View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:03 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
The counter guy was misinformed or just lying. The law does not forbid loaded mags, and there is an AG letter stating his interpretation is that loaded mags are legal to transport in a vehicle. The letter is dated 15 Jan 2010... I have a copy I saved from someone posting it here but can't repost at the moment.

That being said, a range is a privately owned business, so if they want to make a rule that you can't enter with loaded mags, they can do that.
The guy might have been addressing if I had it in my car like that since it was all together in the one bag, but not accessible, like in the trunk. I can't recall exactly the whole conversation but he was using a lot of 'conviction' to make his point. This was in '93 probably. It was definitely a power trip thing at play to some degree, partly to just make an impression on a young shooter, and I just kept quiet and 'dove under the wave' so I could go on and shoot. Inside I was obviously annoyed I was put on the spot. From that day forward I vowed to never be on the spot again.

Some people want to create big stir while others can simply just explain what they want you know without a lot of drama.

So later the discussion I had was with someone who was actually 'better informed'.

This below is less comprehensive than I recalled other times reading it
From MSP website FAQ:
"How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​."