• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Prior to a couple months ago there were only three known 1920's dated Tikka M39's (all 1926). Then one popped up at gun show in Ohio and I got lucky thanks to a friend of mine out there. All Tikka M39's are cut down Tikka M91's that were selected some time after WWII for upgrading by the Finns. Most sources state a few thousand were converted, but after nearly a decade of collecting serial numbers I am quite positive that the total number is far lower than that, probably in the hundreds. Here are the total numbers collected thus far.

1926: 4
    1927: 0 (Fewer likely conversions due to heavy barrel stepped barrel production)
    1940: 12
    1941: 13
    1942: 27
    1943: 42

That is a total of 98 known examples out there. Assuming there are four unknown for every known example that gives a possible production run of about 500 barrels. The higher numbers for 1942 and 1943 are likely due to the better condition of barrels from those years after the war was over.

Here are some pictures of the 1926 that I recently acquired, as well as the 1940 that I already owned.

Attachments

• IMG_8764.jpg
      IMG_8764.jpg
      100.1 KB · Views: 443
    • IMG_8767.jpg
      IMG_8767.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 507
    • IMG_8768.jpg
      IMG_8768.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 466
    • IMG_8771.jpg
      IMG_8771.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 471
    • IMG_8769.jpg
      IMG_8769.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 456
    • IMG_8782.jpg
      IMG_8782.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 443
    • IMG_8783.jpg
      IMG_8783.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 476
    • IMG_8777.jpg
      IMG_8777.jpg
      37.7 KB · Views: 441

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Hello airborne. After reading this i looked at my m39s. One is a tikka 1943. It has the imperial eagle stamp. This is what you are mentioning with the very low production numbers? This may be anantique receiver. Can’t recall but have it written down. In a new post war stock.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats, abt!!! That was a great grab.
    I’ve never been keen on the post-war stuff, but I’m still a “target of opportunity” collector. Over the years, I’ve picked up two ‘43s for what was then - normal (pre-Classic) M39 prices.
    I say I’d probably jump at the chance for a 20’s example though :thumbsup:

Thank you for the write up and pictures!!

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Hello airborne. After reading this i looked at my m39s. One is a tikka 1943. It has the imperial eagle stamp. This is what you are mentioning with the very low production numbers? This may be anantique receiver. Can’t recall but have it written down. In a new post war stock.

Imperial marked receivers are much more commonly found on Tikka and VKT production than Sako (who seems to have scrupulously removed them). The marks do not have anything to do with the production figures, although some collectors like them. A Chatellerault eagle gaurentees an antique, the others are harder to judge the year of production.

Congrats, abt!!! That was a great grab.
    I’ve never been keen on the post-war stuff, but I’m still a “target of opportunity” collector. Over the years, I’ve picked up two ‘43s for what was then - normal (pre-Classic) M39 prices.
    I say I’d probably jump at the chance for a 20’s example though :thumbsup:

Thank you for the write up and pictures!!

Thank you. Happy to share and post some information. It will all get wrapped up in the book that I am writing on the subject. Prices have risen a bit, although they seem to have dipped lately. Do either of your 43's have hang tags?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Can’t you find the receiver date under the tang when u remove the stock?
    When i was in to these i bought a rifle that seemed to be more used than some of the not issued or arsenal refurbished rifles with post war stocks just to have. a shooter. Turned out to be a 45 sako with 95%+ blueing and a very good war time stock. A rare rifle, although its been estimated by one writter that only 95k 39s were ever made. How many millions of 91/30s were made?
    I kept the descriptions and prices from 11 years ago, and they are fun to revisit. Anyone remember pat clark from long island? She sold her supply to classic. Not togo down memory lane but i remember when classic was a dealer of mod 98s. You bought from written descriptions. The good old days.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Can’t you find the receiver date under the tang when u remove the stock?
    When i was in to these i bought a rifle that seemed to be more used than some of the not issued or arsenal refurbished rifles with post war stocks just to have. a shooter. Turned out to be a 45 sako with 95%+ blueing and a very good war time stock. A rare rifle, although its been estimated by one writter that only 95k 39s were ever made. How many millions of 91/30s were made?
    I kept the descriptions and prices from 11 years ago, and they are fun to revisit. Anyone remember pat clark from long island? She sold her supply to classic. Not togo down memory lane but i remember when classic was a dealer of mod 98s. You bought from written descriptions. The good old days.

Yes the receiver date will usually be located under the tang of the receiver. If its early (pre-1894) it won't have it but it will probably have a grease hole located towards the front left of the underside of the receiver. Total production of the M39, counting cut down M91 barrels, is likely right around 100k. Pat Burns is who I think you're referring to. She inherited Bill Burns collection and still sells on Gunbroker (only antiques) under the name of "milstuff". Bill Burns bought out Inter-Ordinance's M39's two decades ago and single-handedly created a niche market for them. Supposedly all the non-antiques were sold to Classic last year, although I had two out of the ten I bought from them turn out to be antiques. Personally I think Burns did some stock swapping and kept the best stocks on antiques for future sale.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Yes burns. I have her photo on acop yof her driver’s license. I came to the 39s near the right time and i should have bought more. ONe of the coolest is the 28/76 i bought from the tenn seller but i think they got atf busted after. I also like the B with plum barrel.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Yes the receiver date will usually be located under the tang of the receiver. If its early (pre-1894) it won't have it but it will probably have a grease hole locking screw located towards the front left of the underside of the receiver.

Fixed it for ya. No such thing as a grease hole :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom