What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Got my swage kit for the app. Set it up and started to swage some 223.

Do you have the case feeder and collator? How well does the collator work with .223?

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Do you have the case feeder and collator? How well does the collator work with .223?

I didn’t get the casefeeder (4 tube one) and collator. I want to tho. I did get the deluxe that has the case feeder with one tube, I feed them myself or one of the kids does. Lol. My set up does decent for 223. I saw some mods online so you get less cases tipping over but that only happens every so often so I’m just rocking it how it is. I sized and then swaged 500 or so cases so I only have experience with about 1000 through it. I’m happy since I would have spent the same on the Dillon swage tool but this can do so much more. Plus I got a hornady bullet feed die and tubes for 9mm, so my Dillon 550 will be cranking ammo out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here's an update - Powder Valley happened to have powder, so I bought a little bit, all within keeping inside of Maryland limits of course. ;)

Now if I could only find some primers, I'd stop worrying.

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    I thanked my friend for helping me save space by combining my 224 brass with my 223 and 40 cal with 9mm.

He truly is such a help!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Installed the powder measure and DAA powder checker on my Evo. Still don't have the die pack (c'mon, Lyman, ship it!), but this was pretty good prep work. If they don't ship soon, I might bite the bullet and buy my own set of decapper/swagefoot/expanders and use my Lee 223 dies in the meantime. I am sure I'll eventually get a head for 300AAC and have a use for extras...

The DAA seems OK. Spent an hour or so figuring it out, as the rifle conversion for it is not necessarily obvious to carry out. Definitely seems like it's finicky, but then again, the Dillon powder sensor was no great shakes either, and had a tendency to come out of adjustment for me. It's about what I expect for the money. I do think that once you have it turned for your case, it's relatively easy to adjust for powder load.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Promised Photo

Reload table .jpg

My little basement reloading corner. Photo taken last night, just before I began dismantling it. Going to rebuild. I think the basic plan is good and its a workable bench. I like the basic set up, for multiple tasks.
    I'm, going to remove the rougher scabbed in wood, replace it with hardwood, strengthen the legs and add some Rockler casters, work on some shelves.
    The fun begins again!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    View attachment 310680

My little basement reloading corner. Photo taken last night, just before I began dismantling it. Going to rebuild. I think the basic plan is good and its a workable bench. I like the basic set up, for multiple tasks.
    I'm, going to remove the rougher scabbed in wood, replace it with hardwood, strengthen the legs and add some Rockler casters, work on some shelves.
    The fun begins again!
    Shelves in a reloading space are SO important, and in my case I don't feel like I have enough shelf space. My "bench" is actually two cabinets stacked on top of each other with a work top attached, so I have some space underneath, but I'd really like to have a whole other shelf unit. Problem is, I'm not sure where I'd put it.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Shelves in a reloading space are SO important, and in my case I don't feel like I have enough shelf space. My "bench" is actually two cabinets stacked on top of each other with a work top attached, so I have some space underneath, but I'd really like to have a whole other shelf unit. Problem is, I'm not sure where I'd put it.

I agree, I think, I will remove the half shelf to the right of the bench and replace it with a five shelf unit, and add two or three wood shelves to the back of the bench, go any higher then 3, I wont be able to reach it across the bench top. While the shelving is out, I need to get up and put something more secure in front of the window as well. Safest room in my house excluding that window 3 concrete walls.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    View attachment 310680

The fun begins again!

Lookin' good! Some wall pegboard might be handy. Maybe some stuff from Inline Fabrication would make the wall space more usable.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Today I finally finished tumbling the bucket of mil 9mm brass I'd acquired years ago. I've had my tumbler running almost non-stop for several days, and I swapped out my corn-cob mix for plain walnut a couple of days back. I really need to get some more corn cob - I vastly prefer it to walnut. Or, possibly invest in the small FA wet tumbler? Dunno - I've never been the guy who thinks I need shiny primer pockets and dry tumbling has always more or less gotten it done, but that military brass just does not want to shine. It's clean, but it still holds kind of a burnt color to the brass, and I wonder if a wet tumbler could get it that extra little bit.

So the next thing will be finding some time to fiddle with the Lee APP. I've got a universal decapping die, the primer swage kit, the 4-tube case feeder, and ebay collator coming, so I can't do much until I get all of that together, but I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly it will process that bucket of brass.

And the search for primers continues....

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Today I finally finished tumbling the bucket of mil 9mm brass I'd acquired years ago. I've had my tumbler running almost non-stop for several days, and I swapped out my corn-cob mix for plain walnut a couple of days back. I really need to get some more corn cob - I vastly prefer it to walnut. Or, possibly invest in the small FA wet tumbler? Dunno - I've never been the guy who thinks I need shiny primer pockets and dry tumbling has always more or less gotten it done, but that military brass just does not want to shine. It's clean, but it still holds kind of a burnt color to the brass, and I wonder if a wet tumbler could get it that extra little bit.

So the next thing will be finding some time to fiddle with the Lee APP. I've got a universal decapping die, the primer swage kit, the 4-tube case feeder, and ebay collator coming, so I can't do much until I get all of that together, but I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly it will process that bucket of brass.

And the search for primers continues....

I've only used walnut but add a small amount of Nu-Shine and a couple of used dryer sheets and the LC brass comes out looking clean and shiny.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've only used walnut but add a small amount of Nu-Shine and a couple of used dryer sheets and the LC brass comes out looking clean and shiny.
    Are you talking about Nu Finish? I've tried that in various incarnations, (plain and mixed with Odorless Mineral Spirits) and I think I prefer the Flitz media additive - it just seems to do a better job, particularly with crushed corn cob.

In other news, today I got my Lee Universal Decapping die, so I decided to go ahead and get my Lee APP press set up to see how it would work toward getting that mil brass processed.

I've got to say, this Lee APP is a slick little press. As long as I don't get a hang-up from a hanging ringer where just the end of the primer gets punched and is left dangling, it's literally as fast as I can crank the handle until I run out of brass in the tube, which in the case of 9mm is only 21 rounds. I'm glad I ordered 4 tube case feeder and the ebay 3D printed collator - that's going to help tremendously.

Otherwise, I like how this press functions - the way it's set up with the cams, I don't think I'd mind single-stage reloading on it one bit. As small as it is, it feels like it's maybe actually stronger than my Lee Challenger press.

Don't you love my high tech setup with C clamps to hold it to the bench (at least I've got it mounted to a 2x4! :lol2:) and the Quick Grip clamp to hold my bin in place? I think I'm going to rig up a bracket to hold the bin in place, but for the moment the clamp works.

Attachments

• 4489AB74-4336-451B-B902-646F621EF8FB.jpg
      4489AB74-4336-451B-B902-646F621EF8FB.jpg
      113.6 KB · Views: 202

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    test fired .40 with different powders and weights, selected one that was comfortably over the uspsa major power factor floor and reasonably accurate and loaded a few hundred up today. next on the list is 38 super.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded about a hundred 45 ACP, and fifty 300AAC supers. Gonna use the supers to test the gas system rework I did on my 300 upper (my previous AGB didn't cycle correctly, but I think I know why).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom