• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    Decided to build my first AR while it is still "legal" in Maryland :)

Ended up sourcing majority of my parts from PSA, figured at least the PSA upper and lower should be a reasonable match.

PSA billet 80% lower. I don't think it'll be too much of an issue machining out since I'm pretty handy in fabbing many things out of metal....No MSP wait here :innocent0

PSA lower parts kit (flat dark earth). Includes Mil-Spec Magpul ACS-L Stock, MOE grip, MOE Trigger Guard, Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter 6061 buffer tube assembly. I figure I can upgrade trigger parts later if I want

PSA Hammer Forged Mid Upper - 14.7'' CHF CL Stripped Upper (with blem) - mid length gas system, F sight post

Mil-spec carry handle

Surefire flash hider/compensator (will pin on the barrel and cover the pin with my TIG welder)

JoeBobOutfitters NiB BCG and charging handle

Magpul MOE FDE handguard

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    Humble beginnings ;)

May start the machine work tomorrow or Sunday...

Attachments

• bare lower.jpg
      bare lower.jpg
      98.3 KB · Views: 546

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    finished "machining" the 80% lower today.

Used only a drill press. FCG pocket has some wave in the walls, but the FCG assembled fine and functions appropriately.

Going to do the "homebrew" type II anodizing on it. I don't want to serialize it that is required by FFLs who do type III.

335xi

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm also building my first with mostly PSA parts. I may have questions for you soon :)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Thats a good build list. I like that your going from an 80% lower. I would was thinking about doing atleast 1 in the future but gotta find someone who can machine it.

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    Oh...for those that machine their own 80%. Be cognizant of the depth measurement. I was surprised how little I had to machine to get the trigger slot cut after cutting the pocket to 1.250

after a bit of research, I'm going with some KNS anti-rotation pins. This should help minimize any wear to the lower since it won't be hard anodized (type III)

JoeBob NiB BCG arrived yesterday....what a work of art!

The Surefire muzzle brake shipped yesterday. Want to make sure I permanently pin the brake on the barrel (TIG weld over the pin) the day the upper arrives. Don't want to get into NFA issues :innocent0

Guess I need to start finding some Ammo for it :lol2:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Oh...for those that machine their own 80%. Be cognizant of the depth measurement. I was surprised how little I had to machine to get the trigger slot cut after cutting the pocket to 1.250

after a bit of research, I'm going with some KNS anti-rotation pins. This should help minimize any wear to the lower since it won't be hard anodized (type III)

JoeBob NiB BCG arrived yesterday....what a work of art!

The Surefire muzzle brake shipped yesterday. Want to make sure I permanently pin the brake on the barrel (TIG weld over the pin) the day the upper arrives. Don't want to get into NFA issues :innocent0

Guess I need to start finding some Ammo for it :lol2:

No on the KNS on raw aluminum. KNS uses stainless steel which reacts with aluminum and causes corrosion. Go with non stainless steel FCG pins.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I don't know what kind of aluminum your 80% lower was made out of but 7075 T7 is nearly corrosion proof. It won't matter if it has stainless steal touching it. If you're that worried about it then just add some Alodine to the FCG holes.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    Pictures now that you have completed the lower?

Edit: I saw them in the other thread. It looks good.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I don't know what kind of aluminum your 80% lower was made out of but 7075 T7 is nearly corrosion proof. It won't matter if it has stainless steal touching it. If you're that worried about it then just add some Alodine to the FCG holes.

ITs called galvanic corrosion or Galvanic response. Aluminum and stainless together without an electrolyte is fine. Throw in moisture or sweat the aluminum will corrode. This is only applies to metal to metal. The closer the two metals are to each other on the galvanic response scale the better, that means the response will either be weak or not all the farther apart on the scale the more corrosive the response will be and the softer metal will lose.

http://www.corrosionist.com/stainless_steel_aluminum_galvanic_corrosion.html

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    do homemade 80%'s still need to be serialized and "registered" prior to 10/1 in order to remain legal in MD?

No. Flys 100% under the radar, however you need to serialize it if:

1) You make a NFA rifle (short barrel or suppressor)
    2) You need to send it to an FFL for work (i.e. anodizing, etc.)

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    Just finished my homebrew anodizing. Anodized fine, but wish the black came out darker. Its what I get for going with the cheap stuff :lol2:

I may topcoat it with gunkote or something similar.

really should've been etched and desmutted since I'm pretty sure its 7075 aluminum. will work fine as a base substrate though...

Nonetheless, this cost me less than $30 to do ;)

Attachments

• anodized.jpg
      anodized.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 361

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    looks good most manufacturers black is actually a dark charcoal or dark grey, it doesn't look to be to far off some of the ARs I have in the cabinet.

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    Lower is done :)

Came out decent. couple scratches putting the mag catch on...damn that side rollpin. I just hit the scratches with a sharpie. That front takedown pin SUCKS to assemble LOL.

Attachments

• lower_assembled.jpg
      lower_assembled.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 321

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads