• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I bought a Colt American Legion 1911 years ago, a BEAUTIFUL dark blued, gold accents, trigger, hammer safety, gold engraved, had the owners name, years served, he was an MP engraved, gold filled, from BBP. Dan told me owner passed, and family didn't aant gun around. This OBVIOUSLY was special to the owner. Even if I HATED guns, I would have taken it somewhere, told them make it inoperable, and kept it if it were my fathers, grand fathers ect.
    I considered sending it to Colt, they were going to remove the owners engraving for a decent price, then I thought, NOPE I'll leave it the way it was when he passed. Its Still in my safe

Pics would be nice :).

Someday his kids or grandkids might feel differently. It would be cool if it made it back into the family some day.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When my Father in Law died and later when My Father died I made sure that each of my kids got one of their guns, nine of the cousins are interested in guns so it worked out. Now they each have a gun to remember their Grandfathers with. My son actually got a couple of my Father's guns, the M1 and Springfield Armory 1911A1 are his favorites

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Just grabbed a Gen5 G19 today. While I was filling out paperwork I heard one of the shop guys answer multiple phone calls and saying something like 'nope, we dont have any G19s either and we dont know when we will get more.' GOT IT! :lol2:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've reached out to a number of shops the last two days looking for a particular gun and found that across the board defensive shotguns are basically non-existent save for some high end stuff. Internet dealers are pretty much the same. A couple people now have said that both Mossberg and Remington may be backordered 100k plus guns. Crazy. I guess all the first time owners go for a shotgun.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I've reached out to a number of shops the last two days looking for a particular gun and found that across the board defensive shotguns are basically non-existent save for some high end stuff. Internet dealers are pretty much the same. A couple people now have said that both Mossberg and Remington may be backordered 100k plus guns. Crazy. I guess all the first time owners go for a shotgun.

I will admit that I called 3 shops before this one before I found one. And then it took me 3 hours to get there due to other errands. I was certain it would be gone but I lucked out. I am also pleasantly surprised that it fits all my existing holsters too. Now I just need to decided what sights to put on it.

I got it from Loudoun Guns in Leesburg (I live nearby) and it took maybe 10 min from the time I walked in to the time I got back in the car. They were really busy for midday on a Friday thats for sure!

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I guess all the first time owners go for a shotgun.

From the first timers I have sold to, most actually came in looking for a handgun.

But once the reality of MD handgun purchasing requirements hit them in the face like a dead mackerel, they asked what could they purchase without the wait. Given the choice between a AR and shotgun, the shotgun was chosen.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The other side has already developed an argument on this: it is the same handful of people buying firearms. They will simply say, as they have been saing all along as gun sales increased in the past, that there are less gun owners every year, but that a small fraction of them are building arsenals.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    The number of possible firearms in the US = every one ever made here + every one ever imported +
    ghost guns.
    One of my 45's (from my father) was made in 1919, his M1903A3 in 1943.
    But if I am ever polled about firearms, I own none.
    The truth is, no one knows how many firearms exist or how many people own them.
    You can't measure the unknown with any error estimate. There is no way to estimate
    how many people own firearms. Saying that X% of families had firearms 10 years ago
    but only Y% own them now is impossible, especially since (probably) more people simply
    will not answer any questions correctly.
    And, I don't own any firearms, regardless of any previous statement to the contrary.

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    348 million checks, and the estimate is there are 400 million guns in the country? I own dozens of pre-NICS firearms.

I've seen estimates from years ago of upwards of 800 million firearms in the country. The lower estimates we see published are really those the government knows about.

I’d bet 800 million is getting closer.

I'd say it's a lot higher and keep in mind that not all NICS checks run are for a single firearm. I've done transfers for as many as 8 at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom