• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am a fan of my SDN. Not a fan of AAC's muzzle devices.

Any gun I have with an AAC muzzle device gets fired with a suppressor...so I never really see the muzzle device. LOL.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Fan of the SDN-6 as well. Feels like it is built like a tank, mine locks up right. I do try to be conscious to press the little lever down when installing to keep wear down on the teeth. Very little POI shift and it is repeatable. Run it on multiple hosts.

I do the same when installing. Use it on .308, 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.5....

:thumbsup: I like the SDN-6 and have the 51T mount on a number of hosts. Also run the older M4-2000 for .223/5.56.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Any gun I have with an AAC muzzle device gets fired with a suppressor...so I never really see the muzzle device. LOL.

Different brand for me but same setup. One can, multiple guns with mounts. Never shoot them without the can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is QD and then there is QD.

I am not a fan of the 1/4 or 1/2 turn type QDs. They no not locate the device that well.

I have two Thunderbeast cans. They thread onto a muzzle device, but it takes several turns.

The TB cans are known for no change in POI with or without the can. And they have both a muzzle break and a flash suppressor type muzzle device.

Works great.

And yes, as long as you check you actually threaded it on. :D

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Buying a can for multiple firearms is like buy a higher end camera. You are buying into a lens system, only the lenses are mounts.
    Consider in the cost of whatever mount you have for each gun. I have a bunch of ASR mounts of multiple rifles since I have SiCo cans and three lug was not an option when I was buying cans. Do your research. Find the can you like and see what kind of mounts are available.
    If you choose something that is common among the different manufacturers, you will not be stuck with one brand.
    Be advised, cans will get hot as hell. Make sure you get something to handle them when hot if you switching hosts. I have seen them glowing red from mag dumps. Pistol cans will get hot as well with rapid fire. Have a place to sit them down that wont burn or leave a permanent mark on you or the can. Can you say Ove Glove...
    Lord Chad had a thread on here a long time ago where he uses a metal thermos to put them in and transport when hot....

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I appreciate everyones input. Looks like i have some more research to do. Right now overall for what im looking for and for the price vs performance and quality it looks like the Resonator and SDN-6 are the top contenders to compare but im still considering the optimus. I think if i didnt already have the GM-45 it would be my clear winner.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    One option to consider is to look for a can that is threaded 1.375x24 allowing you to switch between QD interfaces.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/pla...ga-nomad-other-1-375x24-threaded-suppressors/
    https://yhm.net/phantom-qd-adapter.html
    https://www.liveqordie.com/products/plan-b/
    https://deadairsilencers.com/product/key-mo/

If YHM made the Resonator that was threaded 1.375x24 like the Turbo K it would be my top choice for a 30 cal rifle can.
    So you're saying with the resonator im stuck buying their QD brake?

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    One option to consider is to look for a can that is threaded 1.375x24 allowing you to switch between QD interfaces.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/pla...ga-nomad-other-1-375x24-threaded-suppressors/
    https://yhm.net/phantom-qd-adapter.html
    https://www.liveqordie.com/products/plan-b/
    https://deadairsilencers.com/product/key-mo/

If YHM made the Resonator that was threaded 1.375x24 like the Turbo K it would be my top choice for a 30 cal rifle can.
    It may just be me because I have a lot of cans, but the ability to standardize or even swap between multiple families of muzzle devices has never mattered that much to me. I tend to buy a can with one or two firearms in mind (or even build a rifle with the can in mind) and just leave those the way I have them.

Given how popular it is nowadays, I am probably missing something. Maybe in a few years when new generations of cans show up I will be kicking myself for not worrying about it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I appreciate everyones input. Looks like i have some more research to do. Right now overall for what im looking for and for the price vs performance and quality it looks like the Resonator and SDN-6 are the top contenders to compare but im still considering the optimus. I think if i didnt already have the GM-45 it would be my clear winner.
    I think you would be really happy with any of those three. I don't know if this changes your mind at all, but Griffin is currently running a promo where you can buy their new modular aluminum 22lr can for $125 + tax stamp when you buy one of their other suppressors (including the Optimus). I think all of their rifle cans are really nice and tend to sound good. The downside is that Griffin sells a lot of different .30 Cal cans outside of the Optimus, so you might get bogged down trying to figure out which one suits you best.

There are so many good ones out there from so many different companies that even I have a hard time deciding what my priorities for future purchase might be. Pretty silly given I already have 4 .30 Cal cans . . .

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    I have the griffin paladin I really like. It has a taper mount which is a hybrid between Direct thread and QD. Best of both worlds. I really like the Rugged Radiant that just came out as well.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I ended up ordering the Resonator. For what it could do for the price, it was clear cut for me. I'll buy a couple extra muzzle devices and be good. 90% of the time ill be shooting suppressed in my back yard so im not too concerned about the device as long as it holds up. The suppressor is primarily for my neighbors and my dogs benefit.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I ended up ordering the Resonator. For what it could do for the price, it was clear cut for me. I'll buy a couple extra muzzle devices and be good. 90% of the time ill be shooting suppressed in my back yard so im not too concerned about the device as long as it holds up. The suppressor is primarily for my neighbors and my dogs benefit.
    If it works as well as the YHM Turbo I have does, I think you'll be happy. I keep having to talk myself out of a Resonator to have a beater can lying around.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have a Surefire 300AACsocom in NFA jail. I'm curious if anyone has one? If so, how do you like it?

I've been intrigued by the OSS suppressors, but they seem to be scarce on the ground. Anyone have firsthand info? They seem really innovative.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I have a Surefire 300AACsocom in NFA jail. I'm curious if anyone has one? If so, how do you like it?

I've been intrigued by the OSS suppressors, but they seem to be scarce on the ground. Anyone have firsthand info? They seem really innovative.

I don't have any first hand knowledge with the Surefire other than putting my paws all over one - other than to say you'll likely be happy.

As for OSS - I don't personally own one but I've seen firsthand enough that I'm not on that bandwagon.. Innovative - yes, but would I want to own one (other than at a highly discounted price), sorry but no thank you. I won't beat them up, but in the suppressor market, I think there's a number of great choices and right now and OSS wouldn't be on my top 5...

For the other readers who ponder the quick detach versus direct thread. Get a can that can do both and be done with it. I don't even consider that a discussion point any longer - with the changeable mounts, you can have cake and ice cream. Why choose one? Doesn't make sense here and it's same argument for a .30 cal can versus smaller.. On a side note though - although I have and can do both, I've never direct threaded any of my cans (other than pistol).. Haven't had the need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom