• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok I have been going back on a coach gun for a while on options. I cant resist a good short double. While I love the "S" mart special in Evil dead hammers are a must for me. Also the ability to handle 2 3/4 modern loads is preferred.

Option 1. Buy a Norinco or a Baikal

Obviously this is the cheapest route in even though these guns are coarse but functional.

Option 2. Go upscale

Buy a Pedersoli etc made gun such as a Taylors. Could also buy a CZ both are priced comparably. Though the Wyatt "Earp" 1878 is sweet but virtually the same as the case hardened model that Taylors used to make and both are not easy to find and not cheap.

Option 3. Buy something old and have a smith chop it and mount a bead. This would seem viable and a little patina makes it look all the better.

What do you guys have, what do you recommend?

High end trap quality guns, while I love them and someday want a matched barrel set are respected, but this is a coach gun it should handle well and be durable.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Stevens 311. Available in all flavors except 28ga. Good solid utility gun. Have the barrels cut by a competent smith and you are good to go. You can find the gun for $250-300

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ive been thinking the same thing lately .

My conclusion is buy and old one with exposed hammers and have the barrels chopped . This is what I have planned :thumbsup:

I want one with some age to it that looks well used but can handle modern loads .

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I really like my 12ga Stoeger Coach Gun. My fiancee bought it for me a few years ago. I have run about 500-600rds through it with no issues except the bruise on my arm. Dont pull both triggers at once, lol. They usually run around $350 new.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I really like my 12ga Stoeger Coach Gun. My fiancee bought it for me a few years ago. I have run about 500-600rds through it with no issues except the bruise on my arm. Dont pull both triggers at once, lol. They usually run around $350 new.

Problem is I want hammers...............most of the good canidates are hammerless

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I have one of the old Rossi's, you can still find them used sometimes for a decent price.

10.jpg

Mine is just like this one, but with a old style leather sling.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    That is nice, but is it just a smoothed up Norinco or Baikal?

Nah, this is a different animal. Looks a little rough, but it looks to have a long receiver allowing it to open farther (load faster and easier) than most cheaper SXSs. Also looks like the hammers are set low and a bit to the rear to allow for easier and faster cocking. This is made in Radom, Poland, kinda the gun making area of Poland. Should be somewhat better built than the usual suspects.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I recent bought a stoeger from a member here and damn do I love it. As was stated don't shoot both barrels at the same time, anyone have a bandaid?

The hammers are sexy though!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom