• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    omg mds'ers, just answer the friggin' question (if you really know the answer) or move on to another thread.

TDS

Sep 17, 2013
    omg mds'ers, just answer the friggin' question (if you really know the answer) or move on to another thread.

Somebody actually answered several comments ago.

It appears to be legal to 3D print firearms, which is what I suspected but I wanted more opinions. I can't be the only one seeking more info on the topic and it certainly can't hurt to create more discussion. Might help someone down the road who stumbles across this thread.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I understand. 2A supporters do need to promote a positive image to the public. However, I don't see the harm in discussing a relevant political topic. I'm obviously not asking anyone to break the law. We shouldn't be afraid to share our thoughts.

Welcome to MDS , where jumping to conclusions are the favorite past time .

My first time here was worst then your first post , they thought i was a O'Smelly spy . :D and that kept me away for a year before I came back as welder516 .

So the way I am figuring we are mellowing out a bit .
    I realize your handle was a luck or by chance but kinda funny as well . ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Somebody actually answered several comments ago.

It appears to be legal to 3D print firearms, which is what I suspected but I wanted more opinions. I can't be the only one seeking more info on the topic and it certainly can't hurt to create more discussion. Might help someone down the road who stumbles across this thread.

Second opinion....they’re legal. The are highly likely to be outlawed next session. #WWNC

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My concern would be strength and longevity. Polymer has not been a great material for AR receivers. I'm betting ABS wouldn't be any better. Unless you've got one of those newer "metal printing" machines, of course. That might work.

TDS

Sep 17, 2013
    My concern would be strength and longevity. Polymer has not been a great material for AR receivers. I'm betting ABS wouldn't be any better. Unless you've got one of those newer "metal printing" machines, of course. That might work.

True but people have tested them and they can work. And tech will continue to improve as time goes on. Also, I think 22lr conversions are more likely to work because they don't put as much stress on the lower receiver.

TDS

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to MDS , where jumping to conclusions are the favorite past time .

My first time here was worst then your first post , they thought i was a O'Smelly spy . :D and that kept me away for a year before I came back as welder516 .

So the way I am figuring we are mellowing out a bit .
    I realize your handle was a luck or by chance but kinda funny as well . ;)

Thank you. Now I'm curious, what was your first post?

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Does anyone know the legality of 3D printed lower receivers? Specifically ar15 lowers. I’ve seen conflicting information online and was hoping someone might have more knowledge on the topic. Thanks!

You don't need to 3D print them, you can buy AR15 ghost gun receivers at gun shows or on the internet. If you desperately want/need a gun you can go buy one for cash in Baltimore City or any other urban area or go to the next gun show. Guns laws are for law abiding citizens. The market flourishes outside of the gun laws and they are joke to the people who don't care.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    You forgot

You don't need to 3D print them, you can buy AR15 ghost gun receivers at gun shows or on the internet. If you desperately want/need a gun you can go buy one for cash in Baltimore City or any other urban area or go to the next gun show. Guns laws are for law abiding citizens. The market flourishes outside of the gun laws and they are joke to the people who don't care.

Baltimore city the place where you can purchase under the age of 21

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    As much as some would like everyone to believe, 3D printing takes learning, patience, and a bit of skill. It's not just, "Oh, I need to print another receiver today. Clicking 'print' button now."

TDS

Sep 17, 2013

I’m aware that traditional lowers are more practical. However, I think the tech behind 3D printing shows promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom