MOCO,Can we pop off bb guns in the backyard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Pro Tip: go with wrist rockets and clay ammo balls. Builds muscles along with hand eye coordination and scratching the destructo urge.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Pro Tip: go with wrist rockets and clay ammo balls. Builds muscles along with hand eye coordination and scratching the destructo urge.

Elastic stretchey thingies that launch projectiles also banned.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****This was my understanding as well. I used to use wrist rockets all of the time when I lived in Langley Park back in the day as it was cheaper than a BB gun, and didn't attract so much attention/could be hidden until we got into the woods, etc..

Wrist rockets are great exercise for the forearms and fingers, etc.. and can certainly help improve hand/eye coordination, as well as learning the fundamentals of aiming, windage, etc..

It's a shame MoCo is so strict, but that's what nanny government does for you.

Dunno where in MoCo the OP lives but a cheapie starter bow set with like 15-20 lbs pull and some arrows are a lot of fun for a kid, and Lake Needwood has a nice range that is free to the public and is rarely full. I bought two very basic plastic bows and and they came with arrows and targets for less than $60 at Dicks Sporting Goods at the Rio Shopping Center in Gaithersburg and took a neighbors kids there to get them off the Playstation for awhile and they had a great time, got outdoors, and learned a cool new skill.

But yea, BB guns in the backyard shouldn't be a big deal but in MoCo all it takes is for a neighbor or Karen type with a Moms Demand Action membership to flip out, call the cops, and accuse you of trying to train a youth militia to storm the capital or something..

Some people are really crazy about anything that could be perceived as a weapon up to and including a bb gun, wrist rocket, pop tart shaped like a gun, or even a starter .50BMG Barrett with target loads and mildly depleted Uranium rounds shot into some old phone books in the next county, etc..

It's crazy here in MoCo, that's for sure.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

I found that Chevy Chase explicitly bans slingshots, but I haven’t seen that for the wider county in anything I’ve read. But it’s MD and MoCo so it could be buried beyond easy finding.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Just want to take down some beer cans with some bad ass little ADHD's so they can get off an ipad for an hour.
    If you are outside of the urban area and have the required distances, yes. We shoot real guns out here. If you are inside the urban area, you are out of luck.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Do it, let them lock you up for shooting a red ryder into a soup can in the backyard. The fact that this is even seen as a serious question is ridiculous. Where are the we will not comply people ? If you're really afraid of karen you could always shoot inside the house. 4H kids do 10 meter air rifle almost exclusively inside, we use homemade pellet traps and a backstop curtain for misses.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thank God for the Nanny State!

I'm 74 yrs old, and I can count on the fingers of no hands all the kids I've known who lost an eye shooting BB guns.

The David vs Goliath sling is not on the banned list in MoCo, far as I know. However, it's more challenging to master, and can be lethal, which is obviously a plus. Theey go back well into the pre-Christian eras, a coule thousand years BC.

Nice link on the weapon:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Do it, let them lock you up for shooting a red ryder into a soup can in the backyard. The fact that this is even seen as a serious question is ridiculous. Where are the we will not comply people ? If you're really afraid of karen you could always shoot inside the house. 4H kids do 10 meter air rifle almost exclusively inside, we use homemade pellet traps and a backstop curtain for misses.

Yup.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I once walked up on two Rooskies shooting pellet pistols on the Lake Needwood archery range. They said "...but sign says range...". LOL

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The short answer is no the long answer is I’ve been doing just that for 30 years

Yeah, but when the MoCo SWAT team comes out, you flash your badge and they let your dog live.

Only the police and military can get away with shooting BB guns in their back yard in MoCo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom