Could this be considered straw purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Anti’s need nothing more than “Blah Blah sold a gun blah blah” to smear you as anti-science and a white supremacist. The fact that no one on MDS even suggested forgoing a background check will be completely ignored by them.

When you suggest letting the wife be the buyer, you are basically forgoing a background check. It’s funny how folks agonize over what kind of fore grip is legal on an AR pistol, but when a potential buyer tries to arrange a classic straw purchase it suddenly becomes the FFLs problem.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I hate when I don't notice and put the flexible part of my Flexi Straw down inside my drink. Purchase them by the box.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Delay could be as simple as having a name in common with a prohibited person. People with clearances sometimes have issues. The guys I know who've been delayed once tend to experience delays again. That's why someone might think it would be delayed.

If this was truly about an aticipated delay, there would be no need to perform a straw purchase. He would simply tell the seller 'hey with my hispanic name, I usually get delayed, its gonna be a few days until the transaction closes'. This guy knows that it is more than a delay.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If this was truly about an aticipated delay, there would be no need to perform a straw purchase. He would simply tell the seller 'hey with my hispanic name, I usually get delayed, its gonna be a few days until the transaction closes'. This guy knows that it is more than a delay.

Why would he think the seller would care at all about a delay? A delay would only affect the buyer and the FFL. This guy is anticipating a permanent delay.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think the 'delay' was the red flag. The red flag was the changing the buyer's name from his name to his wife's name.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Sorry - I was just responding to the question a couple posts up about how someone might expect their background check to be delayed. Most people who get one delay tend to experience it more than once.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    The buyer is explicitly telling you that this is a straw purchase. Run; don’t walk.

As a general matter, if you find yourself saying “this feels illegal; wonder if it is?” it’s a good bet that the thing you’re considering doing is illegal or at least unwise.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Sorry - I was just responding to the question a couple posts up about how someone might expect their background check to be delayed. Most people who get one delay tend to experience it more than once.

I had delays when I was a PR. Sometimes the link from NICS to the USCIS database is down. No big deal, wait for the call from the FFL and pick it up 3 days later. Fixed the problem by obtaining CCP (this is outside of MD).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just to update… I did pull out of this transaction. Thanks to all for the advice!!

Thank you for the update.

So often people come here with a question or recommendation and we never hear from them again. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom