• ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I think you meant to post Nov 26th...
    Arrrgggh...
    Thank you.

...I’m studying for AE but it sure is a lot harder than Tech/General. Right now I’m scoring 65-67% on practice tests so I’m still a bit away from feeling confident. However a lot can happen in 2 weeks so you might see me there.
    Good, hope so!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just watched a quick video showing the features of the FT-1000d. Wow. I don’t think thats in my league at this time. The display on that radio is amazing.

My stretch goal is the 991a. It’s really the max I can budget right now and I think it’s still portable enough to take camping should I want to.

It is an amazing rig.

I had some buddies over and we ran field day out of my house with 3x HF rigs and some 2m, 440, 6m, and 220 also.

I was telling the guys to listen under the edges of a loud station. They could not figure out what I was telling them to do. So we swapped rigs. And I found out, they couldn't do it. The quad conversion receiver is amazing.

I did my WAC, WAS, DXCC, and WPX in one year. With a Cushcraft R-5 vertical as my primary antenna.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It is an amazing rig.

I had some buddies over and we ran field day out of my house with 3x HF rigs and some 2m, 440, 6m, and 220 also.

I was telling the guys to listen under the edges of a loud station. They could not figure out what I was telling them to do. So we swapped rigs. And I found out, they couldn't do it. The quad conversion receiver is amazing.

I did my WAC, WAS, DXCC, and WPX in one year. With a Cushcraft R-5 vertical as my primary antenna.

Thanks for the info. If you ever do another field day, I would be interested in joining. Sounds cool.

I just now finished modifying my new 991A to add the Panadapter mod. I’m an OK board tech but it’s just hobby skills so there was a real chance I could have fried my new radio. Thankfully carefully planning and a lot of online help from the mod’s creator kept that from happening. No smoke or sparks.

https://youtu.be/M6seNCzsvkg

Still have some more work to do but the first live test was a success.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks for the info. If you ever do another field day, I would be interested in joining. Sounds cool.

I just now finished modifying my new 991A to add the Panadapter mod. I’m an OK board tech but it’s just hobby skills so there was a real chance I could have fried my new radio. Thankfully carefully planning and a lot of online help from the mod’s creator kept that from happening. No smoke or sparks.

https://youtu.be/M6seNCzsvkg

Still have some more work to do but the first live test was a success.

Very cool.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally my roofing guys finished my roof and installed my VHF/UHF antenna. I still have my radio all torn apart but so I can’t get on the air yet, but I’m looking forward to.

Looks a little crooked but there is no way I’m climbing up there to adjust it and they didn’t charge me to put it up so it is staying like this.

4fe6847cd0366365b3f985d21fc62f95.jpg

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Finally my roofing guys finished my roof and installed my VHF/UHF antenna. I still have my radio all torn apart but so I can’t get on the air yet, but I’m looking forward to.

Looks a little crooked but there is no way I’m climbing up there to adjust it and they didn’t charge me to put it up so it is staying like this.

4fe6847cd0366365b3f985d21fc62f95.jpg

Cool! What is it?

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    So I'm scanning the dial today on 20 meters & happen to hear a guy calling CQ on 14.313 for a propagation report. He's coming in strong so I answer him. Turns out he's in Victoria BC, so I give a signal report, trade a little small talk, & sign off. Immediately afterwards I hear a guy saying "go away moron" & a few other invectives. I'm kinda on the ball today, so I look the guy up on QRZ & Google his name. Well, seems as if he has quite the reputation, going back many years as a felon, crook, child abuser, & general ne'er do well. There are also quite a few videos on YouTube concerning this guy, as he stays strictly on that frequency & it's easy to find by looking for 14.313. His call is VE7KFM, if you guys are so inclined. It's really wierd what you find on the radio.

That's odd since the Ham Radio community (like carry permit holders) tends to be much more law-abiding than the general populace.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Unfortunately, there are some troublemakers that tend to congregate on particular frequencies. 14.313 MHz on the 20 Meter band in the day time is one of them although it is not as bad as years ago. Another one is 7.200 MHz on the 40 Meter band also during the day time. Best thing to do is go find another frequency to make a contact.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Now you've got me hung up between the 2, wondering if the Comet is worth the extra $100

I’m not sure but I can say that the build quality of the Diamond seemed to be very good. Did you compare the technical specs? I’m wondering what makes it more expensive too.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I am following this thread with that sickening sense of inevitability that comes with knowing another interesting, not-inexpensive time-crushing pursuit is about to get its claws into me. Darn you all to heck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom