• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    For about the last 6 months I have been using Mobile One (synthetic ) motor oil and synthetic bearing grease on my rifles as a replacement for the more expensive Tetra Products gun oil and grease. I started doing this after reading some posts on this board. In my subjective opinion they seem to work just fine as lubricants. I was wondering thought how Mobile One or other synthetic motor oils hold up as protection against corrosion. Also I read on another forum that there are certain chemicals in motor oil that are not good to come in contact with your skin because they may be cancer causing. I don't know if regular gun oils or cleaners contain these chemicals or not. Does anybody know more about this subject than I do?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think it is used motor oil that is carcinogenic. Someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.......

I use Castrol Syntec on some of my guns, but that is what I use in my car. I think it works fine.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    most cleaners have safety notice on them... if you ask me.. everything now a days cause cancers..

but if you are that concerned about it.. wear gloves.. ;)

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    The air we breathe causes Cancer Big Brother wants us to live in fear remember Irene! I think your safe with mobil 1 as long as you don't bathe in it

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    In my thirty some years of caring for my guns I've never worn any kind of gloves when cleaning or oiling them. I actually like the smell Hoppes leaves on your skin. I must admit however that motor smells pretty bad.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In my thirty some years of caring for my guns I've never worn any kind of gloves when cleaning or oiling them. I actually like the smell Hoppes leaves on your skin. I must admit however that motor smells pretty bad.

Makes for a great personal lubricant too!

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I was thinking about doing a test to see what products are the best corrosion protectors. I am going to sand down some mild steel plates and apply Tetra gun oil, Break Free, and Mobile One on to each of three of the plates and leave one plate completely unprotected. I am then going to place them in my damp garage and see which steel plates show signs of rust the fastest.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I was thinking about doing a test to see what products are the best corrosion protectors. I am going to sand down some mild steel plates and apply Tetra gun oil, Break Free, and Mobile One on to each of three of the plates and leave one plate completely unprotected. I am then going to place them in my damp garage and see which steel plates show signs of rust the fastest.

somebody already done it.. just cant remember the title of the thread..

edit.. found it.. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56033&highlight=oil+test

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can add some Breakfree to the Syn Motor Oil to beef up internal corrosion protection. I do this to ensure any displaces moisture dont rust my internals.

Motor oil is safe if its virgin. Its used motor oil that can carry carcinogens.

The outside of my guns get sprayed with Birchwood Casey Barricade to cut down on corrosion.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    motor oil is best used during shooting as a lubricant. It blows nutsack for corrosion resistance. It's made to suspend water in it. In an engine, where the oil can suspend the water and then carry it away as it's continously circulated, that's a good thing. In a gun where the oil with suspended water is just sitting there against your gun parts....it's not such a good thing. It's good as a lubricant because it's consistent through a fairly wide temperature range and because it has detergents in it that help migrate carbon away from metal to keep things running.

Gun-speciffic oils like breakfree clp or just plain old LP would be better for corrosion resistance if your plan is to oil the gun and keep it for the ready in a home defense-type situation. the breakfree will prevent corrosion better and still act pretty decent as a lube. Eezox would be better as a corrosion inhibitor, but maybe not as good as a lubricant.

Save the motor oil for if you've got time to apply it before shooting. After shooting, clean, degrease, and then put fresh breakfree or eezox on it for storage.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Any opinions on Boeshield T-9. I still have a can of that product that I purchased years ago but never tried it.

It's thick, waxy and clings very well.
    Superior as a preservative, not quite as lubricious as I would like.
    I use it for storage. Some of the best salt water resistance you'll find in a commercial product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom