• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Man, if for nothing else, I can't wait for SCOTUS to decide one way or another on this case, just because MDS' self-appointed constitutional lawyers have been particularly active this past week. Wading through pages of bickering and nit-picking is labor-intensive! :) 9:30 can't come fast enough!

+1000
    I just wish the Lawyers who want to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin would start their own thread and leave the case specific threads for things actually pertaining to the cases. That way we could still get our legal education and have uncluttered access to case information.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I believe the 2A was always about individuals.

If that's the case, then why did Heller have to explicitly hold that the right which is protected is an individual one?

Heller was specifically about disconnecting the right from the militia.

Yes, it certainly did that, to the point that the prefatory clause can now only be used to restrict the right further.

I can't tell you the specifics of when the court raises issues sua sponte. The Court tends not to raise issues by themselves, but it does happen. See Kolbe 4th circuit en banc raising an issue that was not really addressed. Normally you loose the ability to appeal an issue if you have not raised it at the initial trial. Miller is an example. The latest per curiam (Jenkins v Hutton) also talks to this issue.

My question isn't about the lower courts raising issues. It's about whether or not they're bound by Supreme Court precedent when said precedent isn't explicitly raised by either party.

Last edited:

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I am aware that many people here believe that the judges are the problem. I remember sitting in the court room waiting for the Court to grant the temporary restraining order in Kolbe. I was shocked to find out that it was denied. Once I did the research, I found that, while I disagree with the Courts decision in Kolbe (district level), it is not unreasonable given how courts decide cases. If you look at all the cases that I listed, you will find, with minor exceptions, they present essentially the same argument. SCOTUS has passed on all most all of them.

There are so many losses because the plaintiffs bring the same loosing argument and expect different results. SCOTUS is not going to be more deferential because they made the rules.

I am tired of loosing and am willing to debate anyone as to why in hopes to inform more people why there are so many losses.

I don't expect different results. But to think that we have lost because of the quality of the arguments, versus the fact that the judges are acting in bad faith is pure naivety.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    +1000
    I just wish the Lawyers who want to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin would start their own thread and leave the case specific threads for things actually pertaining to the cases. That way we could still get our legal education and have uncluttered access to case information.

Couldn't agree more.:sad20:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Does Peruta present a similar argument to the previous loses ? We may already have our answer then. Shew, I'll be in the reloading section. :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Does Peruta present a similar argument to the previous loses ? We may already have our answer then. Shew, I'll be in the reloading section. :)

I would argue the participant behavior is extraordinary in this case.

The state stepping in, after it vehemently denied that no state laws were/are affected.
    The en banc court went rogue, and answered a question that was not asked.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Before first amendment principles were firmly established, all sorts of censorship and government pressure was permitted. First amendment doctrine as we know it was not really developed until the late 1920s. I am sure that there were a lot of appellate losses over that period.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. There are so many losses currently primarily because 2nd Amendment law is really only in its infancy. What really matters at this point is the quality and persuasiveness of the dissents.

Do you listen to Andrew Klavan's podcast?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I have not..

He had on the lawyer that was instrumental in winning both the Pentagon Papers & the Citizens United cases @ SCOTUS. Forgive me I don't know what episode it was or I'd reference here.

Basically laid out the 1A jurisprudence and how it didn't develop until the 1900s; noting that w/ Lincoln suspending habeas corpus and other federal laws against disparaging war efforts during WW1, cases didn't proceed until the 20th century.

You old folks (tongue in cheek) were far better educated in school than us young-in'. Though, I'm guessing you didn't get that education in school much either and was adult personal continuing ed. Just a point of order/interest that I've heard that two times now in as many weeks.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    If that's the case, then why did Heller have to explicitly hold that the right which is protected is an individual one?

My question isn't about the lower courts raising issues. It's about whether or not they're bound by Supreme Court precedent when said precedent isn't explicitly raised by either party.

The prefatory clause causes some confusion as to whether it is an individual one or a collective one. The district court felt it was a collective right as did four of the justices. Explicitly holding that it is an individual one clarifies the issue.

I don't know the specific answer to the court question, but if neither party raises the issue, the only party left is the court raising the issue. This is why I answered the question the way I did.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Basically the same argument. Only difference now is Norman's ruling creating a split plus the unusual history of this case (en banc, state intervention,exc.).

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    The prefatory clause causes some confusion as to whether it is an individual one or a collective one. The district court felt it was a collective right as did four of the justices. Explicitly holding that it is an individual one clarifies the issue.

That's most certainly true. But if clarification was necessary at that point, then it means there was no definitive/consistent treatment of it as an individual right prior to that.

I don't know the specific answer to the court question, but if neither party raises the issue, the only party left is the court raising the issue. This is why I answered the question the way I did.

Hmm ... how might one go about discovering the answer?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Basically the same argument. Only difference now is Norman's ruling creating a split plus the unusual history of this case (en banc, state intervention,exc.).

Has Norman even filed for cert? Isn't getting close to the end of the window?

We may only have to wait until Thursday to find out either way.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Has Norman even filed for cert? Isn't getting close to the end of the window?

We may only have to wait until Thursday to find out either way.

Norman has another month I think. It got the clock stopped by asking the FL supremes for a rehearing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Norman has another month I think. It got the clock stopped by asking the FL supremes for a rehearing.

There is no incentive for the SCOTUS to wait for Norman then. We will most likely hear about Peruta either Thursday or Monday. I seriously doubt they will hold Peruta over the summer.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The only reason they would hold Peruta over the summer is if we are getting a PC opinion.

Just to reiterate the stats, Supreme Court tends to be light on grants until the last conference of June. The avg # grants the 4th conference is ~9, the avg number of grants per conference the 7 prior weeks is one or two.

I think that there are a number of cases that stand a decent (>40%) chance of being granted cert. We may get as many as 13 grants on Monday!

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

04/13/2017 DISP-REHEARING DY Petitioner's Amended Motion for Rehearing, Reconsideration and Clarification is hereby denied.

Yup,...looks like they have until July 13th.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD
    There is no incentive for the SCOTUS to wait for Norman then. We will most likely hear about Peruta either Thursday or Monday. I seriously doubt they will hold Peruta over the summer.

Why wouldn't the opportunity to combine Peruta and Norman be advantageous to SCOTUS? This would allow SCOTUS to address both Open Carry (Norman) and the G&S ruse in CA that is used to dissuade almost everyone from applying in the first place.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Why wouldn't the opportunity to combine Peruta and Norman be advantageous to SCOTUS? This would allow SCOTUS to address both Open Carry (Norman) and the G&S ruse in CA that is used to dissuade almost everyone from applying in the first place.

Norman has to petition the court first, which has not been done to date. As pointed out earlier in this thread they have until the middle of July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom