• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a Glock 31. The full size 357 sig. cool round in my opinion but anybody who owns one will agree the ammo isn’t cheap.

My wife’s department just switched to the gen 5 g17. I like it and it got me thinking I would like to have another full size 9mm of my own.

So rather than my g31 collecting dust I figure I’ll convert it to 9mm. Some say a conversion barrel and mags are all I need, others say 9mm extractor and ejector for reliability reasons.

Any of you all done this conversion? I’ve looked into the lone wolf and a few others as far as barrels. I definitely need to keep myself in check when it comes to trying to go all out on match grade this and that. I need to stick to my plan of just slinging some 147 grainers at steel on my home range, not trying to cut clover leafs at 50 yards. I tend to get out of hand trying to chase that kind of accuracy out of anything I start to put together.

I've not done a 357sig to 9 but I did convert a G23 to shoot 9mm instead of 40. At first I replaced just the barrel and mag...Extractor works just fine but the ejector was throwing brass into my face so I replaced it with the 9MM ejector and now it spits it about 3 Oclock..I haven't had any reliability issues. It's a Lone Wolf barrel, the mag and ejector are factory.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I love my g23 and I shoot it well. That will probably be next on my list to convert to 9. The Glock factory ejector and extractor are not expensive at all so I’m figuring I might as well just do it right.

I don’t plan on shooting the 115s but I’m wondering if lightening up the recoil spring may help too.

Funny you say the brass was hitting you in the head. My buddy bought a sig 1911(I don’t remember which one) and it would bounce brass right off the center of your four head. He sent it back to sig once and they said nothing was wrong with it.

45 brass could potentially dent your melon up pretty good so I know I shouldn’t have laughed at him when he shot it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I used to have conversion barrels and they work well, then I just started buying one of each ;)

If you ever want to try out a 31C/32C side by side with your 31 let me know. In the meantime if you want to treat yourself to some 357 see below.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I use a lone wolf 9mm barrel and glock 9mm mags in my g33 (.357 sig) and for the most part it works fine. LW instructs using at least 124 gr rds but i shoot it sometimes with the 115. Not 100% but probably 99.6%. Perfect for the range; can’t say i would carry the conversion.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as relatively inexpensive as glocks are, keep the g31 and buy another one you like. always a potential safety risk if you put the wrong ammo in the wrong barrel, plus just the potential of getting to the range only to find out you brought the wrong ammo/mags/barrel/etc.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    as relatively inexpensive as glocks are, keep the g31 and buy another one you like. always a potential safety risk if you put the wrong ammo in the wrong barrel, plus just the potential of getting to the range only to find out you brought the wrong ammo/mags/barrel/etc.

It’s true, I have my mags separated as well into various ammo cans 9/10/45 GAP/ACP/40/357/etc just because of that. I even keep my 45 ammo on opposite ends so I don’t grab the wrong type.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A conversion barrel and mags can be hit-or miss, adding the ejector housing and extractor will be mostly reliable, but limits the ability to swap between calibers as quick/easy. Only real practical conversion is between 40 and 357sig IMO, and even then, the point of having both calibers is debatable. A slide assm with the proper breech face and ejector housing will be a full conversion with factory reliability, but if you get to that point, you probably already wasted money on a conversion barrel. IMO the least expensive way to get factory reliability "converting" to 9mm would be to sell the 31 and buy a new 17 in the desired caliber.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    A conversion barrel and mags can be hit-or miss, adding the ejector housing and extractor will be mostly reliable, but limits the ability to swap between calibers as quick/easy. Only real practical conversion is between 40 and 357sig IMO, and even then, the point of having both calibers is debatable. A slide assm with the proper breech face and ejector housing will be a full conversion with factory reliability, but if you get to that point, you probably already wasted money on a conversion barrel. IMO the least expensive way to get factory reliability "converting" to 9mm would be to sell the 31 and buy a new 17 in the desired caliber.

Great point he could pick up a 22 barrel cheap and effectively have a round he could shoot for just a tad more than the 9mm. 40SW Market is in hospice.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Input may be OBE but here's mine.

I had bought 357 and 9mm conversion for my G35.i did buy G34 mags for use with the 9mm barrel. I had also already changed the extractor to one of the TiNi extractors from glock store. I have put about 1000 9mm through it with no fail to eject. Also put another 1000 or so 40 and 357 through it with no faults.

As far as accuracy, I use the alpha wolf barrels and the accuracy and grouping are equal to or better than my custom shop kimber.

This was just my experience with conversion barrels in a different frame so... *** grano salis

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I agree, conversions CAN be hit or miss, but I am lucky in that I have two good ones right now. I have a 9mm barrel for my G35 and one for my G32C, both work perfectly, both are KKM barrels and of course, Glock factory 19 or 17 magazines. Heck, I guess really I have three, as the first barrel I got for that G35 was a 357 Sig KKM barrel, and it has been great as well, .40, 357 Sig and 9mm, all in one platform. It also has Dawson Precision adjustable sights to support the possible changes in POI between calibers, but really, they aren't that significant.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I’m going to nexro this to see if anything has changed in the last 5 years. Is the lone wolf conversion barrel still the way to go for shooting 9mm in a G23?

I’ve also thought about a full slide and trigger group conversion, but that’s probably more expensive than just buying another Glock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom