, maybe.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    **** THIS COUNTY:
    https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/...d-to-remain-closed-for-in-person-instruction/

My kids' school was taking EXTENSIVE precautions to prevent C19 transmission in-person, including full mask usage ALL DAY, 6ft social distancing, pods, and literally anything else you could think of. What data is she citing to show that schools cannot be safely operated under those circumstances? Just more evidence that this county is completely under the control of the MoCo teachers' union and they don't want non-union schools competing successfully against them.

We need to get out of this place. Texas, maybe.

More than anything I think they're afraid to have private schools show that you can go back safely. If that happens, the ride will truth against the county counsel, health department, and school board. This is purely political.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Got into it with some of my MCPS “friends” on bookface. Pointed out that myself and my coworkers have been working and in public the whole time and they should suck it up or find a new profession. Needless to say, I have fewer updates in said social media site. Also couldn’t post for a few days due the complaints of the Karens. These are the same teachers who are happy about snow days and then complain when they have to have make-up days are the end of the school year.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Got into it with some of my MCPS “friends” on bookface. Pointed out that myself and my coworkers have been working and in public the whole time and they should suck it up or find a new profession. Needless to say, I have fewer updates in said social media site. Also couldn’t post for a few days due the complaints of the Karens. These are the same teachers who are happy about snow days and then complain when they have to have make-up days are the end of the school year.

Ask them why they are posting pictures of themselves eating out at restaurants if they are that convinced of the danger.

My feed is full of colleagues who are out living their best life and going to breweries, restaurants, wineries, the beach.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Sir, you spelled WHINERY wrong

Teachers are amongst the biggest bunch of narcissistic and whiny people on the planet. Likewise whine about being disrespected by the general populace and their dismay at the online commenting about back to school, yet have no problem sharing their pictures of their dining outings and girls' weekends at the AirBnB.

Then they wonder why people think what they do about the profession.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    If this isn’t the time to get behind school vouchers, I don’t know when it will be. When you look at how
    much money is spent per student it’s jaw dropping. Baltimore as recently as 2018 was spending over 15k per student. Most private school tuition runs around half of that amount. If anything should be defunded it’s the corrupt public education system. Public sector unions are a scourge.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If this isn’t the time to get behind school vouchers, I don’t know when it will be. When you look at how
    much money is spent per student it’s jaw dropping. Baltimore as recently as 2018 was spending over 15k per student. Most private school tuition runs around half of that amount. If anything should be defunded it’s the corrupt public education system. Public sector unions are a scourge.

Private school tuition STARTS at 15K. I have three kids in private school. 39K, 35K and 20K. (I don't pay all of it, but I pay about twice my mortgage)
    There are a lot of scholarships out there. Getting them is another part time job

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

oh boy, this is going to be fun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Private school tuition STARTS at 15K. I have three kids in private school. 39K, 35K and 20K. (I don't pay all of it, but I pay about twice my mortgage)
    There are a lot of scholarships out there. Getting them is another part time job
    Correct. Private school is NOT cheap.

As for vouchers, it'll never happen in MD. The legislature is way too beholden to the teachers' union and the system as a whole to let that happen.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    Correct. Private school is NOT cheap.

As for vouchers, it'll never happen in MD. The legislature is way too beholden to the teachers' union and the system as a whole to let that happen.

Agreed on the not cheap part. Especially when it’s coming out of my own pocket. My child’s school is in the 8k range per year.

Under no illusions vouchers are possible in the current political climate. I guess I’m just yelling into the wind. AA Co. private schools are slated to open for in person classes at the end of the month.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Agreed on the not cheap part. Especially when it’s coming out of my own pocket. My child’s school is in the 8k range per year.
    8k is nothing at all compared to most schools. Are you sending your kid to a Catholic school? I've heard those are cheaper, but that's because it's heavily underwritten by the Church (I don't know a thing about the Catholic church structure, sorry!). Some of the Islamic schools are also cheaper because the Saudis heavily underwrite them, or so a Muslim friend told me.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    8k is nothing at all compared to most schools. Are you sending your kid to a Catholic school? I've heard those are cheaper, but that's because it's heavily underwritten by the Church (I don't know a thing about the Catholic church structure, sorry!). Some of the Islamic schools are also cheaper because the Saudis heavily underwrite them, or so a Muslim friend told me.

Yes, it is a Catholic school. I’m unsure how much the Archdiocese contributes or supports the schools in the region financially. I’m sure there is some sort of subsidy. One thing that I do appreciate is that all families are required to perform volunteer hours to the school each year which also helps keep the cost down and within reach for a lot of families. Overall I’m pleased with the quality for the price.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, it is a Catholic school. I’m unsure how much the Archdiocese contributes or supports the schools in the region financially. I’m sure there is some sort of subsidy. One thing that I do appreciate is that all families are required to perform volunteer hours to the school each year which also helps keep the cost down and within reach for a lot of families. Overall I’m pleased with the quality for the price.
    Hey, no problems with that. Just pointing out that it's on the very low end of the scale because of their external (sorta) funding.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Under no illusions vouchers are possible in the current political climate. I guess I’m just yelling into the wind. AA Co. private schools are slated to open for in person classes at the end of the month.

Guessing it's Slade. Cheapest Catholic school in the state.

You might want to get little bit more lay of the land not only about Maryland, but also AACO compared to Texas. Your bumper sticker slogans are not doing you any favors.

We've covered the topic of vouchers here more than a dozen times over the years and anyone who thinks that they are in any way going to be entitled to the full cost of a private school tuition needs to first look at their property tax bill and wrap their brain around how they even think that's possible.

The tax system is substantially different here as is the structure of the school systems,

Further,. we've also covered the "per pupil funding = $x" and how disproportionate that is skewed due to the needs of the substantial special ed population within the county. Your kid is getting probably about 25-30% of the stated per pupil funding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom