• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    Well, so far I have tried gun blue and rust remover from Birchwood & Casey and it would not remove most of it, so then came the bronze brush, well that got most, but still some spots that I cant get with the brush....... also tried carb cleaner(both kinds), brake cleaner, electrical parts cleaner, 409.....

I'm wondering if over cleaner may help? also is it safe for the springs inside?

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I used Zip paint remover let sit for a couple hours then brushed off with cleaning brush (heavy toothbrush) then repeated until clean of paint.then the important part ----drive to Corsica Coatings to have joe refinish with a Moly Resin in a black finish. then wait--dropped it off last Sat.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    I used Zip paint remover let sit for a couple hours then brushed off with cleaning brush (heavy toothbrush) then repeated until clean of paint.then the important part ----drive to Corsica Coatings to have joe refinish with a Moly Resin in a black finish. then wait--dropped it off last Sat.

Nope, no reblueing of this one, I ordered 2 when I bought them from SOG, one hand-pick the other non..... hand-pick looks never issued, and this one which had some muzzle damage and a very worn finish. I wanna do it in chrome or nickle plated and hopefully find some pearl grips even have some made if possible

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    navel jelly.

I hope you meant this:

navaljelly.jpg

And not this:

800px-Navel_lint_ball.jpg

EEEEEEEWWWWWW! :puke:

Sorry - I couldn't resist

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    where do I get NAVAL jelly?
    It's been years since I bought it - but I'd think any decent hardware store should stock it.

I believe it's made/distributed by Permatex (the Loctite folks) so maybe if the local hardware store doesn't have it, an auto parts store might.

Just on a side note - I'm not sure if it'll remove blued finish...
    The wikipedia article here says the way it removes rust is actually similar to blued/parkerized finish.
    But I have absolutely no experience using it for that - so if someone says they've done it - their experience should trump my google-fu...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom