• Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    How many here have HF comms capability?
    (Count=14, 3/18/20)

Are you up and running (legally)?

Could you be up and running in a week (legally)?

Last edited:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    How many here have HF comms capability?

Are you up and running (legally)?

Could you be up and running in a week (legally)?

I have my ham radio setup at the house (Yeasu FT-897) and I have a mobile unit (Yaesu FT-857) in my vehicle. I have HF/VHF/UHF capabilities with each radio.

Fully legal (extra class license), and can be running now if I wanted to.

Whatever you do, this situation is not an “end of the world” scenario and you shouldn’t operate without a license. I have no doubt the FCC would issue a fine once things calm down.

That being said, it’s a great time to study for your ham radio license if you have free time.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes, Yes and Yes

I’m really interested in HF digital modes. I wish there was something like FT8 that could accommodate maybe 64 or 128 characters and allow a bit of QSO. It could be useful in an emergency situation.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, Yes and Yes

I’m really interested in HF digital modes. I wish there was something like FT8 that could accommodate maybe 64 or 128 characters and allow a bit of QSO. It could be useful in an emergency situation.

There is, it's called JS8Call. Similar to FT8 but can do QSO's at 20 to 30 WPM rates..

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes, Yes and Yes

Have you tried PSK31? It's not meant for poor conditions like FT8 but you can have lengthy QSOs.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Yes, Yes and Yes

I agree. I have heard that JS8 can do it (as mentioned below), but haven't tried it.

I'm also interested in setting up an AREDN network, but that's a whole 'nutter ball game and probably quite difficult.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I added a count of HF operators to the original post (currently 8)

Any interest in starting a net? I'm not a part of any other nets because most just run too much BS or are trying to manage contacts that are just too weak. But a "Maryland Prep Net" might be a good routine thing to set up. If comms were down, there'd be any established time/place to call in, get info, etc...

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes,yes,yes
    Extra

I am on the air all the time

I guess more of you will be joining me now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Are there regular frequencies where stations congregate like FT8?

Usually very close to the FT8 frequencies. The program already has pre-programed frequencies on different bands.

Yes, you download the JS8Call software and when you select the band it will try to tune your radio to the usual frequency on that band, if you have cat configured.

JS8Call also has the ability to create groups where it can store-and-forward messages. So we can have our own group and even send messages offline. I would like to do that for some kind of MDS or preppers group. The messages would have to be short and maybe we could come up with our own abbreviations. Just something where if another MDS'r needed something they could ask and get assistance from the group. Or maybe quick status messages: "ALL GOOD" or "LOW ON AMMO".

What do you all think?

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Can I suggest and old school, informal 75 Meter SSB net? Possibly 8:00 or 9:00 PM local, one evening per week. In the general portion of the band.

Call it the Gun Nuts Net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom