• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I recently bought this 30 rdmag and have not been able to id it. I was told it was a Vietnam war battle field pick up from 1967. I have no reason to not believe the story. I am hoping someone can id the marks and give me a little more info on it. Appears to have a baked enamel finish, In the first pics you can see the marks on the spine if you know where to look and I provided drawings of the marks with proper orientation in other pics. Marked "M A" on left side of spine. A "6" inside of a partial diamond on the right side of the spine. I am assuming the partial diamond is due not being stamped squarely. Also a "D" on lower left side of body. Follower is pill with hole type. Single witness hole on back right side. I have searched and can find no reference to the marks. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• mag right side.jpg
      mag right side.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 114
    • mag right mark.jpg
      mag right mark.jpg
      27.4 KB · Views: 122
    • mag left side.jpg
      mag left side.jpg
      106.5 KB · Views: 112
    • mag left stamps.jpg
      mag left stamps.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 123
    • mag follwer.JPG
      mag follwer.JPG
      16.6 KB · Views: 119
    • mag bottom.JPG
      mag bottom.JPG
      20.1 KB · Views: 114
    • mag front.JPG
      mag front.JPG
      16.2 KB · Views: 115

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The spot welds and marks you described would make it Romanian most likely. Romanians are usually parked though, so it's probably been painted by someone.

It *could* be an Egyptian mag, theirs are painted shiny black from the factory. But usually their spot welds are teardrop shaped and not the sloppy ovals like on Romys.

Mags in Vietnam would have most commonly been of the spineless Chicom variety. That's not to say it wasn't a bringback, but unlikely to be.

Either way it's got character!

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Thanks for the info. I bought this mag, 3 Chinese mags, a triangle 36 75 rd drum, and an open but full can of 7.62x39 Chinese steel core in a good deal I found in a local classified. One of the chicom mags has a pill type follower that I am sure is not original to it but still works. I may post on theakforum if I can remember my password. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom