• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'm leaving today and spending 7 nights in the southern Utah desert. I'll be up late Saturday and Sunday photographing the meteors in some of the darkest sky in America. Last year I didn't get to go out for the Perseids because I was recovering from my spine fusion surgery. Here is a picture of the Perseids that I took in 2016. I was camping in a valley in New Mexico for that show.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm leaving today and spending 7 nights in the southern Utah desert. I'll be up late Saturday and Sunday photographing the meteors in some of the darkest sky in America. Last year I didn't get to go out for the Perseids because I was recovering from my spine fusion surgery. Here is a picture of the Perseids that I took in 2016. I was camping in a valley in New Mexico for that show.

That's pretty sweet. You remember what your shutter speed was?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Location, location, location. The three things that matter for real estate and meteor watching.

I get nothing worth staying up for in MoCo. OTOH, I was driving during the wee hours of the morning from L.A. to Edwards AFB north of Palmdale, Calif. Other than the stars and my headlights, it is coal black out there.

I was caught totally by surprise by the Perseids. It was incredible. Ultra high speed streaks of light that looked almost like you could reach out and touch them...or be hit by them. That and there was the time I stayed at a cabin in Eagle County near the tree line about 40 miles west of Aspen. Boy, could you see stars! You guys living at altitude and away from the sky shine of city lights really have a view.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    That's pretty sweet. You remember what your shutter speed was?

This is actually a composite. I took a photo of the tent and canyon wall just after dusk. The Milky Way was behind me as I took that photo, so I got a photo of the Milky Way at probably 20 seconds F2.8 ISO 3200 with a 14mm F2.8 lens. Then I did a series of 30 second exposures to capture the meteors. I assembled the different photos in Photoshop.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    This is actually a composite. I took a photo of the tent and canyon wall just after dusk. The Milky Way was behind me as I took that photo, so I got a photo of the Milky Way at probably 20 seconds F2.8 ISO 3200 with a 14mm F2.8 lens. Then I did a series of 30 second exposures to capture the meteors. I assembled the different photos in Photoshop.

I was wondering how dim a LED light you would need to be able to expose the tent that way and the Milky way as well, in one shot.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

Excellent photograph(s). Have you ever lugged a scope on one of your trips?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    This picture was taken Wednesday night near Dugway, Utah. The peak isn't until Sunday, but you can see two Perseids in this shot. This picture is straight from the camera, no editing at all. It's a 10 second exposure, ISO 6400, 16mm lens at F1.4.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    aren't you supposed to be in NW Colo finding me some elk!!?? j/k, that nite sky is amazing. i saw two off our deck in canaan valley last week just going out for a couple of minutes. and mars the other nite was pretty cool (been cloudy since)

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    aren't you supposed to be in NW Colo finding me some elk!!?? j/k, that nite sky is amazing. i saw two off our deck in canaan valley last week just going out for a couple of minutes. and mars the other nite was pretty cool (been cloudy since)

I took I-70 on the way to Utah. There is a wildfire on Battlement Mesa just across I-70 from Rifle and Parachute. The whole area is incredibly smoky and there are signs along I-70 saying don't stop on the highway to look at the fire.

Speaking of Mars, here it is over my FJ Tuesday night in the Utah desert.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I took I-70 on the way to Utah. There is a wildfire on Battlement Mesa just across I-70 from Rifle and Parachute. The whole area is incredibly smoky and there are signs along I-70 saying don't stop on the highway to look at the fire.

Speaking of Mars, here it is over my FJ Tuesday night in the Utah desert.

Nice. Apparently last week Mars was the closest that it will be to Earth for the next 269 years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Was this what was causing the cool lights under your FJ? If it was, and they gave you a red suit, don’t lose the instruction book!

Attachments

• 0025223A-5801-4FEA-87FB-7F2B52B092EF.jpeg
      0025223A-5801-4FEA-87FB-7F2B52B092EF.jpeg
      19.8 KB · Views: 246

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Nice. Apparently last week Mars was the closest that it will be to Earth for the next 269 years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you notice in the photo the stars are pin points of light in sharp focus but Mars is a bit of an elongated blob. That's because it's so much closer than the stars it has a lot more relative motion than the stars do and moves enough during the 10 second exposure to appear blurry while the stars barely move and remain sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom