• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I was doing clinical time at Children's Hospital for 3 weeks over the summer and we had to pay for parking in the garage. We were told there was parking off the hospital grounds but it was "park at your own risk".

$7 a day was worth it to get off and know my car wasn't towed, booted or broken into.

lol Childrens hospital is in a nice part of town and "park at your own risk" is BS. Between us, PG, MoCo, SPOs, and Howard, that strip is probably safer than the White House.

My wife trains MoCos EMTs at WHC and I have ZERO concern of her there.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    We do work at NIH and the police in there give us parking tickets working off our welding trucks , we just charge the contractor for them 75.00 each time . We leave the ticket in place all day and pay it . And that is fixing their own equipment , they still think they are making out and making money on that scam .

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Me and my brother went to HS in DC. We always park on the same street where there was no sign posted and it was free. One day, we got a ticket and saw a new sign posted next to our car, the cement was still fresh lol.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    All our DC projects have a parking line item in our overhead. Parking tickets in DC are inevitable so we have to charge for it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    lol Childrens hospital is in a nice part of town and "park at your own risk" is BS. Between us, PG, MoCo, SPOs, and Howard, that strip is probably safer than the White House.

My wife trains MoCos EMTs at WHC and I have ZERO concern of her there.

I think they meant more of a risk that some days you could park on both sides of the street and some days you couldn't, or there was a couple days where the cars couldn't be parked later than a certain time or something?

I'm pretty sure they meant park at the risk of getting a ticket, not physical harm.

Either way, the $7bucks a day was a bargain to me. I had a 4 hour round tip commute, on a good day. The last thing I wanted to have to deal with at the end of the day was a parking ticket or a towed vehicle.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We do work at NIH and the police in there give us parking tickets working off our welding trucks , we just charge the contractor for them 75.00 each time . We leave the ticket in place all day and pay it . And that is fixing their own equipment , they still think they are making out and making money on that scam .

This

All our DC projects have a parking line item in our overhead. Parking tickets in DC are inevitable so we have to charge for it.

And this.

When parking tix are built into the job parking is now suddenly stress free.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    That's one of the reasons I never, ever go into the District of Columbia unless I have no choice. Not even to drive through.

definitely not even to drive through. Driving through and about down there is a friggin nightmare. Their speed cameras are BS, also.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I worked in DC for over 10 years, the system is a racket to generate money via fines,tows and storage charges, more reason I moved south F@@k DC. If your on a government contract you pass the fines back to the people as additional charge backs on the work order, just a another scam.:sad20:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is how DC finally got their commuter tax. The parking scam and their redlight/speed camera scams. F them. Yet another reason to stay the F out of DC in case you needed another.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Today back downtown at same job. Paid for parking with the app.

Got a ticket for failure to display receipt in car.

It’s a friggin crime.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Today back downtown at same job. Paid for parking with the app.

Got a ticket for failure to display receipt in car.

It’s a friggin crime.

I cant imagine being a meter maid. I'd legitimately fear for my life.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Yes I just downloaded it this week. For years I kept $10 worth of quarters in my console or used my CC but now many areas downtown ONLY accept park mobile.

Contest the ticket. Send in Park Mobile receipt, it will get tossed. This has happened to me a few times, they always have adjudicated the error fairly. Even if you were at fault, contest the ticket. I don't have the source right now, but as of a few years ago, something around ~80% of contested DC parking tickets get dismissed.

Does DC have a lot of parking storm troopers? Yes. So does MoCo and Arlington Co; along with resident parking restrictions and the like. We'd all like to park wherever the fork we like for free. Supply vs. demand (and libs love any way to tax vehicles). Welcome to any metropolis. If you are going to roll the dice, expect to get pinched every once in awhile... This isn't really any different than going 78 mph down 50 every day and getting lit up by MSP twice a year.

P.S. The DC speed cameras, when they are actually working, are as incognito as the Good Year blimp (or just use Waze).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fact of life / inherent cost of doing business - In major urban areas , ain't no such thing as parking for free . DC is particularly bad in this regard , but is only a matter of degree with any big city .

Take cost of parking ticket, multiply by estimated chance of getting ticketed , and compare that number with going rate for off street commercial parking. Make your best big boy decision .

And as noted in this thread , is particularly irksome when vehicles are actually needed in proximity to a job site . Treat it like an inescapable piece of overhead , and include in calculations of bidding or accepting on ( your endeavors).

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    BIL used to work for Iron Mountain. They had a deal with DC where they would pay (on time) 50% face of any tickets their vehicles were issued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom