Remembering Ledo's and Jerry's before they were chains.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    quarry house

"The Quarry" comes to mind for that place. I think it burned.

they moved across the street to a bigger place. They closed earlier this year to move back in that basement. My father even remembers Quarry House. And he is in his mid 80's. Acts in his 60's though. Outshoots me with my 9mm with his Ruger SR45.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Good to see a lot from down that way. I know Outrider58 went to school down there and has told me many stories. lol

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I consider cooking to be so unique and complex that even on a commercial level, I find it hard to replicate many published recipes (like Ledos Pizza). I have fond memories of Ledos Pizza, but I can't remember if there was any difference between the pizza served in Adelphi or if the other places were 'chains/franchises'. I think food is social. Ledos was 'ok' when I first tried it. After many times there in many locations with many large groups, I grew to love and crave it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Kiddy Land was at New Hampshire Ave. and East West Hwy. My mom used to take us grocery shopping at the old A&P, which is now ALDI. No car seats, and two toddlers crawling around in the backseat, playing with whatever we found in the ashtrays. We would go to the car wash next door, which is still there. Ice cream at Weile's which is now a pawnshop. The local pawnshop had a big black and white photo of Weile's on the wall until they got bought out by First Cash. One of the employees took it. We used to get shoes at Shoe Giant and Daniel's Bootery. I've got an old sign from Shoe Giant that used to hang on the back of the building.

Great picture!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009

Attachments

• IMG_2863.JPG
      IMG_2863.JPG
      57.8 KB · Views: 142
    • IMG_2864.jpg
      IMG_2864.jpg
      84 KB · Views: 151

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Pure gold.

I arrived here long after they were gone. Anyone care to describe what their ice cream creations were like? I love the names!

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    "The Quarry" comes to mind for that place. I think it burned.
    That's it.. the Quarry House. Darts, beers, and chicken tenders every Friday/Saturday night then up to Olney or Sunshine for a field party, or off to 75 & 80 for some runs with my old man's GTO. Damn good times!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I'll see your Shepard Park and raise you Three Captains....and a bunch of Pagans.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.JPG
      IMG_2873.JPG
      63.7 KB · Views: 134
    • IMG_2872.JPG
      IMG_2872.JPG
      53.6 KB · Views: 138

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    +2 for Nicks.. used to go there every day before heading to GC and then to Chuck Levin's after school to hammer away on one of their guitars for an hour or two...

I go back to the area every now and again, it ain't the same

EDIT: what was the name of that little hole in the wall pub in Silver Spring across from where the metro is now.. it was down a flight of stairs, Georgia Ave. and Ellsworth? I doubt it's still there but man the stories I have from that place..

Naw, it is FAR from what it was when I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. It used to be really well rounded between social classes and all ethnic make ups. My Brother 10 years my senior, and I would always feel safe while routinely walking or biking up to Wheaton Plaza as kids. Even after the whole Lyon Sister's thing - just settled btw. Chuck Levin's was another place we too used to go after school, Lil Tavern next door, University Arcade, Hobby & Arts, Barbarian Comics, Surplus Plus (now Ranger Surplus in Rockville), and then back to University Arcade... I would NEVER let my kids walk Wheaton Triangle alone these days. Its ripe with MS13, and generally sketchy individuals. Two dudes were stabbed to death in the Wheaton Mall (formerly Wheaton Plaza) just this past January. The Metro Station has only made it worse, bringing in more transient vagrants.

The Pub you speak of in Downtown Silver Spring is the one around the corner from Atlantic Guns - Bonifant & Georgia, yes? That'd be The Quarry House Tavern! Miss that dive. It sadly closed in 2015 when a fire in the Indian restaurant above caused water damage in the basement tavern. They moved across the street to where this failing Piratz Tavern was for now. I think they may even be planning on moving back to the basement, but that joint was FAR from up to code - remember the crazy bathrooms? So they likely have to do some major renovation before moving back in. Best damned beer and liquor menu this side of the DC line, and those burgers n tots, awe man, I miss that joint!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The Quarry House was great. A guy called "The Chief" was always telling me he liked "pretty boys" Ha ha ha.
    I also remember Gifford's Ice Cream. Big treat as a kid when McDonald's was a treat, not an everyday option.
    Remember Chances R and Shepard's Park?
    Tastee Diner in Bethesda for 2am breakfast after a night in the Psychedeli?
    Sunny's Surplus in Bethesda. I think it became "The Foam Store" or something.
    Too many, too much, why does it feel good to remember these places?

I wonder how many of us ran into each other in places like the Quarry House or Hot Shoppes Jr and are members here now? Big small town.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hadn't thought of Gino's in years loved eating there, I remember that they were one of the first to have a all you eat Salad bar.
    Jerry's in Wheaton was awesome, Wish it never changed
    Nicks was were I ate many breakfasts with my Dad ,he loved the home fries.
    Continental pizza and subs in Kensington on Connecticut Ave.
    Hot Shops in Wheaton Plazas, pancakes with strawberries
    Stained Glass Pub, Worked in the kitchen one summer, Wouldn'teat there if I was starving.

Continental and Stained Glass are the only 2 holdouts from that list... I never actually tried their pizza that was supposedly all the rage. You can STILL never find parking there.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    one of my younger brothers was there at that time. Rob Engels. remember Master Bates. lolol.

Rob was a Drummer with me in band and jazz band. He was a year ahead of me. I think we may have had this convo a few years back. Ha! Hehe yeah, Midget Master Bates. That Gym Teacher had so many strikes against him. Remember his counterpart Mr. Hylton? He was a Vietnam Vet and one time at a Football Practice he lost his mind when someone yelled INCOMING on a loose pass towards him. Hit the deck and I thought he was gonna choke the kid! :shocking:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    The Quarry House was great. A guy called "The Chief" was always telling me he liked "pretty boys" Ha ha ha.
    I also remember Gifford's Ice Cream. Big treat as a kid when McDonald's was a treat, not an everyday option.
    Remember Chances R and Shepard's Park?
    Tastee Diner in Bethesda for 2am breakfast after a night in the Psychedeli?
    Sunny's Surplus in Bethesda. I think it became "The Foam Store" or something.
    Too many, too much, why does it feel good to remember these places?

I wonder how many of us ran into each other in places like the Quarry House or Hot Shoppes Jr and are members here now? Big small town.

My understanding was that Surplus Plus / Sunny's Surplus / Ranger Surplus were all one and the same. Sunny's in Bethesda was getting pushed out for the rents, but good on them for bailing early, as Marriott just bought out much of that "Old Bethesda" area, and would have been pushed out anyway. They've kept the Rockville store, and opened up a newer one to replace Bethesda up in Fredneck, kinda across from the mall on Buckeystown Pike.

Funny how no one mentioned Tastee Diner of Silver Spring - its still forgettable... Tastee in Bethesda is destined to sell out to Marriott as well. They are making their HQ there, and buying up literally blocks of Bethesda.

After hearing some of y'all's recollections, I think some of you were more likely to have run into my elder 55yr old brother, than my youngin 45 year old self. :rolleyes: Hehe

Who's up for some duckpin bowling!? ROFL Triangle Lanes and Glenmont Arcade Lanes are long gone, but White Oak Lanes still remains....for now!

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    Rob was a Drummer with me in band and jazz band. He was a year ahead of me. I think we may have had this convo a few years back. Ha! Hehe yeah, Midget Master Bates. That Gym Teacher had so many strikes against him. Remember his counterpart Mr. Hylton? He was a Vietnam Vet and one time at a Football Practice he lost his mind when someone yelled INCOMING on a loose pass towards him. Hit the deck and I thought he was gonna choke the kid! :shocking:
    I stopped playing football at GC because of Hilton.. lol.. he was a loose canon. That and they started an ice hockey team my sophomore year. Was Mr. Arnold there during your tenure??? oh the pranks we played on him and his old Ford Ranger.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I stopped playing football at GC because of Hilton.. lol.. he was a loose canon. That and they started an ice hockey team my sophomore year. Was Mr. Arnold there during your tenure??? oh the pranks we played on him and his old Ford Ranger.

Oh yeah I remember Arnold. I never had him for Science, but he was a good bud of mine's Cross Country Coach. He used to keep his dogs in that Ranger during their practices. That dude seemed psycho too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom