• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Stopped at TSC yesterday to pick up some deer corn since the season is here and prices are pretty rough this year.....$9 and change for 40lbs and almost $12 for 50 lbs. Anyone have a source that's a little more reasonable in Charles County? I'll sometimes go to Stouffe's Feed Mill, it's an Amish place down Rt 5 but is kind of a haul and I was wondering if there was someplace closer.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    There is a farm down off of rt. 6 near the Korner Karryout (the shell station off of 5 on the northbound side) about a mile or two down, you will see a sign for deer corn. I think they were $11 per 100 lb of corn last year. You could also ask at Wood's produce in charlotte hall. One of the guy's who worked there last year directed us to an uncle or brother or something that was selling it real cheap last year.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    corn prices are way up this year. I plan to get another 1/2 pallet before they get even higher, which is predicted.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yep even Walmart in La Plata is through the roof this year at $8-9 for the 40lb noisy Remington bags. 13 acres were planted this year on the farm and also have some barrels coming from another friendly farmer in the county until my stuff gets on the ground just have to wait for the field to dry up a little from all the rains we've had.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Keep in mind "deer corn" does not have to be "whole kernel" corn. They will eat coarse cracked just as well and it doesn't have to be made with molasses either. Another alternative is to ask a local farmer for it when he gets to harvest time, which is very soon, buy it super cheap still on the cob and save big money. You don't really need corn now unless you are trying to make it a habitual training aid for later on in the Winter, there's too many akerns right now and corn will not be effective until the acorns are about gone. Deer also don't have to travel much, since, the akerns are right at their feet, they are just not desperate yet. So, I guess what I mean is, the investment in a $9.00 bag of corn is not required at this point.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Keep in mind "deer corn" does not have to be "whole kernel" corn. They will eat coarse cracked just as well and it doesn't have to be made with molasses either. Another alternative is to ask a local farmer for it when he gets to harvest time, which is very soon, buy it super cheap still on the cob and save big money. You don't really need corn now unless you are trying to make it a habitual training aid for later on in the Winter, there's too many akerns right now and corn will not be effective until the acorns are about gone. Deer also don't have to travel much, since, the akerns are right at their feet, they are just not desperate yet. So, I guess what I mean is, the investment in a $9.00 bag of corn is not required at this point.

I disagree, I have had 15 deer in two days come out from under oak trees in the woods onto the field edge to eat corn from my two piles. Including that big buck i shot thursday. I put out 50lbs and its gone in less then a week. I put it out like september 5th and i had pictures of deer on it(10 total in one picture) the very next day.

So I guess it all depends on where you hunt, but if your not deep in the woods then corn is very effective now.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably hit Stouffers and get enough to last till the harvest comes in.

I disagree, I have had 15 deer in two days come out from under oak trees in the woods onto the field edge to eat corn from my two piles. Including that big buck i shot thursday.
    The deer I've seen from my stand haven't been too interested in the corn. They browse it, but are eating mostly foliage on low shrubs and trees. The doe I took stopped to eat some corn. It turned out to be fatal.

A farmer told me prices are going to drop. I suppose that makes sense as the supply increases with the harvest.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    We paid $14 for 100lbs at Jack's off 50. Prices have jumped big time, we paid $11 last year. I see the average being between $8-9 for 50lbs.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Do you guys have Agway, or Southern States in your neck of the woods? Sometimes there prices, are better than the big chain stores.

Corn does work good for deer. Weve used it to bait them in for trail cam pics. The turkeys and racoons like it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom