• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The property looks pretty good in that the land seems relatively flat. However 5hrs from my current home just seems a bit too far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not bad. I wonder about the history. Id have a structural engineer check out that concrete pleasure resort.

Otherwise if you want it buy it. There are not many places you can get for $1500 per acre. Everything else can be resolved with effort.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you'd like to talk to me about that area, I have first hand knowledge.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Are mineral rights included? If not the owner of the mineral rights could come in at any time and take over and screw the surface land owner.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Are mineral rights included? If not the owner of the mineral rights could come in at any time and take over and screw the surface land owner.

Mineral rights are included in Monroe County.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I wonder how much water that spring puts out? and is their any creeks as well? If their is when you could make your own Hydro Power depending on how much water their is and or if that spring puts out a good amount of water that might be able to be used for a power source as well. It looks like their is power running thru already but it would be better to make your own power that way you are not dependent on the power company. If you have the mineral rights as well and their is natural gas their then that could be used to power a couple of Natural Gas generators also. That does seem to be one heck of a deal and if a bunch of us got together it would make a great getaway and of one of us lived on the land to be a warden so to speak or get to know your neighbors and let them keep an eye on it as well that would work also. If I had the $$$ I would go in on it...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's got power, and a spring. No septic that I can tell. Seems like there's a portable outhouse (bucket system) tent set up inside in the pictures, my guess is that it goes outside when in use. Septic wouldn't be too hard to put there, outhouse would be even easier.

My only concern is the selective timbering you can see on Google Earth that is just to the NW of the property. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but every 15-20 years you're going to be dealing with a month or two of saw noise and truck traffic.

I don't see any creeks on the property itself. There are some just across the line, but it's in an area where a cistern system is feasible with the natural spring. When I lived in Slatyfork, my cabin had a spring that fed directly into a massive cistern in the basement that we used for water. 4 adults and 2 kids in the house and we never ran low, let alone dry. It's not a bad price, but you can get more acreage for slightly less in other areas. Monroe Co. is beautiful though, and less densely populated than most in WV, so it's a great location for some P&Q.

MykR0k

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 13, 2020
    After looking at more properties than I can shake a stick at, I'm totally convinced a bunker is not the best option for situations beyond a fallout or storm shelter. This property is great, the bunker, not so much.

You have no defensive perimeter with a bunker like this. No overlapping fields of fire and basically you are at the mercy of anyone on the outside and there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you have air, water, septic, heat, food, etc. etc. all self contained (very expensive) and capable for a long stay, bunkers are coffins IMO.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    After looking at more properties than I can shake a stick at, I'm totally convinced a bunker is not the best option for situations beyond a fallout or storm shelter. This property is great, the bunker, not so much.

You have no defensive perimeter with a bunker like this. No overlapping fields of fire and basically you are at the mercy of anyone on the outside and there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you have air, water, septic, heat, food, etc. etc. all self contained (very expensive) and capable for a long stay, bunkers are coffins IMO.

This was likely built during the Cold War as a bug-out bunker. It's up on a mountain top with a spring for a water source. There's not enough earth over the top to protect from munitions. And the location suggests that it was someone's "If I survive the initial strike, I'm heading here to wait things out" plan. The location up high means that you're clear of the heavier fallout sooner and don't have to worry as much about accumulation through hydraulic action down the road as your'e not pulling water from a drainage source (stream, river, etc) where washed-down radionuclides can collect and concentrate. It's highly doubtful that it was ever meant to be a "fortress" that would survive attack by roving bands of post-societal bandits.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The first thing I would do if I was looking for private locations is post it here ;)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    LOL, I was posting it more as a tongue-in-cheek thing due to the existence of the bunker than anything. I'm looking further north myself. ;)

For me I’d want it somewhere more easily accessible. I’m also of the mindset that “we”
    cannot keep running and hiding until we find ourselves in a ghetto/camp waiting for our fate to be met out. You want my guns? Come and get them.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Otherwise if you want it buy it. There are not many places you can get for $1500 per acre. Everything else can be resolved with effort.

The market for dirt is quite efficient. The price typically reflects pretty well what you can do with it. Timber, tillable, hay, minerals vs. mountaintop recreational land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom