• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A buddy when with them last year crappy results. Lots of driving around, few pigs...

Well that’s bad news! The lispy daughter dropping the sales pitch was so sweet and the experience seemed amazing!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Soooo. Damn nice set up. Great weapon imo.

Not a pro hog hunter here but have been a time or two. Having said that, my observation is your rig will be perfect for “the big one” (first shot). IMHO, the length will be problematic on follow up shots once the sounder breaks. I’d prefer a shorter rig. Once the sounder breaks, it’s kinda like a video game for follow up shots. Lots of movement in various, unpredictable directions and various speeds. Follow up shots are a challenge.

Good luck!!
    I think you’re right. I was watching some YouTube videos . Once the first shot is fired. It becomes a big CF with targets going into multiple directions.

A lighter kicking , shorter and suppressed rifle may be more suited for that.

I may switch to an AR and have the 308 as backup.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I like the setup! My hog rig is a PTR32 (7.62x39), Pulsar XP50 Trail thermal and AAC SDN6 can. Heading to Georgia in two weeks for a good time.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. A big pig/hogzilla takes some killing.

The argument for or against speed and mass in your ammo ensues. ENSOOOOOEY. (Couldn’t resist)

There will be the 5.56 advocates here. Then the 308 advocates. (Let’s leave out the plethora of others)

Hogs are tough beasts. Their physiology/anatomy is very unlike a deer. It deserves a little research before going afield. It’s my opinion that a decent sized hog (say 150# or more) deserves a .30 cal or better and 120 gr or better round.

Even if I was leaving the AOR after hunting, I wouldn’t want to leave a wounded animal for several reasons. I’d rather drop them. DRT.

Soooo, my point. IMHO, I’d use an AK or AR10 if I wanted to be efficacious. If you hunted with somebody else, you might have one with an AR15 and a plan to bust the sounder (first shot same time) and the larger caliber follow the bigger hogs and the smaller caliber busting the smaller ones. My own experience was three hunters in what we affectionately called a Death Star...shoulder to shoulder, one higher and Others lower and all slightly angled. Sounds FDup but works really well if you don’t have knuckleheads. Then who hunts with known knuckleheads.

Anyhow, don’t abandon your plan just based on my experience. See what other folks have had success with.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    It’s near four oaks , nc
    We'll need a post hunt review, please.
    A buddy and I have been looking at guides in that area. He hunted in SC a few weeks ago and they took 3, largest being 250-300lbs.
    He was using a FLIR setup on his 300 Blackout at night and it worked well. All head shots resulted in a very short track, if at all.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My buddy and I will be hunting as a pair.
    The plan is. I use a thermal to identify targets. Use a heavier caliber for the longer shots.

He uses an AR 15/ suppressed for closer targets and for when things get scrambled . Which will require quick follow up shots. He’s using an electronic night vision optic which has a very limited range.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The custom adapter can in. Woohoo.

aac suppressor 762Sd

Attachments

• A8127E9D-7194-49C4-9F3E-CBC4E3196D0B.jpg
      A8127E9D-7194-49C4-9F3E-CBC4E3196D0B.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 203

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I think you’re right. I was watching some YouTube videos . Once the first shot is fired. It becomes a big CF with targets going into multiple directions.

A lighter kicking , shorter and suppressed rifle may be more suited for that.

I may switch to an AR and have the 308 as backup.

I use a suppressed 300 blackout AR-15 on pigs with a good copper solid Barnes or Hornady. I have a leupold and night vision scope both on quick detach ADM mounts and it works like a champ.

What outfitter are you going with? We had one stand us up down there last year.

Mattitude

Jan 31, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    I've killed literally a ton of hogs with a 300 Blackout, my biggest was a 515lb sow. For night vision I use an Armasight CO-MR clip on.

oRwww8o

I shot this one the day after I dropped my big sow, this boar was right at 350lbs and dropped in his tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom