• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    This is great

I have some cheap steel cased 9mm that a rented sig did not like.. however my friend's Canik ate it up .

Happy to meet anyone at a range and shoot the sh*t (no pun).. and validate the quality of my equipment.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You misspelled ‘moist’....
    . 019b07d6525eee6bc33a86671c8190d8.jpg

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I have an HA-15 from Hanover Armory. I got it spring this year. Around 300 or so rounds so far. I really like it. Red dot, magpul BUIS, BCM furniture, and ambi charging handle added since.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have some cheap steel cased 9mm that a rented sig did not like.. however my friend's Canik ate it up .

Happy to meet anyone at a range and shoot the sh*t (no pun).. and validate the quality of my equipment.

If you want to come to Bel Air, we can go over your AR. I’ll have to find my headspace gauges.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Lots of variables there... there's no way to know when the rented sig was last cleaned, what it was lubed with, if the recoil spring was due to be changed... etc.

Use it for a while, think about what you don't like ergonomically (or functionally) and then upgrade from there.
    Then think about what you might want cosmetically/bling wise if anything.

Also what you intend to do with it helps, short range/home defense? target shooting? "competition" shooting? "status symbol"? etc

I "upgrade" to ambidextrous controls (charging handle and safety) and usually change out the grip to a Magpul MOE or MOE+ one for comfort on my own personal ones.

IMO- This is the best suggestion in the thread.
    For me, the game changer upgrade was adding a LaRue MBT trigger. It was $75ish and made a world of difference.
    Be cautious about going to Teratos' shipping container. Some strange things (and some glorious things) have happened in there. Ask Outrider58 about the chloroform rag some time.

Thanks guys. Great advice.

Ill check out the Arlington Club. It is about an hour from me but I have some friends in Nova.

Right now I've just been getting used to shooting it with the irons.. i did run out of 5.56 though! I thought I struck gold at 6am the other day when it popped up on Cabelas for $429 /1k ... ordered it and two days later got the cancellation email. Now Im staring at $750 if I want 1k... hoping it changes post election?

As for upgrades, charging handle sticks out to me as it feels flimsy and it is small to grab quickly. Any reccomendations?

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. People are selling .223 ammo for much less than online pricing. It is expensive, but in our current climate, the price is pretty good.
    This is Wolf Gold, which is good brass cased ammo. It is not the crappy steel cased ammo people equate Wolf with.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=40898

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Thanks guys. Great advice.

Ill check out the Arlington Club. It is about an hour from me but I have some friends in Nova.

Greg9781 ARPC is actually located in Baltimore county, all of our events are held at the associated gun clubs of Baltimore.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I have built more than 15 AR pattern rifles, and every one of them is different.

What you put on it depends on YOU, and what you like, and also what you want to do with your gun.

I have some favorite add-ons that I recommend to my friends:

Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) for the hanguard;

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S trigger, if you want to upgrade a milspec trigger. ONLY $80 bucks instead of the $179 you will pay, on sale, for a Geissele trigger. LaRue also makes a single stage trigger if you prefer. Same price;

Bravo Company Medium or Large latch Charging Handle. Frequently can be had on Primary Arms for less than $40 bucks; and,

Sig Romeo 5 Red-Dot sight. Good guarantee, good performance, and can be had for $149 now on several sites. Romeo MSR if you want one for around $100, but I don't like it as much...

Send me a PM if you want to discuss any of this stuff.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020

I just joined Guntry.
    I can take you in. 25 and 100 yard range .
    Just let me know.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Last i heard they use BCA barrels(subpar quality) and a few other lower cost parts.
    If they are using BCA, PSA, or Anderson barrels, I'd flat-out return it. The barrel, gas block, and BCG are the heart of your AR's operating system. Using subpar parts for those is just a very poor idea for a gun you intend to keep for the long-term.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If they are using BCA, PSA, or Anderson barrels, I'd flat-out return it. The barrel, gas block, and BCG are the heart of your AR's operating system. Using subpar parts for those is just a very poor idea for a gun you intend to keep for the long-term.

Before I knew better I bought a complete rifle from Hanover Armory.

I ended up replacing nearly everything on it and now the HA billet lower is all I got left and it sits in my safe as a spare. The silver lining here is that this rifle caused me to dive deeply into the AR platform and was an excellent learning experience for me.

I REALLY want to love Hanover Armory, but as a few of the above posters have mentioned, they use a lot of low grade parts. I am 99% sure the barrel and BCG was a BCA. The barrel is unlined phosphate and the threads are confirmed non-concentric to the bore (ask me how I know...). The BCG is nitride and is actually OK. I threw a BCM bolt in the carrier for good measure and it runs in my wife's rifle now without issue.

The handguard was a UTG pro slim handrail...is fine I guess but is certainly nothing special. Replaced with a Midwest Industries Combat Rail.

The trigger sear surfaces also had a bur on it that would cause problems with the reset, but this was easily fixed...still not something you want to deal with..

I will say the upper to lower fit was excellent, the best i've seen without being too tight to field strip without tools. This is probably just good luck, though. The important parts, however, really did not add up to the $800 price I paid.

I've built many a finer AR for less and truly top tier rifles for not a whole lot more.

They do a lot of cerakoting in house, so the rifles sure do look great.

They do offer some of their rifles with nitride barrels and I believe use Ballistic Advantage, Faxon barrels and probably a few others. So I am sure they absolutely can turn around a quality product, but a lot of the rifles they sling off the shelves are essentially hobby grade.

They also utilize Bushmaster BCG's and Buffer tube assemblies. I know this because I bought two Bushy BCG's and two Bushy carbine buffer tubes/buffer/springs off of them. I know bushy gets a bad wrap but the BCG's were staked exceptionally well and have held up great.

I really like them as individuals also, but I would love them a lot more if they weren't afraid of turning around better stuff and even charging considerably more for it.

Musa

Mar 27, 2020
    Springfield saint victor 7.5 AR pistol

Hi
    I ordered the saint victor online. Is it legal to buy in MD???

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hi
    I ordered the saint victor online. Is it legal to buy in MD???

I'd suggest posting this in an appropriate thread, but since I'm here...

Since it is considered a pistol it needs to be on the MD handgun roster. Assuming it is, you are totally fine and yes it is legal. If it is not, then you must go through the appropriate channels to get it reviewed and added to the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom