• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The only real pro 2A bill that I remember passing lately was the one that eliminated the shell casing law. And I think the only reason that passed was even the dems realized it was a completely useless waste of money

Was also part of Lawn Chair Larry's crusade against taxes and minor fees IIRC

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Which bill was that? The AW ban? The mag cap? CCW? FFL for long guns? HQL? Which one was it that was pro-2A?

2014 - removal of the fired shell casing requirement for handgun sales
    2015 - removal of requirement for fingerprints to renew W&C permit.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Those don't seem like wins to me...

So you going to bitch about small, "irrelevant" wins, to get our rights back, when that is exactly how we have lost them, one insignificant law at a time??

Call me when you put in time in Annapolis every year, and not just typing on a forum.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's one thing I've been suspecting - that chipping away at the W&C permit will just weaken our case in the supreme court long term. The Dems are winning in the short term, but sometime in the next five years we'll have a chance to kill it entirely in court.

Chipping away, in legislation is exactly how we lost our rights over 40+ years here in Maryland. Now everyone wants them all back in one motion....and they want someone else to do the work (not referring to you). The bottom line is, the work needs to be put in at every level and the insignificant bills need to be fought for like hell for pro-2A item, and fought against like hell for those that infringe further. It isn't glamorous, it doesn't make headway in any significant manner, but it works. It was proven back in 2014 and 2015, and everyone bitched about them. Chipping away at the laws is how we get them back in the legislature, while we wait for cases to work their way through the courts. And unless a bill nullifies a case (i.e. NY) then minor changes in a law that benefit us, while cases work their way through the courts have no real baring on the case since the initial court cas is what sets the arguments.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's one thing I've been suspecting - that chipping away at the W&C permit will just weaken our case in the supreme court long term. The Dems are winning in the short term, but sometime in the next five years we'll have a chance to kill it entirely in court.

Hasn’t happened yet. I haven’t seen any cases thrown out because it got weakened a tiny bit through the legislative process.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Chipping away, in legislation is exactly how we lost our rights over 40+ years here in Maryland. Now everyone wants them all back in one motion....and they want someone else to do the work (not referring to you). The bottom line is, the work needs to be put in at every level and the insignificant bills need to be fought for like hell for pro-2A item, and fought against like hell for those that infringe further. It isn't glamorous, it doesn't make headway in any significant manner, but it works. It was proven back in 2014 and 2015, and everyone bitched about them. Chipping away at the laws is how we get them back in the legislature, while we wait for cases to work their way through the courts. And unless a bill nullifies a case (i.e. NY) then minor changes in a law that benefit us, while cases work their way through the courts have no real baring on the case since the initial court cas is what sets the arguments.

Exactly. Great points

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Hasn’t happened yet. I haven’t seen any cases thrown out because it got weakened a tiny bit through the legislative process.
    Good points guys, totally agree. Just speculating. We really shouldn't depend on the courts anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good points guys, totally agree. Just speculating. We really shouldn't depend on the courts anyway.

Exactly. That's why I'll take even tiny wins. It would have been nice if the W&C bill that allows training AFTER approval would have been really nice. Not shocked the house didn't move it. I am kind of surprised it passed the senate and by as much as it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom