Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I can't read this thread title without thinking of this. :D

th

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I decided to go with these guys since they close to my office and they seem pretty legit. First lesson is tonight!

Awesome. You will not be disappointed. I am very good friends with the owner and my son has been going for a few years. They run a great place

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I decided to go with these guys since they close to my office and they seem pretty legit. First lesson is tonight!

"Seems pretty legit"; famous last words. :D

I've trained with many of the schools in the area and haven't been to a "bad" one yet. Of course, I know what to look for and that helps. Many of the schools listed here are legit.

I prefer the one-stop shops and they all seem to be moving in that direction as I like striking and ground-work... I used to train at two locations at once (Muay Thai & BJJ) and it sucked. So, beginners might want to make sure they can train in the full spectrum to get a good understanding of fight dynamics. The small schools are more to my liking, but they're typically limited in their schedule. So, I am forced to look at bigger schools to accommodate my family's time requirements. The big schools aren't bad, but I just like training in smaller groups.

Lately, I have been intrigued with adding techniques from Geoff Thompson, Lee Morrison, and Kelly McCann.

All very pedestrian, then you dropped some names. Nice! :thumbsup:

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Awesome. You will not be disappointed. I am very good friends with the owner and my son has been going for a few years. They run a great place

Anything Gracie Affiliated is legit. Make sure you get plenty of time rolling live. Yuu can drill all day, but if you dont apply it you will never get good. Have fun.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Class was fun, but I am surprised how expensive the monthly fees are. But I think I'll try it for a year.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    We want to start our 5 year old, but $200 a month is prohibitive.
    My daughter goes 3 days a week to Soldierfit in Columbia for less than $100 per month. It's either $69 or $89 per month. Can't remember the exact amount right now. They have other locations as well. Not sure how close you are to any of them.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    We want to start our 5 year old, but $200 a month is prohibitive.

Holy crap, I assumed kids would be cheaper. I gotta tell you I was really jazzed to take it, but the price has sort of turned me off a little. I think I'll give it a shot though. They did say they'd waive the initiation fee if I sign up after next class, which I'm sure they offer everyone.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    The $200 is for two classes a week. I like the place and it's close to home, but it's a lot of money.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My daughter goes 3 days a week to Soldierfit in Columbia for less than $100 per month. It's either $69 or $89 per month. Can't remember the exact amount right now. They have other locations as well. Not sure how close you are to any of them.

That sounds like fitness fighting. I'm guessing no one who goes there competes in BBJ or anything like that.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That sounds like fitness fighting. I'm guessing no one who goes there competes in BBJ or anything like that.
    Incorrect, many of the adults do compete. This pricing is for the kids. I am not sure about adult pricing. My daughter is not yet 8 years old.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I really want to try out Shaddock in the Eldersburg area.

Gracie MD has a Finksburg location.

Shaddock, I'm told, is a joke. I'm not in the industry and could care less but I've heard quite a few things from many different people about that place and the pedigree of instruction

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Holy crap, I assumed kids would be cheaper. I gotta tell you I was really jazzed to take it, but the price has sort of turned me off a little. I think I'll give it a shot though. They did say they'd waive the initiation fee if I sign up after next class, which I'm sure they offer everyone.

Glad you liked it. I agree it isnt cheap but its a clean, top notch facility with great instruction and great atmosphere

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A good example of why it's helpful to know some Jiu Jitsu. A simple rear naked choke safely ended this potentially dangerous situation:

[YT]hT-CrJvDEkU[/YT]

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The $200 is for two classes a week. I like the place and it's close to home, but it's a lot of money.

Conquest has a couple children's programs. The striking I took range from about $150/month for a 6 month contract to $115/month for 2 years. 12 month was something around $124. For that, you can go every day the class is offered, so 5 or 6 depending on the class.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Ever since MMA (read: UFC) reached mainstream popularity, prices at gyms have gone way up. Not knocking all the commercial endeavors of the Gracie family, but they definitely upcharge for the brand name. For upwards $200/mo you should probably be getting something like gym access and unlimited classes in at least BJJ, if not more. And probably have reputable instructors who regularly compete. I know the dollar doesn't go as far in Maryland as it does other places, but there's still plenty of options available. I strongly advise shopping around and taking classes at multiple schools before committing to a contract and significant expenses. This is a serious investment of time and money. You don't just buy the first car or house you see on the market, do you? Same for martial arts training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom