• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Don't know whether to stick this in C&R or Shotguns, but I figured it would go here.

This is a gun inherited from my uncle, sort of. My grandmother (dad's mom) hates guns, and sold all of my grandfather's guns after he died when my dad was only 16... including service guns from WWII... And then about 15 years ago my uncle died, and he had an old Stevens Model 39A that my grandmom also sold - but my dad went and bought it back so we have it.

Dad had this thing stowed away at a friend's house for years and years and he just finally got it back (along with his 1994 Winchester 94 Centennial!!!) but it's not in the best shape. Spots of rust all over it, haven't figured out how to break it down but I'm sure the outcome won't be great.

Apparently after some googling I found out this thing was only made between 1939-1945, so it's a pre-GCA gun - meaning someone probably just ordered it out of a catalog or bought it like a pair of pliers at some point. I'm probably going to look at cleaning it up and keeping it for sentimental value.

It's a neat gun, since it's bolt-action but feeds via a tube much like a tube-fed pump action gun from what I can tell. However I have no idea on how to load it and can't find a manual...

I may be going to gunsmith school soon, so maybe I can make that a project! Does anyone have any experience with these shotguns?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I figured out how to remove the bolt, via a set screw on the action and the action is secured to the stock via a thumb screw. After that it gets tricky.

The bore looks filthy (like, cobwebs and random crap) and I'll need a .410 brush to clean it out... Haven't really inspected it for pitting. However, as it's a smoothbore shotgun I don't see why pitting would really be a problem. Although I would definitely have this thing checked by a gunsmith before firing it.

You guys that have these things, how well do they shoot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom