• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Hey guys, looking to purchase a snub nosed .38 revolver for my lady for Christmas. I'm looking to stay around $400 or less.

I'm leaning towards the Taurus 85 or the S&W 637 or Bodyguard 38.

Suggestions? Comments? Other options you have experience with?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    None of the above.

I am not a revolver guy but I do own a LCR in .38 and love it. Super light weight, super smooth trigger (best revolver trigger ever IMHO), I can't imagine a better .38 snubby.

If you were asking about .357 snubbies I'd have to go with my SP101. I am almost as biased on the subject of revolvers as I am about semi-auto pistols.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I really feel that the Ruger Sp-101 is hard to beat in that category. I do not trust any gun made by Taurus.

As an aside, is this for a range gun or a protection gun? If it's protection than I'd largely advocate letting her pick what she wants. The smaller the gun, the less it weighs and the less it weighs the more recoil the shooter feels. My experience is that many of my female friends did better with a Glock 19 than an Sp-101. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I'm partial to Smiths especially the 60 series. They can fire +p and I've never found a better out of the box trigger pull. The 60 is the foundation for the lady smith. I prefer to have the hammer.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    None of the above.

I am not a revolver guy but I do own a LCR in .38 and love it. Super light weight, super smooth trigger (best revolver trigger ever IMHO), I can't imagine a better .38 snubby.

If you were asking about .357 snubbies I'd have to go with my SP101. I am almost as biased on the subject of revolvers as I am about semi-auto pistols.

I have been considering the LCR and just discovered the sp101.

I really feel that the Ruger Sp-101 is hard to beat in that category. I do not trust any gun made by Taurus.

As an aside, is this for a range gun or a protection gun? If it's protection than I'd largely advocate letting her pick what she wants. The smaller the gun, the less it weighs and the less it weighs the more recoil the shooter feels. My experience is that many of my female friends did better with a Glock 19 than an Sp-101. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Range and self protection. I have a Glock 19 personally and she shoots it very well but prefers a revolver for protection.

I'm partial to Smiths especially the 60 series. They can fire +p and I've never found a better out of the box trigger pull. The 60 is the foundation for the lady smith.

I had looked at the lady Smith but I'm still back and forth on exposed hammer or internal hammer. Opinions?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Depends what you're doing. I have a s&w airweight 642 (internal hammer) that's a great pocket gun but it's doa and has a heavy trigger pull, which it's supposed to, but being +p you get more bang if you want for self defense. Also have a Taurus snub nose 38, not sure which model, that's single or double action that I prefer for plinking/target shooting.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The Taurus Model 85 is a great little revolver.....fifteen years ago. I wouldn't go near Taurus now.

As Joppa suggested, the Ruger SP101 is the cat's meow in a five shot snub nose. Takes .357 Magnum and .38 Special.

Surprisingly controllable when firing .357 Magnums too.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I had looked at the lady Smith but I'm still back and forth on exposed hammer or internal hammer. Opinions?

Personally, exposed. I can attest a .357 in a lightweight revolver can be a handful it shoot especially for a woman. I own a model 60-9 and the recoil is stout and it's a steel frame. My doctor uses a scandium ( I think it's pronounced and he hates to practice with it with .357.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Depends what you're doing. I have a s&w airweight 642 (internal hammer) that's a great pocket gun but it's doa and has a heavy trigger pull, which it's supposed to, but being +p you get more bang if you want for self defense. Also have a Taurus snub nose 38, not sure which model, that's single or double action that I prefer for plinking/target shooting.

I'm not familiar with revolvers, but is only the first pull DA with an exposed hammer then the rest are S.A.? If so I definitely want an exposed hammer.

The Taurus Model 85 is a great little revolver.....fifteen years ago. I wouldn't go near Taurus now.

As Joppa suggested, the Ruger SP101 is the cat's meow in a five shot snub nose. Takes .357 Magnum and .38 Special.

She held an SP101 yesterday and liked it. I've been telling her I'm looking at them for a carry gun for me lol.

Personally, exposed.

Why? Just curious.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'm not familiar with revolvers, but is only the first pull DA with an exposed hammer then the rest are S.A.? If so I definitely want an exposed hammer.

No, single/double only refers to trigger operation. Every revolver is double action as the hammer must be cocked and then released (two actions). Single action simply means you can manually cock the gun then release with the trigger (single operation by the trigger), and must be done manually for every shot.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

She held an SP101 yesterday and liked it. I've been telling her I'm looking at them for a carry gun for me lol.

Why? Just curious.

All pulls are Double Action, unless you have a hammer to cock.
    (There is no slide cocking the hammer after first pull)

S&W 637

163050_01_lg_0.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Range and self protection. I have a Glock 19 personally and she shoots it very well but prefers a revolver for protection.

Good deal. I stand by the recommendation of the Sp-101 then. She might like it with Crimson Trace laser grips, I never got used to them. When I bought mine ten years ago it was common to replace the hammer and trigger springs with Wolf brand springs to smooth out the trigger pull. I don't know if that's still commonly done but it did improve the trigger on my gun.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm partial to the ugly S&W model 38 (or 49, same gun, steel frame instead of alloy). You retain the ability to fire single-action, but the shroud is helpful to prevent the hammer spur from catching on stuff. I guess the 649 is also the same config.

If you must have 6 shots instead of five, Colt has a dandy hammer shroud for their Detective Special configured revolvers.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm partial to the ugly S&W model 38 (or 49, same gun, steel frame instead of alloy). You retain the ability to fire single-action, but the shroud is helpful to prevent the hammer spur from catching on stuff. I guess the 649 is also the same config.

If you must have 6 shots instead of five, Colt has a dandy hammer shroud for their Detective Special configured revolvers.

Stay away from the model 38 as it is an alloy gun and for the purpose of "wife at range" a all steel gun is going to be a better option to absorb the recoil. I have the model 38 and 49 and love them both but not so much for his requirements although the 49 would be a fit, price range will pull it out of the running and they are harder to find.

Here is the long and short. They will all be fine for range and SD but there are two real factors to consider.

A) Hammer vs no hammer............If you aren't carrying it then no hammer is stupid. Pulling the hammer back obviously lightens the trigger pull, lighter trigger pull means easier shooting, meaning more accurate shots, lastly meaning a happier wife. If shes not having fun than she isn't going to want to do it.

B) Alloy or steel. Simple............Steel. Heavier is better IMHO for your "requirements"

Suggestion--- I would personally suggest a S&W model 10 with the snub barrel. Exposed hammer (easier shooting), all steel (less perceived recoil), can be found from 350-500 on GB so it fights the price range and as an added bonus barring you don't cerakote it or drop it in rust it will not lose value should you decide you want something else.

Also you can replace everything I just said about the model 10 with SP101 and the results are basically the same. (Joppa's suggestion)

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    No, single/double only refers to trigger operation. Every revolver is double action as the hammer must be cocked and then released (two actions). Single action simply means you can manually cock the gun then release with the trigger (single operation by the trigger), and must be done manually for every shot.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated!

All pulls are Double Action, unless you have a hammer to cock.
    (There is no slide cocking the hammer after first pull)

S&W 637

163050_01_lg_0.jpg

Makes sense, Thanks!

Good deal. I stand by the recommendation of the Sp-101 then. She might like it with Crimson Trace laser grips, I never got used to them. When I bought mine ten years ago it was common to replace the hammer and trigger springs with Wolf brand springs to smooth out the trigger pull. I don't know if that's still commonly done but it did improve the trigger on my gun.

Local shop can get me a brand new SP101 for under 500 bucks. That may be the way to go.

5 should do but much appreciated!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Our friend MPDC is a revolver man and his suggestion of the Model 10 is a good one. That's a real workhorse gun.

Forgive me if you know this already. For my money, any snubnose is a compromise. You're sacrificing velocity for portability and concealability. That makes your round selection even more important than usual. Years ago I was taught by a Border Patrol instructor who preached that the only real option here was the "FBI load" for a snubnosed .38. The FBI load is a .38+p 158gr Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point. Buffalo Bore makes a really nice version of it and my Sp-101 eats them like expensive candy. They have performed well in every test I've ever seen.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Stay away from the model 38 as it is an alloy gun and for the purpose of "wife at range" a all steel gun is going to be a better option to absorb the recoil. I have the model 38 and 49 and love them both but not so much for his requirements although the 49 would be a fit, price range will pull it out of the running and they are harder to find.

Here is the long and short. They will all be fine for range and SD but there are two real factors to consider.

A) Hammer vs no hammer............If you aren't carrying it then no hammer is stupid. Pulling the hammer back obviously lightens the trigger pull, lighter trigger pull means easier shooting, meaning more accurate shots, lastly meaning a happier wife. If shes not having fun than she isn't going to want to do it.

B) Alloy or steel. Simple............Steel. Heavier is better IMHO for your "requirements"

Suggestion--- I would personally suggest a S&W model 10 with the snub barrel. Exposed hammer (easier shooting), all steel (less perceived recoil), can be found from 350-500 on GB so it fights the price range and as an added bonus barring you don't cerakote it or drop it in rust it will not lose value should you decide you want something else.

Also you can replace everything I just said about the model 10 with SP101 and the results are basically the same. (Joppa's suggestion)

Thank you for your input, I'm trying to talk her into a 4 inch revolver but she wants what she wants lol. I'll look into a model 10.

Our friend MPDC is a revolver man and his suggestion of the Model 10 is a good one. That's a real workhorse gun.

Forgive me if you know this already. For my money, any snubnose is a compromise. You're sacrificing velocity for portability and concealability. That makes your round selection even more important than usual. Years ago I was taught by a Border Patrol instructor who preached that the only real option here was the "FBI load" for a snubnosed .38. The FBI load is a .38+p 158gr Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point. Buffalo Bore makes a really nice version of it and my Sp-101 eats them like expensive candy. They have performed well in every test I've ever seen.

I'm not a fan of snub noses for the reasons you mentioned. I'm debating a sp101 in .357 just in case she gets comfortable enough to shoot them. However, I'm not sure how much of a benefit .357 would be over. 38 +P out of a 2 inch barrel. I use buffalo bore ammo in my woods gun, I'm a big fan.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I AM a revolver guy . The concept of " get a snubnose for the wife, because they are small & cute, and she's a girl " is a major red flag .

Is your wife experienced with revolvers generally ? With small frame snubs specifically? For anyone a lightweight snub is not a good choice for a first revolver ( or first handgun ).

Making a leap she's not experienced Revolver Lady , and because range fun was also listed , I will further join the chorus for the SP101 . Great guns , very shootable as snubs go . ( Yes , I continue my lust affair with 2in RB K frames . But you would have to search for one, and then wrestle a S&W collector over it .

Of the guns listed in first post , * I * would like a M637 to take the place of my previous M37 , but it's a " carry a lot, shoot a little " gun . The steel frame Taraus M85 is on the short list of guns that Taraus has done long enough , they have figured out.

I default prefer traditional hammer . If nothing else , I prefer holsters with thumbreak, etc , and traditional styled guns fit , and are secured better. And long ago I learned how to minimize snagging issues with traditional hammer spurs .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thank you for your input, I'm trying to talk her into a 4 inch revolver but she wants what she wants lol. I'll look into a model 10.

I'm not a fan of snub noses for the reasons you mentioned. I'm debating a sp101 in .357 just in case she gets comfortable enough to shoot them. However, I'm not sure how much of a benefit .357 would be over. 38 +P out of a 2 inch barrel. I use buffalo bore ammo in my woods gun, I'm a big fan.

Let her rent and shoot a 4 inch and a snub nose both. You might find she (maybe quickly) changes her mind.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720339980

Mr. Jones on a side note this auction may be worth watching. The revolver isn't in collector condition with the lack of original grips, very minor pitting, and no original box should keep the price down. this gun should go for less than 450. I know that's a little higher than you mentioned but other than that it meets all your requirements AND has that cool factor of the shroud. It's the all steel bodyguard so that should help a little with the recoil. You can still fire in both modes making it easier or your wife. You mentioned a possible SD gun and with it having very minor pitting already than who cares if it lays in a bedside table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom