• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Skeet is unlike Sporting Clays , in that in Skeet there is no need to be switching chokes during a round , the same choke(s) will work straight thru . Skeet & Skeet , or Skeet 1 & Skeet 2 if you're going extravagant .

At the beginning of extended choke tubes , the motivation was to allow for a more gradually constriction, and a longer parallel section prior to the muzzle , in the interest of less pellet deformation, hopefully there by more consistent patterns . The Original Win Choke ( copied by many mfgs ) was indeed pretty short, resulting in comparitively abrupt tapering down . Most newer choke tube designs have a longer length ( inside the bbl) to reduce those issues .

But in the modern era , the question mainly comes down to : Looks Ugly vs Looks Cool .

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Skeet is unlike Sporting Clays , in that in Skeet there is no need to be switching chokes during a round , the same choke(s) will work straight thru . Skeet & Skeet , or Skeet 1 & Skeet 2 if you're going extravagant .

At the beginning of extended choke tubes , the motivation was to allow for a more gradually constriction, and a longer parallel section prior to the muzzle , in the interest of less pellet deformation, hopefully there by more consistent patterns . The Original Win Choke ( copied by many mfgs ) was indeed pretty short, resulting in comparitively abrupt tapering down . Most newer choke tube designs have a longer length ( inside the bbl) to reduce those issues .

But in the modern era , the question mainly comes down to : Looks Ugly vs Looks Cool .

I would actually advise against a Skeet 2 choke. Skeet 2 is an old designation. It’s the same as light modified. I’ve never heard of someone using a Skeet 2 (or light modified) choke in all my years of shooting Skeet (38+ years) who’s serious about Skeet.

If you don’t want to buy chokes and you have an improved cylinder or cylinder choke use that. Anything tighter than that and I would suggest buying Skeet chokes.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I would actually advise against a Skeet 2 choke. Skeet 2 is an old designation. It’s the same as light modified. I’ve never heard of someone using a Skeet 2 (or light modified) choke in all my years of shooting Skeet (38+ years) who’s serious about Skeet.

If you don’t want to buy chokes and you have an improved cylinder or cylinder choke use that. Anything tighter than that and I would suggest buying Skeet chokes.

38+years man i have some catching up to do. I need you on speed dial I'm Kidding :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rough Rules of thumb :

Skeet Choke = Same neighborhood aa Improved Cylinder , slightly on looser side, sometimes overlapping IC .

Skeet #1 = About midway between IC and Cylinder bore

Skeet #2 = About midway between IC and Modified

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    For skeet I use Trulock cylinder and skeet extended chokes with 1145 fps # 8 loads. Use the same chokes for sporting clays with 1200 fps # 8 shot, sometimes use Skeet and IC for longer shots and use 1200 fps 7.5 shot. You really need to pattern your gun(s) using different chokes and loads to figure out which does what.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I use Briley Extendeds for a couple of reasons....

Easy to change, usually without wrench. You always need a wrench for flush mounts.

Easy to identify the choke constriction. Don't have to remember how many slots are what choke. My Briley's are color coded and clearly marked on the visible portion. I carry Skeet, Imp. Cyl., Light Mod., Mod., and Imp. Mod., never really thought about a Full.

They pattern well.

....and as was mentioned, they do protect the muzzle if impacted.

For Skeet, I use a Skeet and a Improved Cylinder

P.S. I'm using them in Brownings... mostly a Special Sporting Clays, but also a Gold Fusion, and a Gold Hunter.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    For skeet I use Trulock cylinder and skeet extended chokes with 1145 fps # 8 loads. Use the same chokes for sporting clays with 1200 fps # 8 shot, sometimes use Skeet and IC for longer shots and use 1200 fps 7.5 shot. You really need to pattern your gun(s) using different chokes and loads to figure out which does what.

are range is #9 only im trying 1200 fps tomorrow I assume above are 1 oz maybe 1 1/8 oz

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I use Briley Extendeds for a couple of reasons....

Easy to change, usually without wrench. You always need a wrench for flush mounts.

Easy to identify the choke constriction. Don't have to remember how many slots are what choke. My Briley's are color coded and clearly marked on the visible portion. I carry Skeet, Imp. Cyl., Light Mod., Mod., and Imp. Mod., never really thought about a Full.

They pattern well.

....and as was mentioned, they do protect the muzzle if impacted.

For Skeet, I use a Skeet and a Improved Cylinder

P.S. I'm using them in Brownings... mostly a Special Sporting Clays, but also a Gold Fusion, and a Gold Hunter.

Improved cyl.on the bottom barrel i assume

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    are range is #9 only im trying 1200 fps tomorrow I assume above are 1 oz maybe 1 1/8 oz
    Wow, #9 only. Really limits where you can buy ammo!!! 9s aren't available everywhere.

Do you mind if I ask what range this is?

Most ranges are nothing larger than# 7 1/2...
    ...i.e. 7 1/2, 8, or 9s....

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Wow, #9 only. Really limits where you can buy ammo!!! 9s aren't available everywhere.

Do you mind if I ask what range this is?

Most ranges are nothing larger than# 7 1/2...
    ...i.e. 7 1/2, 8, or 9s....

Beginner hear but learning I have found some but really haven't looked that much yet. IP J2 sponsored Patriot Picket's last night after the meeting he opened the store back up and I found 1200FPS and 1350 FPS #p 7/8 and 1 oz.
    (sanner lake) they stock/sell #9 i think $ 8.per box

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Improved cyl.on the bottom barrel i assume
    Nope, for Skeet I put Skeet in the Bottom, IC in the Top. Always try to shoot bottom barrel first. Supposedly less barrel jump for quicker second shot, but I don't know that I overly buy that...(see below)

For Clays, I usually carry IC in the bottom and Lt. Mod. in the top. If I need to tighten up I replace the IC with Mod/ Imp Mod. and switch barrels. To lighten up I'll pop the LT. Mod and put in the Skeet and switch barrels.

This assumes that the closest target is presented first. I have shot plenty of stations were I shot the tighter barrel first, because the first target was long, and the second was in your face!!

This method allows me to only have to mess with changing one choke.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Beginner hear but learning I have found some but really haven't looked that much yet. IP J2 sponsored Patriot Picket's last night after the meeting he opened the store back up and I found 1200FPS and 1350 FPS #p 7/8 and 1 oz.

(sanner lake) they stock/sell #9 i think $ 8.per box

Long time since I was a Beginner!! Dad started me off when I was big enough to still be standing when I pulled the trigger!! I am 60 now, and a NRA Shotgun Instructor and National Sporting Clays Instructor.

I normally shoot 1 1/8 oz. #8 at 1150 - 1200 fps for everything. They are usually available just about everywhere.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Nope, for Skeet I put Skeet in the Bottom, IC in the Top. Always try to shoot bottom barrel first. Supposedly less barrel jump for quicker second shot, but I don't know that I overly buy that...(see below)

For Clays, I usually carry IC in the bottom and Lt. Mod. in the top. If I need to tighten up I replace the IC with Mod/ Imp Mod. and switch barrels. To lighten up I'll pop the LT. Mod and put in the Skeet and switch barrels.

This assumes that the closest target is presented first. I have shot plenty of stations were I shot the tighter barrel first, because the first target was long, and the second was in your face!!

This method allows me to only have to mess with changing one choke.

well i can tell i have a ways to catch up to your level. I'm not even thinking of multiple barrels yet. but im on my way

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    well i can tell i have a ways to catch up to your level. I'm not even thinking of multiple barrels yet. but im on my way
    No problem, thought when you were asking about the bottom barrel you were shooting an O/U.

While I mainy shoot a O/U for clay games, I do own and shoot pumps and semi's.... occassionally!!

Beginners are my thing.....I actually got my NRA Instructor ratings (Rifle and Shotgun) to be a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor. I've had my NSCA Level 1 Instructor for quite a while. I used to teach the Introduction to Shotgunning Class at PG Trap & Skeet.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    No problem, thought when you were asking about the bottom barrel you were shooting an O/U.

While I mainy shoot a O/U for clay games, I do own and shoot pumps and semi's.... occassionally!!

Beginners are my thing.....I actually got my NRA Instructor ratings (Rifle and Shotgun) to be a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor. I've had my NSCA Level 1 Instructor for quite a while. I used to teach the Introduction to Shotgunning Class at PG Trap & Skeet.

I was thinking your so into it your changing barrel lengths . yes i shoot a o,u 12 ga Beretta silver pigeon sport model 30 inch. I assure you im listening/reading Im working with a Gent that is our club go to person from what I'm told a no nonsense pay attention nice guy. The club is talking of starting a intro to skeet/shotgun class but not until March 2020

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I was thinking your so into it your changing barrel lengths . yes i shoot a o,u 12 ga Beretta silver pigeon sport model 30 inch. I assure you im listening/reading Im working with a Gent that is our club go to person from what I'm told a no nonsense pay attention nice guy. The club is talking of starting a intro to skeet/shotgun class but not until March 2020

Not barrel lengths, just matching chokes to target distance.

My O/U is 30" The rest are 28"... Interestingly, they are all close in overall length, due to the longer receiver on a pump/semi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom