Thread: Walmart ammo?
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:25 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliroger View Post
I walk in every time I am near one, and occasionally I get lucky and get two boxes of whatever 22 LR they have, they also usually will have some shotgun ammo as well. Good thing with Walmart is that they have not jacked up the prices, which is very odd and leads me to think that everyone else that does have ammo and is charging high prices is scalping us!(
Yes, to a degree. But the manufacturers have had 1-2 price increases (depending on the manufacturer) largely to do labor cost increases (lots of over time shifts to keep up) and raw materials cost increases. So manufacturer prices are generally up between 20-40% depending on the ammo in question.

Many retailers are of course at or above those markups from 2 years ago, but those prices are generally coming down. A place like Walmart where ammo is like .005% of their revenue can easily take a hit for selling at or below cost. A place where it might be 1-5% of revenue and had a hard time getting supply might need some markup to retain profitability. A place that might have 20-100% of their revenue being ammo sales related and where supply has been hit or miss for them might need significant markups to retain profitability.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote