• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You clean your 10/22?

I know, right?

Before I started shooting again after moving to Maryland, I had my 10/22 in a gun bag. It had been 1988 since I shot it last.

I got the gun in 1982, and never took out the bolt to clean.

Never gave me an issue, and in 2010 when I started shooting again, I just put some oil in there, and away I went.

I have since done full cleaning on it. But yeah.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    At Rimfire Central there are a couple of drilling jigs free for the members to use. Submit your name to the list and they will send it to you. The jigs have been to almost, if not every state, in the union.

mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    Never had that much trouble with any of them, although I did order a new Mk Hunter, the one with the single-button takedown, so I will be curious how it compares to the MkII and IIIs I've had.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Let's see you reassemble one of his Mark I , II, or III .22 pistols.

I did it once, back in 1984.

No joke. Those where the most common pistols brought into my shop for reassembly. Usually they came in to the shop in a plastic bag or a box along with the very frustrated owner saying I think I found most of the parts can you put it together?

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've been shooting my 10/22 for over 30 years and have never stripped it down for a detailed cleaning. I normally just clean the bore Hoppes, wipe everything down with a light coat of Remoil, and put it away for next time. It's been 100% reliable, never a hiccup, never a jam, and very accurate.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I liked my 10/22, but the 15-22s are soooooooooooo easy to clean. Hornady One Shot is a great cleaner for those of us who don't want to break down to clean all the time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This must be the first time on MDS I've ever found something easier than everyone else, apparently. I have no problems field stripping my 10/22 - it's a little slow because of needing to pull it out of the stock and keeping track of the pins, but I feel like everything more or less fits together like I would imagine it should.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    This must be the first time on MDS I've ever found something easier than everyone else, apparently. I have no problems field stripping my 10/22 - it's a little slow because of needing to pull it out of the stock and keeping track of the pins, but I feel like everything more or less fits together like I would imagine it should.

Taking it apart is easy. I do struggle sometimes to put the bolt back in with the spring and guide rod.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have had 10/22s in my life for 44 years. Except for the tricky bolt alignment with the charging handle. I haven't had any issues taking them apart and putting them back together . Only part that has been a little hit and miss for me is replacing the extractors .

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Did you contact Ruger? They may replace it for free. I`ve never had to, but I`ve heard from others that they have excellent warranties/customer service.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Once you do a 10/22 or a MkIII a few times it's easy. The hardest part with the 10/22 is getting the spring, guide rod, charging handle, and bolt back in the receiver. The hardest part about the MkIII is getting the hammer strut to go forward then rest backwards so it lines up with the hammer spring, especially if you have the mag safety installed. I don't disassemble the trigger groups in either of them but getting the sear and trigger back in a 10/22 can be a pain. I use the Remington dry lube on my 10/22 and MkIII it doesn't accumulate lead and carbon nearly as bad and they both function fine. Working over a rug instead of concrete helps when the springs go flying or parts drop out. Having back up parts is helpful as well.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The only problem I've had with a 10/22 was the factory miss bored the barrel hole and the rear sight didn't line up on my Appleseed edition. Sucked because it was a lower S/N example.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Never mind the long-running gag from Ruger that is the tear-down and reassembly of a 10/22. How about the factory bolt release? THAT is the prank, and you get to experience it a lot more often than the tear-down mystery ride.

That is why I replaced mine before I even shot it. :D

I haven't torn down or disassembled any of my 10/22s. I clean the bore, take a brush to the parts in the chamber, spray some lube and carry on. Amazingly I haven't had any issues.

If I ever have to tear down a 10/22, I'll just sell it and buy a new one and not clean it for 15 years again

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom