• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I'm thinking about relocation to Frederick Co. My wife is not interested in moving to any rural areas, but still wants to stay within easy access to Frederick City, and of course she wants good schools for our children. What areas should we avoid, and which areas are good.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Gettysburg Pennsylvania is close to Frederick Marylinistan AND is in FREE America! I moved to Myersville in 1990 and was a nice rural area midway between Frederick and Hagerstown. Since then we’ve gotten the “refugees” from MoCo and the first thing they wanted to do was change it to where they came from! If you gotta stay in Marylinistan I’d say Washington county.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Avoid Frederick altogether! No...just joking. It would better to have you tell us what areas you're looking at and we can say whether they're good or not. There are so many communities...both new and older...it's difficult to keep track of them all as far as crime rates, safety, schools, etc. Definitely stay away from the Route 40/West Patrick Street area. Middletown is ok...Braddock Heights (where I live) is nice but the costs are getting out of hand. Walkersville is going to swallow up northern Frederick it seems. Urbana has grown tremendously and is essentially Montgomery County North.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I basically second TOMB, W Patrick St is going downhill, Urbana for easy access to MoCo, Walkersville for small town feel with easy access across the river to new commercial and residential areas. Linganore Lake and New Market are nice communities as well. Don't know as much about towns to the west.

How close to Frederick city/non-rural do you want?

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Gettysburg,PA and Leesburg,VA and even WV are both good options. I work in Rockville, MD, and we have folks from those areas who commute to Rockville, none of them would ever consider moving to MD!!
    Avoid MD altogether, and don't buy an NVHomes or Ryan constructed home or townhouse, the older the home the better the quality of construction...
    Avoid Urbana, the park and ride there is getting cars broken in, and catalytic converters cut out, coin guy who was there got his shop burglarized....

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    There are far worse places in MD you could end up than Frederick. We moved there from Columbia/HoCo in 2011 and have been pretty satisfied. We built a house in South Frederick in 2012 and still like the area a lot.

The area South of Tuscarora HS is growing like crazy and doesn't show any signs of letting-up anytime soon. No city taxes. Still relatively 'affordable' by MD standards. Lots of new construction. Decent schools and decent neighborhoods with easy access to I-70/270 and all the DC airports.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Gettysburg,PA and Leesburg,VA and even WV are both good options. I work in Rockville, MD, and we have folks from those areas who commute to Rockville, none of them would ever consider moving to MD!!
    Avoid MD altogether, and don't buy an NVHomes or Ryan constructed home or townhouse, the older the home the better the quality of construction...
    Avoid Urbana, the park and ride there is getting cars broken in, and catalytic converters cut out, coin guy who was there got his shop burglarized....

Where his shop used to be, now they are selling medical marijuana, this way the High school kids don't have to go far to get High........

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    I basically second TOMB, W Patrick St is going downhill, Urbana for easy access to MoCo, Walkersville for small town feel with easy access across the river to new commercial and residential areas. Linganore Lake and New Market are nice communities as well. Don't know as much about towns to the west.

How close to Frederick city/non-rural do you want?

Pennsylvania is out of the question. My wife and I grew up there and we know well the grass is not greener. However, were looking 15-20 mins outside of town. All these suggestions have been well received.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    We liked the areas that were closer to Howard County due to rating schools are getting in those areas.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007

I agree, about most of the newly constructed communities.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We liked the areas that were closer to Howard County due to rating schools are getting in those areas.
    We're in Urbana. We also looked at the Middletown and Oakdale High districts. Urbana is growing, but the middle and high school remains academically strong. You can also find housing away from the development areas.

I think that Middletown and Oakdale High also have academic strengths (as does Walkersville, TJ, and Tuscorara), and of the bunch, I'd consider Middletown next because of the older houses with bigger yards. I like the vibe of the area, and there's a convenient local shooting/hunting club nearby in Myersville. Oakdale has a variety of desirable property with land too (we were specially looking at the Holly Hills neighborhood, but they also have more rural options) but we ended up liking Urbana a bit better for work commute reasons - and because the high school stood out. I've also heard that Oakdale High's discounted and free lunches have been jumping up quickly as a proportion of the total student body (higher than Urbana) and am puzzled because it's mostly upper middle class, at least in the neighborhoods that we looked. Urbana has an IB high school program (which is competitive but all students in Frederick County can test into/have access to) whereas Oakdale (with Walkersville possibly) has been at the forefront in establishing a dual enrollment program with the local community college enabling students to take college classes while in Oakdale to receive college credit. Other high schools allow their students to commute to the community college for certain classes (they take them at a discounted rate), but this is more of a hassle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Where his shop used to be, now they are selling medical marijuana, this way the High school kids don't have to go far to get High........

Damn, i must be under a rock. I didnt realize the coin shop was broken into and is now a medical marijuana shop!

OP. Where do you live now?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I think that Middletown and Oakdale High also have academic strengths (as does Walkersville, TJ, and Tuscorara), and of the bunch, I'd consider Middletown next because of the older houses with bigger yards. I like the vibe of the area, and there's a convenient local shooting/hunting club nearby in Myersville.

Agree with you on Middletown. I wish I had done more looking in that area back in 2011.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Howard county I think is better than Frederick, and Frederick is better than Montgomery, and Montgomery is better than ...

Overall I think Virginia across the river from Frederick is very tempting: Here is what $829,000 will get you, its about 20 min from Frederick, and 15 minutes from Leesburg, also there is another property with 30 acres for even less (taxes are ~$5500):
    https://www.redfin.com/VA/Leesburg/42064-Black-Walnut-Ln-20176/home/14368952

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I live in New Windsor. But Frederick county side of Sams creek. We love it. Kids go to Libertytown elementary, new market middle and Linganore high. Far enough from the riff Raff to be able to see satellites fly over at night and can still be at a good restaurant in 25-30min.

Plus I hunt the 500 acre farm across the street

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom