• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Have always kept an eye out for a Remington 8 or 81 but never been lucky enough to find one that appealed to me. Then while cruising the last HOCO show with Milsurp Dan I ran across this beautiful Remington 81 in .300 Savage. Skip from S&J Arms in Sykesville was selling it on consignment and the owner was kind enough to offer it to me at a price I couldn't say no to. Plus MDS vintage sporting expert Augie was nice enough to give me his assessment and that was all I needed to close the deal.
    -Date code on the side of the barrel near the receiver has it built in 1948. There's a period Pachmayr Gun Works recoil pad that looks like it's been there for most of it's life. A previous owner had also added period narrow sling swivels though it looks like it spent little time in the field.
    -The best part is that it's a Special Grade, or B Grade, version with higher quality American Walnut and checkering. As these were built to order the receivers were hand marked with the grade letter, normally just behind the model number on the receiver (there were also C (Special) ,D (Peerless) and E (Expert) grades). I was surprised to read that going to B grade only cost around 12% more than standard A grade. A heck of a bargain in my eyes.
    -Check out the safety, do you think Kalashnikov owes John Browning a royalty on it for the AK47? Yet another amazing John Moses Browning design.
    -This is getting dangerous for me, starting to take a shine to vintage sporting arms. Been watching Winchester 54 listings for one in .22 Hornet and ditto for Winchester 1903 and 63s.
    -There's an amazing website on the Remington models 8 & 81, chock full of wonderful information if you're curious: The Great Model 8 & 81.

Attachments

• IMGP8358.JPG
      IMGP8358.JPG
      19.1 KB · Views: 731
    • IMGP8357.JPG
      IMGP8357.JPG
      41.7 KB · Views: 719
    • IMGP8356.JPG
      IMGP8356.JPG
      38.7 KB · Views: 729
    • IMGP8361.JPG
      IMGP8361.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 743
    • IMGP8361-001.JPG
      IMGP8361-001.JPG
      43.6 KB · Views: 722
    • IMGP8359.JPG
      IMGP8359.JPG
      48 KB · Views: 747
    • IMGP8362-001.JPG
      IMGP8362-001.JPG
      44.7 KB · Views: 727
    • IMGP8363.JPG
      IMGP8363.JPG
      35.7 KB · Views: 716
    • IMGP8355.JPG
      IMGP8355.JPG
      46.1 KB · Views: 726
    • IMGP8354.JPG
      IMGP8354.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 739

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow that is a scarce and awesome gun. Back when they used to use real wood! I love how they put special grade walnut on it then do what looks like an electropencil with the "B"

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thats a beauty Mawkie and in a great caliber, easy to find ammo, enjoy. A Winchester 54 or Model 70 in 22 Hornet would be a great find.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Great looking rifle! Wasn’t one of those used against Bonnie and Clyde?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Texas Ranger Frank Hamer was famous for carrying a Remington 8 in his service. There was a Model 8 at the Bonnie and Clyde shootout and I suspect he was wielding it. A very private man, Hamer refused to discuss the shoot out afterwards so who knows for sure. But Remington knew a good thing when they saw it and gifted a newer engraved Model 81 to Frank with an extended police magazine. Something that he treasured.
    Frank's Model 81 in the Texas Ranger Museum below.

Attachments

• P20356341.jpg
      P20356341.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 634

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wow that is a scarce and awesome gun. Back when they used to use real wood! I love how they put special grade walnut on it then do what looks like an electropencil with the "B"

Yeah, you'll find these stamped crooked and there's one listed online with the letter not behind the model number but the SN. Doubt Remington management saw it as too important but it is a bit odd for sure.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Texas Ranger Frank Hamer was famous for carrying a Remington 8 in his service. There was a Model 8 at the Bonnie and Clyde shootout and I suspect he was wielding it. A very private man, Hamer refused to discuss the shoot out afterwards so who knows for sure. But Remington knew a good thing when they saw it and gifted a newer engraved Model 81 to Frank with an extended police magazine. Something that he treasured.
    Frank's Model 81 in the Texas Ranger Museum below.

Thank you sir. I knew if anyone would know it, it would be you.

Jul 1, 2012
    Beautiful rifle!

Looking at the bolt, seems like Col. Melvin Johnson borrowed an idea as well.

Attachments

• IMGP8354.JPG
      IMGP8354.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 474
    • Johnson bolt.jpg
      Johnson bolt.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 458
    Jul 1, 2012
    That do look familiar don't it? The Johnson has a recoiling barrel action, right? If that's the case then maybe Melvin took a second feature from JMB.

yes, indeed it does!
    The bolt is locked into the barrel and travels about 1/2" rearward and then unlocks with a rotating lug.

IMHO that makes it a "softer" recoil than a Garand.
    We shot my 1941 side-by-side w/ a Garand and honestly, I liked the Johnson better.

I didn't realize JMB did the Remington but it doesn't surprise me, he really got around :)
    His genius and influence was/is truly amazing.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I put it for sale here a couple of months ago and nobody even contacted me about it. Sat for three weeks. Thanks Skip and thank you mawkie for buying it and showing it off! Enjoy!

Rats! Must have been out of my price range or something. I don't remember seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom