• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The November Numbers Are In

3,626,335 for November the largest November on record, over a million more checks than last year. The forth highest month in the 22 year history of NICS.

It looks like the total for the year will top 39 million and we could top 40 if there was enough stock to meet the demand.

Total so far this year 35,758,249 just shy of the total number of checks made during the first 5 years of the program.

The raw data is here if you are interested: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Its interesting being in a couple gun shops lately how some are wiped out then went into one and it had what I thought was plenty of inventory.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I'm amazed so many people have spare bucks to buy firearms.

I hear that said a lot from my coworkers.

The same ones who smoke a pack a day.
    The same ones who go to wendys, mcdonalds ect every single day.
    The same ones that probably spend $50+ at the booze store every friday.
    The same ones who choose to drive a gas guzzler as their commuting car.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I hear that said a lot from my coworkers.

The same ones who smoke a pack a day.
    The same ones who go to wendys, mcdonalds ect every single day.
    The same ones that probably spend $50+ at the booze store every friday.
    The same ones who choose to drive a gas guzzler as their commuting car.
    I've managed to add to my accumulation a fair bit over the last couple of years. My wife has a saying:

If you think it's important you'll find a way, otherwise you'll find an excuse.

It was surprising how fast my gun fund grew when I was making a point to put money in it and limit my other spending.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The wife of a friend would describe his priorities...when she wanted something he would say "Let me work some overtime and we'll save up to buy it."

When he wanted a new gun it was "I'll buy it then work some overtime to pay it back."

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sorry I am tardy with my reporting but life got in the way.

The numbers for December 2020 continued the upward trend setting a new all time high for the month, for the year and for a one month total since the inception of the NICS check system, there were a total of 3,937,066 background checks. This makes the total for all of 2020 a record year of 39,695,315 checks. The total for last year is greater than the first 5 years of the program combined.

We also have the total for the month of January 2021 which is another new record at 4,317,804 checks. It looks like Sleepy Joe may be a better gun salesman than O'Bummer was. If this had been the total in December we would have topped 40 million background checks in one year.

If this keeps up it may be quite a while before ammo prices/availability return to normal. We know anecdotally from gun shop employees that there are a lot of new gun owners included in these numbers so they will be wanting to increase their ammunition inventory. Hopefully they will also work to support the God given and Constitutionally guaranteed rights to keep and bare arms.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    What cracks me up about these gun sales numbers, is that plenty of Progs are out there buying their first guns because they think that Trump supporters about about to kick off the Big Party. I heard that they're surprised and complaining about how difficult the administrative process is, and how annoying the waiting period is.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    What cracks me up about these gun sales numbers, is that plenty of Progs are out there buying their first guns because they think that Trump supporters about about to kick off the Big Party. I heard that they're surprised and complaining about how difficult the administrative process is, and how annoying the waiting period is.

Sucks when the effects of what you vote for effect you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010

I am worried these liberal types will take their guns and shoot others. These people are mentally unbalanced and a threat to others.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I think eventually there's going to be a lot of unused "used" firearms on the market and the gun makers will see a big drop in orders due to that.

Maybe, but a lot of them will also sit forgotten in nightstand drawers for years and end up becoming parts of estates. The market only gets depressed if lots of them go up for sale at the same time.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I'd bet on an uptick of MSP/ATF visits because of "weed card" violations as well.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    Is anyone surprised at that number for Dec and Jan. I bet if there were more inventory the number would be higher. Most of the shops I have stopped in say they can not keep any on the shelf. Bidden is by far a better gun salesman then Obama.

Is anyone surprised at that number for Dec and Jan. I bet if there were more inventory the number would be higher. Most of the shops I have stopped in say they can not keep any on the shelf. Bidden is by far a better gun salesman then Obama.

This is how I explain it to customers (PT employee at Masada Tactical)... A year ago, a gun shop would call their distributors and say "I want A, B, C and 1, 2, 3". Now gun shops call their distributors and ask "What do you have in stock?"

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Prices aren’t high enough to prevent people from shooting. With all the new shooters just shooting (and not stocking up) and existing shooters (stocking up, regardless of them saying they aren’t) it’ll be a good long while before supply and demand for ammo balance out. When existing shooters get excited about 9mm for .50-.60 and it sells out within seconds we’re a good long ways away from the good old days.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This is how I explain it to customers (PT employee at Masada Tactical)... A year ago, a gun shop would call their distributors and say "I want A, B, C and 1, 2, 3". Now gun shops call their distributors and ask "What do you have in stock?"

What percentage of first time or not typical gun buyer are you seeing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom