• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I just finished loading up 100 rnds on clips and wondered how they were loaded at the ammunition plant.
    Anyone have a film clip?
    They couldn't have factory workers manually doing the loading.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I would expect many, many were made during the war years and were used for years. Ammunition makers may have had some possibly and some may have been sent to overseas theaters for use. That doesn't include those for stripper clips for 1903 rifles as well.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    So did our GIs get loaded clips issued or just boxes of rounds they loaded themselves?
    And did they ever stop to pick up the used clips? Or just let them fall where they may?
    I know a ton about the war, but nothing about this.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    So did our GIs get loaded clips issued or just boxes of rounds they loaded themselves?
    And did they ever stop to pick up the used clips? Or just let them fall where they may?
    I know a ton about the war, but nothing about this.

All the Garand ammo I have seen came in bandoleers already in the enbloc.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House

My guess is "yes" to all of the above.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    This says about 500 of these loading machines were made in 1938 and 1939 fiscal years. I don't know how it was done during WWII though.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...nted-john-garand-patent-clip-loading-device-f

The article also stated that further purchase of the clip loaders was ceased after loaded clips became readily available from ammunition manufacturers. Garand was a government employee and rights to his patent would be held by the government meaning manufacturers making ammo for the government could use it fee free. I suspect that an automated version was used for large scale production. This would be similar to the difference between home (re)loading of cartridges versus factory.

What other small arms ammunition of WWII came pre-loaded in magazines?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Garand ammo usually comes in spam cans which hold 4 bandoleers of 6 clips each, for a total of 192 rounds per spam can. Alternatively, it comes in reusable ammo cans with hinged lids, same 4 bandoleers per can.

The bandoleers are made of cotton cloth, a long closed cloth tape or ribbon with six pockets holding one clip each. A cardboard insert on each pocket protects the cloth from the bullet tips. The same bandoleers would be issued with two 5 round stripper clips per pocket for the 1903 rifles.

Soldiers would drape the bandoleers over their shoulders, as many as they could.

The bandoleers like the clips and the brass cases were all one use, though they can be reused. I've probably got at least a hundred bandoleers with cardboards, as well as boxes of clips in my basement.

People used to sell them on the CMP forum, something like 4 bandoleers with 24 clips and cardboards, for $35 or $40, but that was a, while ago.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The article also stated that further purchase of the clip loaders was ceased after loaded clips became readily available from ammunition manufacturers. Garand was a government employee and rights to his patent would be held by the government meaning manufacturers making ammo for the government could use it fee free. I suspect that an automated version was used for large scale production. This would be similar to the difference between home (re)loading of cartridges versus factory.

What other small arms ammunition of WWII came pre-loaded in magazines?

Yeah, I knew ammo was delivered from the factory packed in whatever form desired, but I'm not sure what method they used to fill the clips. I haven't seen video or photos of the factories doing the loading.

The Army had an Ammunition Identification Code for each type of packaging for ammo (see link below), so you can see what carton or clip and what can or crate was used.

Garand ammo usually comes in spam cans which hold 4 bandoleers of 6 clips each, for a total of 192 rounds per spam can. Alternatively, it comes in reusable ammo cans with hinged lids, same 4 bandoleers per can.

The M20 spam cans of four bandoleers each didn't come around until 1948 and were meant to be a universal can that could be used for all calibers of small arms ammo. I don't believe packing four to a .30 cal MG can (like the M1 or later the M19, or M19A1) came about until postwar either. The M5 can was the first spam can to be introduced in 1943 specifically for .45 ACP. The other spam cans followed.

During WWII, bandoleers of .30/06 in en blocs would be packed 1344rd (28 bandoleers) to an M1917 wooden chest or 240rd (five bandoleers) to an M8 spam can, two of which would be packed in an M9 wooden crate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_munitions_by_supply_catalog_designation

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That makes sense because I always found it a frustratingly slow process to open those spam cans for a measly 4 bandoleers.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That makes sense because I always found it a frustratingly slow process to open those spam cans for a measly 4 bandoleers.

Four or five is a reasonable weight in a can to expect a infantryman to grab and move. The weight is similar to a 250rd belt in a can for a Browning MG, so they'd probably be used to it. The M1917 chest of 28 bandoleers isn't exactly a user friendly way to transport ammo on foot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The bandoleers are made of cotton cloth, a long closed cloth tape or ribbon with six pockets holding one clip each. A cardboard insert on each pocket protects the cloth from the bullet tips. The same bandoleers would be issued with two 5 round stripper clips per pocket for the 1903 rifles.

Soldiers would drape the bandoleers over their shoulders, as many as they could.

The bandoleers like the clips and the brass cases were all one use, though they can be reused. I've probably got at least a hundred bandoleers with cardboards, as well as boxes of clips in my basement.

People used to sell them on the CMP forum, something like 4 bandoleers with 24 clips and cardboards, for $35 or $40, but that was a, while ago.

They still sell them.

If you ever want to get rid of some bandoleers and cardboards, let my know. I would like to have a few.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Our club used to get M2 Ball from the DCM in .50 cal cans, with the rounds in the en bloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer and 384 rounds per can - 768 rounds per case.

We also got .30 cal cans of M2 Ball in clips, in bandoleers, 280 rounds per can, with 1120 rounds (4 cans) per sealed case.

This was all LC-68; LC-69 and LC-72.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom