• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    After following the thread on lubricating an AR15 it got me thinking about handguns. The Glock 17 in particular but all semis in general. Everything I've seen says to lube the bcg on an ar15 with grease but everything I've seen regarding the G17 says to use oil on all parts.

So my question is, at least on the slide rails, what would be wrong with using grease instead of oil ? It seems to me it should be as good or better and would last longer than oil.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Chances are good to excellent that you'd never notice the difference, but a number of firearm owners use grease on slide rails and the like (high friction areas) and are happy with the results. More is less with grease.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Chances are good to excellent that you'd never notice the difference, but a number of firearm owners use grease on slide rails and the like (high friction areas) and are happy with the results. More is less with grease.

Thanks. My only real reason for wanting to go with grease was that it would be easier to apply the appropriate amount and thinking if I put on too much maybe it wouldn't be oozing out like oil does.

Do you mean "less is more" ? As in a little grease goes a long way ?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree with Boondock. Oil is better because it seeps into places better, less likely to freeze in cold weather, and less messy.

This is one of those "beat to death" topics, but I don't mind. My recommendation is any run of the mill CLP. I also trust Clandestines advice in this and believe he uses synthetic Mobil 1, for general lube.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I agree with Boondock. Oil is better because it seeps into places better, less likely to freeze in cold weather, and less messy.

This is one of those "beat to death" topics, but I don't mind. My recommendation is any run of the mill CLP. I also trust Clandestines advice in this and believe he uses synthetic Mobil 1, for general lube.

Okay. So you think something like Hoppe's #9 is better than grease ?

And only reason I bring up Hoppes again is because I have a bunch of it. If something like synthetic Mobil 1 is just as good it would be much more economical once my Hoppe's is used up.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Okay. So for cleaning I use Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner. I'm getting it now, that's the C. But for lube I use the lubricating oil like in the picture. I always thought that was good enough as oil is a natural P. Please correct me if need be. I seem to be a little slow on this issue but I'm trying. At least I got the AR all lubed up properly for the Delmarva trip :)

Attachments

• Hoppes.jpg
      Hoppes.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 573

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, this is best to death. For my ARs, i use Hoppes bore cleaner and bore snake for the bore, spray CLP in the lower and use a compressor to blow it out, spray CLP in the upper and clean out with a rag and chamber brush, and lightly lube every moving part. I throw a few drops lube down the bore and follow with one last swipe using a Hoppes bore snake. Pretty simple.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I use a light coating of grease (either Milcomm TW25 or Mobil 1 Synthetic, usually the Milcomm) on the slide rails of all of my semi automatic handguns. Oil for trigger pins, any other small areas that need lube.
    Grease stays in place a little better than oil. I have a 4 oz. tube of the TW25 and it will probably last me a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    After following the thread on lubricating an AR15 it got me thinking about handguns. The Glock 17 in particular but all semis in general. Everything I've seen says to lube the bcg on an ar15 with grease but everything I've seen regarding the G17 says to use oil on all parts.

Not sure where you're seeing lube all parts on a G17 at but this is what I got from Glock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 489

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know sig recommends grease.
    Grease is used sparingly on some internals. My agency armorers never had us grease slide/rails. I have hundreds of thousands of rounds on two P229s over 15 years. I find it funny the rituals people believe in on lubing pistols. Slather any crap on the rails/slide and shoot.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Grease is used sparingly on some internals. My agency armorers never had us grease slide/rails. I have hundreds of thousands of rounds on two P229s over 15 years. I find it funny the rituals people believe in on lubing pistols. Slather any crap on the rails/slide and shoot.

We do tend to want to over complicate things

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom