• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Regarding availability of ammo for these odd calibers, I decided when I first got my FFL 03 I would only get guns that shoot readily available ammo. Makes life much easier

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    Masada Tactical had 6.5 Carcano PPU ammo $40/box 20
    Expensive cause that is the ONLY place I"ve seen any in months.
    I reload so I don't need it but just passing it along. PPU only makes the lower moving ammo periodically so don't count on stock levels changing much.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    For what it's worth, started going to gun shows again this year, my primary ones of York, Gettysburg, sometimes Lebanon. I always look at the C & R guns and still see P-64s, CZ-82s, various Tokarevs, lousy looking Carcanos for $160, SKS's, Mosins, and others. The bigger shows often have a vendor who specializes in collectibles in great shape, at prices out of my range. I'm especially happy when I find the 13 rounds mags for the CZ-82

Point is, I still see all this stuff. Condition and prices may be all over the place but the guns are there. Not like 6-8 years ago but they can be found.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Well, owing a big fat tax bill has certainly tempered my spending. I'm also coming to the belated realization that I should be stocking up on ammo instead of hunting for more rifles.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm also coming to the belated realization that I should be stocking up on ammo instead of hunting for more rifles.

Ammo, definitely. But also spare parts and proprietary tools, especially for stuff that might be orphaned if new Federal laws force lower-volume or financially weak vendors out of business.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Well, owing a big fat tax bill has certainly tempered my spending. I'm also coming to the belated realization that I should be stocking up on ammo instead of hunting for more rifles.

I stock up on ammo, hand load shoot the hell out some guns for a awhile then move on to the next set of what's fun for guns. Build, buy collect then get interested in something else.
    I mostly try to keep it UK and North America outside of some Jap stuff every now and then again.
    I sold off a lot of European stuff years ago just to streamline the process except for the ones I built into hunting rifles.
    All the while picking up ammo, reloading etc to support the last thing I was in to at the time.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I think I'm OK for tools. The guns I own are very simple and came with whatever specialty tools are unique to them. I also bought a gunsmith torque screwdriver. I have a fair array of standard tools.

If I ever finish an AR, I'll need more specialized tools, I suppose.

I really don't have the space for reloading. I'll see if I can make space in the garage for that.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I think I'm OK for tools. The guns I own are very simple and came with whatever specialty tools are unique to them. I also bought a gunsmith torque screwdriver. I have a fair array of standard tools.

If I ever finish an AR, I'll need more specialized tools, I suppose.

I really don't have the space for reloading. I'll see if I can make space in the garage for that.

All the major retailers sell kits for building ARs, when I bought mine they weren’t bad in price. IMO I think you could probably get away with just the vise blocks and armored wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/diy-how-build-compact-reloading-bench/

You're welcome.

I run two of these using the HF knock-off workmates. Just know it's best to trash the skimpy soda-can cross-braces on the legs and replace them with heavier gauge aluminum welder's stock flats like you can get for cheap at the hardware store. One is set up with my metallic cartridge reloading stuff. The other has my Lee Load-All II on it for shotshells. They fold up and store in the closet in the workshop when I'm not actively loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom