• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So today I’ve got two crews working with me down in DC on E St near Verizon center. We get there at 6am and find three spots right in front of our job-site loading dock Alley. Paid parking starts at 7am. I note the zone and space mumbers and go up to the jobsite. At 6:55ish I use my phone to pay for both trucks and my car for 2hrs.

At about 8:50 so one crew is finished. The first truck pulls out and my other guys move up one space so we can unload their van. I pay for parking in the new spot for 3hrs on the app. I take my car to go grab coffee for the crew and come back to find them just finishing up unloading and park directly behind them. I pay for parking using the app fir my car.

15min later I help one of my guys go back down and grab some tools and supplies. I see a woman taking photos of my cars plate and then the van. I ask her whats up. She says she is writing tickets for parking over two hours.

I start getting into a pissing match with her and say that I actually left and came back to find the space empty and the other van has only been parked in this spot for 30min and proceed to show her my phone receipt. She replies that two hour parking means you cannot park in the same “zone for more than 2hrs not the same spot” and “that we should have parked across the street”.

So I totally lose my cool and say WTF are you talking about. There is no sign that says thus and the DC parking app doesn’t warn you or restrict you from parking as we did. She replies “there is no sign saying you can come back to the same spot either so why did you do that”. She actually said that.

She then says that she is not going to take any more harassment from me and If I have a problem I can take it up with the magistrate.

*** wait there’s more***

After that job I have a meeting at another site on U st. I pay for 2hrs parking. We finish up a few minutes early and I walk to my car with the GC to give him some drawings and samples. We are chit-chatting at the back of my car with the rear hatch up. I see out of the corner of my eye another traffic enforcement person scanning my tag and before I could get to the front of my car she slips the ticket under my wiper.

I swear if I ever ever get a job that is being paid for by the DC govt and they make a mistake or need a change order I’m getting my money from today back!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I've been working from a service truck in DC about 2 days a week regularly for the last 12 years. It's a cat and mouse game. They definitely make sh*t up as they go along and they don't care. Good luck fighting them, too. It is government theft.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    They're drones...and the entire parking procedures in DC are meant for a fundraiser for the city or as politicians would say..."revenue enhancement". It doesn't have to make sense beyond that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah, the blessings of modern parking systems. Some parts of downtown, they'll tow your ass as soon as the 'meter' runs dry. Forget about moving it around the corner. You're still in the same zone and they have you on the computer saying as much. Can't wait to leave this ********, once and for all.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    That's one of the reasons I never, ever go into the District of Columbia unless I have no choice. Not even to drive through.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I got a ticket last week while unloading in a marked loading zone for not having a "loading" sign in my window.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yeah, the blessings of modern parking systems. Some parts of downtown, they'll tow your ass as soon as the 'meter' runs dry. Forget about moving it around the corner. You're still in the same zone and they have you on the computer saying as much. Can't wait to leave this ********, once and for all.

Sad but true. One if my guys was unloading in baltimore. He was in the back of the van and I guess the tow truck driver didn’t realize it. when a tow truck was hooking up he jumped into the drivers seat and honked the horn. They got into an argument and tow driver told him to get out of the car he was towing the van. My guy called me and I spoke to the tow driver and said I know you cant tow with a person in the car and I’ll pay my guy to sit in the van all day if I have to. We exchanged a few volleys pleasantries and eventually he realized he would make more money towing someone else.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Barry once wanted to have a press conference to announce the city generated $50mil in parking "revenue" - his aides talked him out of it.

There is every incentive for DC to ticket anything for revenue. The city would probably ticket the homeless guy for not moving if they thought they could get money from them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sad but true. One if my guys was unloading in baltimore. He was in the back of the van and I guess the tow truck driver didn’t realize it. when a tow truck was hooking up he jumped into the drivers seat and honked the horn. They got into an argument and tow driver told him to get out of the car he was towing the van. My guy called me and I spoke to the tow driver and said I know you cant tow with a person in the car and I’ll pay my guy to sit in the van all day if I have to. We exchanged a few volleys pleasantries and eventually he realized he would make more money towing someone else.
    Haha. That's a good work around. I usually make my customers provide parking whenever possible (DC). Other times, I find a lot. I thank God every day that I no longer do installations. 41 years of that ******** was enough!

Only time I ever actually got towed was in Bethesda. Parked(and working in) in front of Airights building and rush hour started. They towed me less than 10 minutes after 3:30 hit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    like my dad was fond of saying, they don't need a gun to commit robbery. one of the reasons i stay away from cities and definitely dc. can you imagine if actual commercial companies made business relationships so completely antagonistic for their customers. but yes the govt (including DMV) is pretty much untouchable and as a result doesn't care about their constituents' welfare.

sht4fun

Mar 19, 2017
    I have to work in DC 3 times a week. Otherwise, I avoid going there. Parking is a hassle and speed cameras all over. Money makers.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I was stuck in DC for two months many moons ago by the AT+T building. Lucked into a broken meter around the corner and just kept ripping the duct tape off so the repair guys wouldn't know which one was broken. Worked one night as saw over a dozen 'officers' walking the streets ticketing everything they could. My tag was mounted below the bumper and I got a no front tag on my MD registered car. Mailed them a picture with the ticket.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was stuck in DC for two months many moons ago by the AT+T building. Lucked into a broken meter around the corner and just kept ripping the duct tape off so the repair guys wouldn't know which one was broken. Worked one night as saw over a dozen 'officers' walking the streets ticketing everything they could. My tag was mounted below the bumper and I got a no front tag on my MD registered car. Mailed them a picture with the ticket.

Its illegal to part at a nonfunctioning meter. It doesn't matter if repair knows about it or not.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I hear ya man :mad54:.
    I started a job in NE and lasted half a day before I said no f'n way I'm working down here. Customer was understanding about it and said I should have warned you.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I was doing clinical time at Children's Hospital for 3 weeks over the summer and we had to pay for parking in the garage. We were told there was parking off the hospital grounds but it was "park at your own risk".

$7 a day was worth it to get off and know my car wasn't towed, booted or broken into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom