I'm ready for bow season.

Attachments

• distance.jpg
      distance.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 426

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I have a 3x9 variable scope on my Mossy 500 sluggun. It will hold minute of pie plate out to 200 yards, but I limit myself to 100yds for deer for the reasons stated above.

Took a 7 point at 79 yards (per rangefinder) one shot kill.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I have been researching for a scope but lots of people seem to think that scopes don't work on shotguns because of to much kick, do you have a link for yours?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a 3x9 variable scope on my Mossy 500 sluggun. It will hold minute of pie plate out to 200 yards, but I limit myself to 100yds for deer for the reasons stated above.

Took a 7 point at 79 yards (per rangefinder) one shot kill.

Rifles barrel and sabotted bullets?

More curious than anything. IIRC the ballistics on the federal truball (which I use, the 1oz 1600fps ones) if zeroed for 100yds it has dropped something like 3” at 125 and 7” by 150. At 200 it’s dropped like 20+” and is only moving at like 1000fps.

Sabotted bullets on the other hand zeroed for 100 might only drop 4-5” at 200 and still be >1500fps.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have been researching for a scope but lots of people seem to think that scopes don't work on shotguns because of to much kick, do you have a link for yours?
    I don't have quick access to it to get specifics, but it is a fairly inexpensive rifle scope on a side mount. Take out the pins that hold the trigger group and replace them with the bolts for the mount. The mount takes standard rings. It doesn't get much abuse, usually about two to three boxes of Remington 1oz. Sluggers a year, but I've never had any issues due to recoil. Check it over good, make sure the hardware is tight, throw a box down range to make sure it's holding minute of pie plate @ 100 yds......

I know they make "shotgun" scopes, but that wasn't a thing when I switched this gun over to a slug barrel. I've had my Browning Special Sporting Clays for 30 years....and this gun went to slugs way before that.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Rifles barrel and sabotted bullets?

More curious than anything. IIRC the ballistics on the federal truball (which I use, the 1oz 1600fps ones) if zeroed for 100yds it has dropped something like 3” at 125 and 7” by 150. At 200 it’s dropped like 20+” and is only moving at like 1000fps.

Sabotted bullets on the other hand zeroed for 100 might only drop 4-5” at 200 and still be >1500fps.

Montgomery Ward Westernfield Pump (Mossberg 500 clone)

Mossberg smoothbore 24" barrel.

Remington 1oz. sluggers

Those ballistics sound about right.... took a box or two to get back on the pie plate at 200, but they still held a good group. But, I would NEVER try a deer over 100.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA

For shotguns scopes I've had success with leopold's vxI, vxII, vxIII, vx-r, vortex diamondback, Nikon slughunter, even a cheapy simmons pro-diamond.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    A little hard to come across now, but you can sometimes find them out of state in a used gun rack, the H&R ultra slug heavy barrel in 20 or 12, shooting sabot rounds. I also use an Ithaca Deerslayer 3 heavy barrel in 20 gauge. One of my favorite shotguns. It has a Leupold mounted to the receiver. I have dropped deer at 140 with that gun, but ya know, we cant use rifles.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Are orphaned fawns ok on their own this early? I know by archery season they are fine but this seems kinda early.

Yup they are perfectly fine right now. I've hunted this property since the early 2000's. We get the permits earlier in the year but don't start till around now so the little ones have a chance.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Hello ladies! Hoping this buck makes it through the season to grow another year. Trying to build up my "herd."

Attachments

• 20190804_185801.jpg
      20190804_185801.jpg
      108.9 KB · Views: 433
    • 20190804_190119.jpg
      20190804_190119.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 422

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wish I could have gotten a picture of this deer, but we had a few bucks show up last evening. There was one that really stood out. Not for size of its rack or body mass but for a damaged antler. The deer had a decent 4 point left antler, but the right antler looked to be about 4-5 inches tall and it had stickers shooting out in all directions. At first I thought it had broken off the right antler, but I was able to get a better look and it looked weird. There were at least 6-8 stickers on that right side. Never seen anything like it.

Anyone have an idea as to why???

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I wish I could have gotten a picture of this deer, but we had a few bucks show up last evening. There was one that really stood out. Not for size of its rack or body mass but for a damaged antler. The deer had a decent 4 point left antler, but the right antler looked to be about 4-5 inches tall and it had stickers shooting out in all directions. At first I thought it had broken off the right antler, but I was able to get a better look and it looked weird. There were at least 6-8 stickers on that right side. Never seen anything like it.

Anyone have an idea as to why???

I would imagine an old injury of some sort,

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bad picture, but this guy I’ve seen a couple of times. Hopefully he makes it in to my sights this fall or winter. I’ll be keeping an eye out for him. Though probably I will “limit oi before he shows up. I’ve got so many deer running through my four and a half acres and only need so much venison plus friends to donate to.

He’s at the edge of my property there about 90yds from my house. I haven’t seen him in my other side yard where I could hunt or in the back yard down in the woods. Just out front, that side and in the neighbor’s yards. I am putting down a salt lick soon. See if I can encourage him in to the area I am hoping to hunt.

Attachments

• E3F444C6-8058-4524-A138-965B32155526.jpeg
      E3F444C6-8058-4524-A138-965B32155526.jpeg
      50.4 KB · Views: 364

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Bad picture, but this guy I’ve seen a couple of times. Hopefully he makes it in to my sights this fall or winter. I’ll be keeping an eye out for him. Though probably I will “limit oi before he shows up. I’ve got so many deer running through my four and a half acres and only need so much venison plus friends to donate to.

He’s at the edge of my property there about 90yds from my house. I haven’t seen him in my other side yard where I could hunt or in the back yard down in the woods. Just out front, that side and in the neighbor’s yards. I am putting down a salt lick soon. See if I can encourage him in to the area I am hoping to hunt.

Nice buck.....since it's a new property you'll have to see where they travel as the year progresses. Example, I see lots of bucks summer time through September or early October...after that just does for the rest of the year.

Hopefully yours stay around all year or you'll have to hunt bow hard.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice buck.....since it's a new property you'll have to see where they travel as the year progresses. Example, I see lots of bucks summer time through September or early October...after that just does for the rest of the year.

Hopefully yours stay around all year or you'll have to hunt bow hard.

Yup. So far the answer is EVERYWHERE. I can’t ID most of the deer, partly because there are so many.

So far I’ve seen two different spike bucks, a fork, a 6 point a 7 point and that big 8 point. Former owner claimed a 10-pt was sleeping behind his work truck this past fall, but I haven’t seen any sign of it, unless the 10-pt lost antlers and grew back as an 8, which seems odd to have happen.

At least a dozen different does and probably more. At least 5 different fawns and I think more. I’ve seen two sets of two, one set who are with Mom and another set that’s been with a herd who might be two singletons as the moms look smaller, so might be first babies for them. Another mom and Singleton fawn. However the two fawns and mom could be more than one set of fawns and mom.

On a few days I’ve counted at least 20 deer/deer encounters roaming through my woods and yard. Absolutely some are repeats headed through in the morning and back in the afternoon or wandering by multiple times throughout the day.

A few times I’ll get deer in my fenced back yard (4’ fence enclosing about a fifth of an acre). There I probably could just carefully open my porch slider and pop one. They seem human habituated enough they tend to not bolt immediately when they see a person reasonably close to them. Get within about 20yds and they’ll book. Further than that and they tend to freeze and look at you like they aren’t sure if you are going to come closer or wander off.

Other than that fenced backyard if I see one or more in there where I am probably going to hunt them is my other side yard where my chicken coop is. I’ve got about a quarter acre clearing between my front woods and backwoods next to my house and my neighbor’s fenced yard butts up to it. I talked to them again and they are still highly encouraging of me to hunt whatever I want. Including hunting it on their property and if it hops their fence “feel free to drag it out. Gate’s over there”. That means the deer would need to run at least 150yds just to get on to any other neighbors property and some good trees around the clearing to set up in. Deer tend to wander right through there from my backwoods to the front or vice versa. Also back in the woods along some deer paths (creek at the bottom of the hill at the very back of my property with three parallel deer trails spaced 20yds apart).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom