• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am outspoken advocate for rimfire pistols - Both for learning fundamentals yourself , as pure fun , and for introducing others .

My most recent is a 1964 vintage , unconverted 1st Gen Bearcat, and 2013 strategy included a 3screw Single Six and a New Mdl Stainless Single Six .

Additionally, I am outspoken fan of dual cylinder.22WMR with full length bbls.

A few years ago I looked hard a the Heritage rimfires, at their then going price . And frankly they were rough enough that I decided was better to continue search for suitable shooter grade Single Six.

But that was then , this is now . Heritage rimfires are stupid affordable now . Today at both Gym Ratz , and GLR Enterprises ( gun and hunting store in Charlotte Hall "Amish " Market , open weekends ) they have selections of lr only, and dual cylinder Heritage for $129-179 . This is screaming value. Even worst case scenario you desire a trigger job , that's still a screaming value.

If you aren't already rimfire pistol equipped, or want to branch out to SA revolver thereof , you should look at one of thesem

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I am outspoken advocate for rimfire pistols - Both for learning fundamentals yourself , as pure fun , and for introducing others .

My most recent is a 1964 vintage , unconverted 1st Gen Bearcat, and 2013 strategy included a 3screw Single Six and a New Mdl Stainless Single Six .

Additionally, I am outspoken fan of dual cylinder.22WMR with full length bbls.

A few years ago I looked hard a the Heritage rimfires, at their then going price . And frankly they were rough enough that I decided was better to continue search for suitable shooter grade Single Six.

But that was then , this is now . Heritage rimfires are stupid affordable now . Today at both Gym Ratz , and GLR Enterprises ( gun and hunting store in Charlotte Hall "Amish " Market , open weekends ) they have selections of lr only, and dual cylinder Heritage for $129-179 . This is screaming value. Even worst case scenario you desire a trigger job , that's still a screaming value.

If you aren't already rimfire pistol equipped, or want to branch out to SA revolver thereof , you should look at one of thesem

GLR would approve of this message

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    Heritage

I have a Heritage Rough Rider single action in interchangeable .22LR/.22 Mag. I've had it well over a decade. The ONLY issue I've ever had is one screw coming loose from time to time due to cocking the hammer. Just keep an eye on it. Other than that, I would buy another one for plinking and such.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Like my Rough Rider too even though kind of a pia to unload/load. I suggest spending a couple more bucks and get the 9 round cylinder.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Have Gun Will Travel.

#MeToo :innocent0 ... I :heart: my Heritage Rough Rider and fire it mostly with the .22 mag cylinder.

I picked up a black western rig from Cabelas bargain bin that looks real nice strapped down with black grips and the embossed silver chess piece that I added.

I'm also looking to get a Henry small game carbine in .22 Mag with a matching black scabbard as a complement.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I picked up this Heritage 4-3/4 barrel combo version from Dan at BBP a few years back! Very fun gun and is quite accurate. Wicked little SOB with the 22mags!

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
      IMG_0456.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 558

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re Post #4 - You had actual issues with load/ unload ?.Or just commentary upon SA Revolvers generally ?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Like my Rough Rider too even though kind of a pia to unload/load.

Re Post #4 - You had actual issues with load/ unload ?.Or just commentary upon SA Revolvers generally ?

Only thing I have to compare it to is my s&w 686. Flip out the cylinder, knock out all spent casings with one push, grab a few rounds out of the box, insert bullets, flip up cylinder, done, easy peezy.

Rough Rider you have to open the cylinder cover, expel a spent casing, insert round, then spin the cylinder one hole, push out next spent casing, insert round, repeat 8 times, close cover. Also, and maybe it's just mine being a little sloppy, but the cylinder can spin just a touch too far and you don't know it until you try to push out a spent casing and it gets snagged.

I'm also not a big fan of the fact that you have to have the RR half cocked in order to spin the cylinder. It's just too easy to forget to engage the safety before loading and you could easily screw up trying to uncock it and accidentally fire off a round.

Synopsis:
    686 - flip out cylinder, expel spent rounds, load, flip up cylinder = EASY

RR - engage safety, open loading port, expel (maybe getting hung up) and load one round at a time, close loading port, disengage safety = PIA with possibility of accidental/negligent discharge

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its no Colt but as said above dirt cheap and good shooters. I you have an HQL buy a couple when they come up for sale.

Generally I prefer H&R 999's but that's a matter of operational preference.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah ! That's 99% the inherent nature of traditional SA Revolvers . ( The partial exception being New Model Rugers , which have no half or quarter cock position , and the cylinder will rotate upon opening the loading gate . Still .22 is smaller dia than big bores, and less margin of error for aligning the ejector rod .)

Personally I never bother with the awkard safeties on traditional ( half cock, etc) SA , instead having a uniform manual of arms the way God and Sam Colt intended . Load one, skip one, load 4 more , bring to full cock, and lower the hammer upon the empty chamber .

But hey , they make different styles of revolvers because people have different preferences. To me the loading/ unloading is a small trade off for the other advantages of SA revolvers , but if someone else has higher priority for the simultaneous ejection and simultaneous loading of a swing out cylinder, that's perfectly valid .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By all means if you are in the Charlotte Hall area on the weekends, stop by GLR Enterprises, and see my friend Gary Roberts and his lovely wife for friendly and helpful service . ( And if a Saturday also visit the music store and leatherworker at the Market.)

MDS favorite Gym Ratz is about 5min away , likewise with friendly helpful service.

Both are MSI supporters, and pro 2A .

They overlap on these Heritage revolvers , but in general only have maybe 10% overlap of merchandise .

Gym Ratz is well known for the MSR's , and the latest pistols , with modest amount of used and consignment . GLR has about half used at any moment , more emphasis on traditional goodness . Gary steadily gets in interesting vintage guns, and always new things for me to drool over. GLR also has full selection of ammo , and hunting, fishing, and camping gear.

If I go to one of these fine establishments, I try to visit both .

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Personally I never bother with the awkard safeties on traditional ( half cock, etc) SA , instead having a uniform manual of arms the way God and Sam Colt intended . Load one, skip one, load 4 more , bring to full cock, and lower the hammer upon the empty chamber .

So you turn your six shooter into a 5 ? That sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom