Possession of a handgun in Baltimore could soon come with one year mandatory prison

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually: 1. States where no restrictions upon licensed carry in alcohol serving establishments has similar low occurences as states where flatly prohibited, or those states with some sort of intermeadate policies.
    2. After Va changed to allow CCW is alcohol serving establishments a cpl years ago, the rate of assaults in such establishments went down.
    3. At the recent Women's Project event at US Capitol where PP was there in support, I heard the tragic account of the Lady representing Tenn . At the time she and her husband were running a Karoke event in a club, and the then state law required them to disarm. While forced to be disarmed, her husband was murdered by a stalker ( of her). She was instrumental in convincing TN Legislature to change law to allow CCW , as long as carrier not consuming.

But as to Balt :

4-203 already carries up to 3yr penalties for illegal carry. Posses of firearm in furtherance of Drug Trafficing already illegal. Possesion by Felons already illegal state and federal.

More than enough laws already, simply not being used.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is someone going to run through the city with a map and draw a 100 yard circle around every building that claims religious or educational operations?

What if my neighbor opens a church in his basement and the circle overlaps the room where I keep my weapons? Sounds silly, but there are religions (Amish comes to mind) that don't maintain formal houses of worship. Services are held at member residences on a rotating basis. Are those houses now all religious structures? Continuously? Only when services are in session? Do I need to go door to door to my neighbors to determine their religious affiliation?

What if the circle from a block over goes to the center of the road? Does that mean I can travel south over that road but not north?

What if my neighbor starts an internet training academy to teach astrology online? Is his house now an educational facility?

I wonder if the people that write these laws even bother to talk to judges, who have to sort these questions out and interpret them in the real world?
    Antigun politicians have shown themselves to be unaware that long guns can fire 9mm, that filing a firing pin doesnt make a gun full auto, that glocks CAN be detected by metal detectors, and that magazines can be reloaded...sooooo... Nahh gunna say they pretty much don't think beyond an infantile impulse when puking out a new feelgood gun infringement.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    IF that really happened & the prosecutors decided to man up, the jails would be filled up in 2 months...

My guess is that it won't happen because they'd call it racial profiling...

It's just about as likely as a Cease Fire...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So that just means it is plea bargained away, just like the 5 year minimum sentence for use of a handgun in a crime we have State wide now. the laws are there to put criminals in jail, all we need is the willingness of the Courts!

You're mistaken. IMO, these "feelgood" laws are enacted to be used to get the thugs to cop to a lesser charge, and to ensnare otherwise law-abiding citizens.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    IF that really happened & the prosecutors decided to man up, the jails would be filled up in 2 months...

My guess is that it won't happen because they'd call it racial profiling...

It's just about as likely as a Cease Fire...

I've recently seen somewhere an article that for-profit prisons out West are nearly empty and are actively soliciting "paying customers."

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Here is my viewpoint on this whole thing.

1. This does nothing to those that are acting within the law as the exemptions to 4-203 apply.
    2. There are tougher penalties under 4-203 that anyone that can be charged under this new city statute can already be charged under 4-203
    3. Given that the charges under 4-203 are rarely enforced properly, the same will hold true with this.

Complete feelgood legislation

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    So apparently there willl be a protest in Baltimore against this because this would cause people to go to jail who are just trying to protect themselves. I wonder if this would be something that MSI should participate in.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    So apparently there willl be a protest in Baltimore against this because this would cause people to go to jail who are just trying to protect themselves. I wonder if this would be something that MSI should participate in.

Listen to this, especially about half way through were they talk about how important it is for some otherwise good people, trapped in the hood, to carry a gun for self protection.

http://weaa.org/post/first-edition-july-17-baltimores-proposed-mandatory-one-year-minimum-gun-law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

funnsun34

Jan 6, 2013
    Baltimore City
    this smells bad

I know very well this is to scare your typical Joe that might think about carrying to protect themselves since crime is off the charts in the city right now.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    C4 with Del Curt Anderson "You can get a concealed carry permit" C4:"Next to impossible " Anderson:"HPRB approving 70%, well, maybe not, ...but guns are bad!"

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    C4 with Del Kurt Anderson "You can get a concealed carry permit" C4:"Next to impossible " Anderson:"HPRB approving 70%, well, maybe not, ...but guns are bad!"

Hopefully articles like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/...y-gun-to-school.html?comments#permid=23394794 and this http://wtop.com/national/2017/07/black-women-picking-up-firearms-for-self-defense/slide/1/

get the message out to Del Anderson.

It's time for a thoughtful compromise where we relax permit restrictions for law abiding people, and simultaneously punish the true bad guys (felon in possession) with stiffer sentences.

I am always hopeful common sense will prevail, but I never bet on it.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Hopefully articles like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/...y-gun-to-school.html?comments#permid=23394794 and this http://wtop.com/national/2017/07/black-women-picking-up-firearms-for-self-defense/slide/1/

get the message out to Del Anderson.

It's time for a thoughtful compromise where we relax permit restrictions for law abiding people, and simultaneously punish the true bad guys (felon in possession) with stiffer sentences.

I am always hopeful common sense will prevail, but I never bet on it.

It's funny that's somehow a compromise now. Sounds like the RIGHT thing to so. Jesus man, this state.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Anderson said a 70 yo man can't be trusted to carry a firearm in the city.

So, he is an ageist?

Honestly, he could be right. Old people have no ****s left to give and can be ornery. On the other hand, they'll just beat you over the head with the nearest object if they don't have a gun.

But honestly, they probably do have a gun because they have no ****s left to give.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Must be an all out push to get the appearance of doing something - Davis(?) was on 98 Rock morning show rolling out the arguments for this.

He nelegected to say anything about EXISTING laws to put people illegally carrying away.

He did say, for those arrested carrying to the gun show, range, etc., that there was prosecuturial discretion as to whether they would be sent to court. Who here wants to put their freedom in Mosby's hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom